Limiter/Compressor on D.I track before Reamping ?

• Hello all,

I have made several D.I tracks (Spdif Git/Stack setting) while first recording my bass.
    Now i'd like to reamp those D.I tracks but i have a lots of volume variation, the input light blinks yellow and even red from time to time.
    If i lower the volume i loose gain, so i'd like to know if i can compress or limit (without killing dynamics) the D.I track before sending it to the Kemper.
    (Modern Alt Metal music, precision bass, Ampeg SVT Profile.)
    I'd realy like to have some advices on the method and plugins to use, to ensure having a smooth reamping experience and results.

Thanks in advance for you help ! ;)

• Hey mate.

I'd be inclined to reamp with the dynamics intact. That way the tonal variations brought about by hitting the amp with varying levels of intensity will help add realism and interest to the resulting sound. You can then smooth levels out with compression (plugins) after the fact.

• Thanks for your answer ! :)
    Although i agree with you, the goal is to cut some loud "peaks" not kill dynamics.
    Without those peaks, the input light blinks green all the time, i just want to avoid lowering volume and loose gain in the end.
    I've put Fabfilter proL2 which is famous for its transparency and did some testings, seems working well so far.
    There are lots of cases (if not most of them) where you put a compressor/limiter between the Bass and the amp, somehow this is the same thing here.

What do you guys think ? I'd realy like to have some feedback and read about your experiments.

• This is true for the OUTPUT LED section in the manual. ;)

Here is what the INPUT section says : " The INPUT LED provides a further gauge for correct leveling: the LED should flash yellow when you hit the strings hard - try to avoid deep orange or red color. "

Despite clipping problems, too much input volume while reamping seems to have the same effect as turning the gain button up.

• Occasional red is OK. Occasional - meaning for "scarce" peaks only. This has been confirmed by Kemper here on the forum. Note that the manual said, "... try to avoid..." when it spoke of going into the red. It didn't say your tone will instantly go to shite, because it won't... unless your signal actually lives there as opposed to poking its head in the door once in a while. The internal headroom on the unit is huge, BTW, in case you were wondering.

If you're reamping and still worried about it, turn the feed from your DAW down a couple 'o dB. If you're playing, back the bass' volume knob off 10%.

• I guess that some bass players use a compressor before an amp in a normal playing situation, so use your ears and see if it sounds good really. I sometimes use automation to boost single note sections on a DI track before a guitar re-amp, but have not resorted to a limiter before.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 10.2.2 - Mac Sonoma 14.5

• Occasional red is OK. Occasional - meaning for "scarce" peaks only. This has been confirmed by Kemper here on the forum. Note that the manual said, "... try to avoid..." when it spoke of going into the red. It didn't say your tone will instantly go to shite, because it won't... unless your signal actually lives there as opposed to poking its head in the door once in a while. The internal headroom on the unit is huge, BTW, in case you were wondering.

If you're reamping and still worried about it, turn the feed from your DAW down a couple 'o dB. If you're playing, back the bass' volume knob off 10%.

Yes, i was indeed wondering ! :D
    I see perfectly what you mean, thanks for this detailed answer. I was indeed trying to avoid orange and red blinking at all costs, in the DAW world it is -usualy- bad and a clipping indicator.

I guess that some bass players use a compressor before an amp in a normal playing situation, so use your ears and see if it sounds good really. I sometimes use automation to boost single note sections on a DI track before a guitar re-amp, but have not resorted to a limiter before.

Yes, automation is a good idea.