One or two FRFR cabs and which model?

• I have recently purchased a Kemper and am loving it so far!

I used it through two DXR12 speakers at a rehearsal last night and it sounded good, although slightly boomy. I have been reading that most users are liking the DXR10 or Atomic CLR cabs.

The first question (asked many times before) is which of the two choices should I buy? Any help in deciding would be greatly appreciated as they are vastly different in price.

Next question is do users of FRFR cabs mainly have one cab or a pair for stereo? I presume one for monitoring purposes if a PA is involved, but does anyone out there play in a solo/duo/etc. situation with Kemper and FRFR cabs and does stereo make a huge difference?

I gig in many different styles and mainly use Strat and Vox AC30 for band gigs and Archtop through Polytone for solo, duo, trio, etc jazz gigs. I also play in a duo with a vocalist using my Archtop which requires more acoustic "zing", so in this situation, I also use a DPA 4099 gooseneck microphone on the Archtop mixed with DI when playing at larger venues through a PA.

I am thinking that Kemper and FRFR cab (or cabs) can cover:

Band gigs - Main out to FOH with either in ear monitoring or FRFR monitoring.
    Jazz gigs - use of stereo would potentially give a much larger sound, especially playing solo or with a vocalist.
    "Pop" duo gigs - Kemper for pickup sound mixed with DPA microphone on guitar body, both through FRFR and/or FOH.
    As a bass amp.
    For recording.

If my plan is successful, the Kemper and FRFR (one or two?) will be able to replace a ton of other gear! I love my AC30 (hardwired version) with the Strat and don't want to sell it, although will need funds to pay for all the other gear so might have to!

Thanks and sorry for the long post, although I figured I would get all my thoughts down in one hit!

• Hi, i tryed the dxr 10 , its not so bad. I bought a atomic reactor and resold it after some month, because i checked out a rcf 10" sma frfr at the last trade in frankfurt ( in the kemper bus). This blows me away. I directely bought one. Check it out before you by another frfr.

• Another FRFR contender... thanks for making me aware of the rcf cab.

I don't own an FRFR cab yet as the one I tried was borrowed from a singer. Do you use just one rcf cab? Two would obviously be a huge expense, but I am thinking about the advantages of stereo effects.

• Hi, i tryed the dxr 10 , its not so bad. I bought a atomic reactor and resold it after some month, because i checked out a rcf 10" sma frfr at the last trade in frankfurt ( in the kemper bus). This blows me away. I directely bought one. Check it out before you by another frfr.

Hi .

Are there big differences between DXR 10 and RCF ?
    Now I 'am in the shop and buying DXR.:-) .
    RCF is 300 € more expensive.
    Thank you

• I'd consider going Mono, I do a lot of shows at different venues and found it's almost impossible to get stereo to sound good in the audience. There's always that one perfect spot that balances well but the majority of the crowd will never hear it or notice it missing. Has made my setup a lot quicker now that I stopped caring lol.

• I'm in the UK but looks like they are available here too.

Good point about the audience hearing the sweet spot or not. I was thinking stereo being more helpful for solo and duo gigs to help give a bigger guitar sound when I am the only instrument. Lots to think about with this new piece of gear!

• I was intending to go stereo when I bought my Mission Gemini cabs, oddly enough it was the tech at Mission Engineering that talked me out of it. I use 2 Gemini 1Ps and a Matrix GT800FX in mono and couldn't be happier. I use a pitch detune to cheat a bit if I think the venue needs me to sound bigger.

• It's quite difficult to evaluate a cab's boominess in a closed environment, unless you know the room's acoustic modes by heart. These cabs are usually quite linear (the CLR being the most linear of all in the price tange), but even placing them on the ground or raised up on a pole makes them sound differently, because the floor enforces some frequencies.

HTH :)

• Another FRFR contender... thanks for making me aware of the rcf cab.

I don't own an FRFR cab yet as the one I tried was borrowed from a singer. Do you use just one rcf cab? Two would obviously be a huge expense, but I am thinking about the advantages of stereo effects.

I use on frfr on the left main out its placed in front of me as a monitor. On my back, for the real boom i use a mesa boogie rectifyer 2x12 V 30 real cab powered by a linear 800 Watt power am. Its the t. Amp e 800 from Thoman Germany. I use this one at the monitor out with sim cab off. For the rcf i fixed a boogie recty V30 cab sim, so i have nearly the same sound in front and in the back of me. At studio level, the frfr sounds a little more hifi and the real cab muffeld a little bit. When i crank the system up there is a big smile on my face.
    awesome pressure and a lot of power becauce the rsf have 400 watts.

cheers
    Frank

• Hi .

Are there big differences between DXR 10 and RCF ?
    Now I 'am in the shop and buying DXR.:-) .
    RCF is 300 € more expensive.
    Thank you

IMHO there is a big difference. But these are my 2 cents.
    The rcf is much clearer and have a very good definition in bass. I discussed it with a guy from kpa at the trade. He uses the rcf 12" and he told me that he resell it to buy the 10" version because it sounds much better. I love this pretty little thing. A lot of fun, because the sound is really good.
    ok, 300€ up but i have learned a lot about good, bad cheap and expensive equipment over the years.
    Last experience: I bought the atomic reactor amp, used for 500€, and i was not happy with the sound ( many users are happy). But when i have heard the rcf it was another world. Its the same with the real cab. Also a big difference if you compare it to the frfr. Over decades, the best guitar heroes are using big cabs with V30 speakers, also at this time.
    It cant be so wrong.
    cheers
    Frank

• I'd consider going Mono, I do a lot of shows at different venues and found it's almost impossible to get stereo to sound good in the audience. There's always that one perfect spot that balances well but the majority of the crowd will never hear it or notice it missing. Has made my setup a lot quicker now that I stopped caring lol.

This! Mono for gigs, stereo for recording. I aggree

• It's quite difficult to evaluate a cab's boominess in a closed environment, unless you know the room's acoustic modes by heart. These cabs are usually quite linear (the CLR being the most linear of all in the price tange), but even placing them on the ground or raised up on a pole makes them sound differently, because the floor enforces some frequencies.

HTH :)

Thats a big point. It has to be linear with no soundshaping . This is the point why i have sold my old rocktron velocity poweramp. Its not linear and shapes the sound of the profiles with the reactance tube sim cirquit. After i checked out the linear t.amp i bought it directely because it was much clearer.

I use on frfr on the left main out its placed in front of me as a monitor. On my back, for the real boom i use a mesa boogie rectifyer 2x12 V 30 real cab powered by a linear 800 Watt power am. Its the t. Amp e 800 from Thoman Germany. I use this one at the monitor out with sim cab off. For the rcf i fixed a boogie recty V30 cab sim, so i have nearly the same sound in front and in the back of me. At studio level, the frfr sounds a little more hifi and the real cab muffeld a little bit. When i crank the system up there is a big smile on my face.awesome pressure and a lot of power becauce the rsf have 400 watts.

That sounds like an amazing setup!

It's quite difficult to evaluate a cab's boominess in a closed environment, unless you know the room's acoustic modes by heart. These cabs are usually quite linear (the CLR being the most linear of all in the price tange), but even placing them on the ground or raised up on a pole makes them sound differently, because the floor enforces some frequencies.

I borrowed the DXR12 last night and found a switch that I changed from 'FOH' to 'Monitor'. That helped a great deal with boominess. I use an Auralex Gramma under my Vox cab usually and that helps on some problematic stages. I will try that out with whatever solution I buy as it will probably help with FRFR on the floor too.

• That sounds like an amazing setup!

I borrowed the DXR12 last night and found a switch that I changed from 'FOH' to 'Monitor'. That helped a great deal with boominess. I use an Auralex Gramma under my Vox cab usually and that helps on some problematic stages. I will try that out with whatever solution I buy as it will probably help with FRFR on the floor too.

Yes it is amazing. The t.amp 800 is not so expensive, but the boogie and the rcf are not the cheapest choice. I have forgotten: The rcf has a little knob to switch between nearfield ( when you playing at home and you sit right in front of it at bedroom level) and wide field when you use it on stage. You can use it on the floor as a monitor and you can use it with a speaker stand. There is a whole for that.
    cheers from Germany, home of the kpa

• Quote: “I borrowed the DXR12 last night and found a switch that I changed from 'FOH' to 'Monitor'. That helped a great deal with boominess. I use an Auralex Gramma under my Vox cab usually and that helps on some problematic stages. I will try that out with whatever solution I buy as it will probably help with FRFR on the floor too

Yep, excellent product! It helps decoupling the cab and the floor, and helps for a "purer" sound.
    +1 for the switch, I guess "FOH" means "on a pole" and "Monitor" "on the floor".
    None of the two will change the room's resonances tho, something to be aware of.

:)