OwnHammer in the KPA

• Hi all,

I know that OwnHammer provides Kemper versions of their cabs. But, despite what OwnHammer claims in their READ-ME text, the names of the converted files remain too long for the KPA display. You can't actually see what cab you're loading (except that it's an OwnHammer, the details of the cab come after that). Even when I do a batch edit of the file names with the Mac's Automator program, the KPA still displays them as they were originally named.

My work around has been to rename the original .wav files and then convert them in Cab Maker. Then they display as I want them to in the KPA.

Question #1: Using Cab Maker for renaming purposes is not a big deal, but is there a more efficient way?

Question #2 OwnHammer uses the mono, 44.1k, truncated versions (.200ms vs .500ms) as their default Kemper files. Should I infer then, that I can't use/convert the non-truncated versions with a higher bit rate?

Thanks,

John

• Renaming utilities are to be found online - eg CKRename if you are on PC.

Kemper does not accept long impulse responses and works at a fixed sampling rate. The selections offered by Ownhammer are the ones for the job.

• OwnHammer is not the only name in the game - I recently bought some IRs from Red Wire and finally got around to playing with them. All I can say is WOW! Not every IR is desirable but they give you a wide selection of mics with consistent mic position variations. I bought several packs but only loaded a Marshal 4x12 with K120s (a close approximation to a Jerry Garcia cabinet for what its worth). I tested a bunch and found generally I like the mic center and 0"-3". Settled on 1" as a compromise and narrowed it down to 4 mics. Copied a couple of my regular rigs into performances, set up the 4 mics with an SM57 I didn't care for quite as much as the others for a 'control', and bam. Got so caught up in jamming I forgot what I was doing. Eventually I settled for a Beyerdynamic M160 at 1" as my favorite. Duped my four most used performances and copy/pasted into each rig/stack. Looking forward to trying these out at my next gig!

This really helps me a lot as I am not much of a tweak paramaters kind of user - I much prefer presets and set and forget - much of why I like M. Britt's profiles. But, now I can expand upon those easily by switching out the cabs. Too much fun... LOL!

• Using Cab Maker for renaming purposes is not a big deal, but is there a more efficient way?

I've been happily using Total Commander (TAFKA Window Commander) since years for a vast number of applications. One of the best file managers for Windows ever IMO!
    Among its functions there's batch file renaming. You can use extremely complex parameters if you want, remove characters, add characters where you want, add a progressive counter and the like.

You can d\l a working demo which will do the job.

Ah, it's a German app :)