Suggestions for more "traditional" approach?

• I typically use my KPA with in-ear-monitors live or in the studio with reference monitors.

Once in a while I'll bring out the CLR when the IEMs don't need to be there.

But lately I've been wanting to use it in a more traditional amp/cab format where I'm playing a real amp in a real room.

Ideally probably a 1x12 size... maybe a 2x12 depending on size and weight.

What's the best option out there, Matrix? Xitone? I'd rather not wait on the Atomic wait list again for a Cab.

My KPA is passive, so I'd need a power amp too unless the speaker is active.

And yes, I know I can put the CLR on a pole, or on its side, or whatever, but it still doesn't quite have the pant-leg-shaking feel of a big cabinet that I like once in a while. Sometimes an old guy just needs more air moving.

Thanks for any insights you have before I take the plunge.

• Xitone's offerings are FR, so that won't do you much good. Matrix have a great reputation but they can be crazy expensive if you aren't in Europe. I'd suggest looking at Avatar cabs, or Mojotone. They're both pretty well-regarded, have a ton of style choices, and reasonable prices.

Alternatively, you could give the Mission Gemini Duo a go: http://missionengineering.com/?product=gemini-duo - it has a FR speaker and a guitar speaker, so you can switch between them if you feel like it.

• Before you spend a lot of money, try using a Fender Mustang III via the effects return. Numerous people here on the forum run with one of these off the monitor output of the KPA.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Here follow what Mr. Mitchell, CLR's designer, wrote on the matter:

Of course, it's implicitly stated that the CLR can do the trick :D

• Well I guess I asked for that with my original question 8|

I use an active CLR now and it's great - don't get me wrong.

A head through a 4x12, however, just has a different vibe than a profile of that same head through a CLR. I'm not saying one is better, they just serve a different purpose. (if I run the same head through my torpedo live into the CLR it's the same as the profile... the cab is the difference here.)

There a certain "thump" factor, for lack of a better word, that a big cabinet provides. And I've cranked up the CLR and it sounds fantastic... just not quite the same.

No worries, I figured on the answers I got and I'll look into some options.

• I hear ya man and completely agree with your need for that thump in your face sound.

Let me first say I don't play metal, Never got the whole screaming metal vibe. I do play blues, country, jazz, and rock. I also play classical/flamenco, but that is for another discussion.

I have tried a number of FR and FRFR solutions including the Matrix and CLR offerings but finally moved to a traditional cab with a tube amp. I could not get the sound from FR and FRFR speakers that I grew up on.

Long story short, I finally decided to run the KPA into a Fryette 2/50/2 with a Port City 2x12 sporting two Jensen Blackbird speakers. The PC 2x12 sounds as full as a 4x12 due to it's ported design. The KPA has the Cabs disabled, and the sound I get rivals any traditional amp/cab combo I have tried.

For me, my style of playing and the feel I want, this has been a complete revelation. :)
    Good luck.

BTW, I also have a small Suhr Corso 5 watt amp with a Port City 1x12 that sounds great with the KPA and does't take prisoners.
    Great for the studio/house.