Amp in the room simulation

• Dear folks

a may be stupid and obvious trick....For many combos the amp in the room sounds more 3 dimensional compared to the Kemper Profile through monitors or FRFR. This probably due to the fact that the combo may sit on the floor and has an open back. I tried to configure the FRFR in a different way therefore. One directing to myself and the other one in the back of the first FRFR directing to the opposite side and at about 30% less volume. Sounds pretty much like the real combo .... But you lose the stereo effects. May be this is of interest for some guys here.

Cheers
    Sacapuntas

• Via FRFR the KPA is not so much like "amp in the room", but like a mic'd amp through PA-speakers. This fact is known. If you like the KPA to sound like amp in the room, go for a guitar cab and switch the cab sim off on Monitor Out. Hope this helps. :)

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Maybe I'm odd (well, yeah), but when I'm in my home studio I prefer the sound of my stereo monitors. They're little JBL LSR305's, but they sound heavenly to me. I can't even imagine how great the high-end monitors sound. In a band setting it's a different dynamic ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Maybe I'm odd (well, yeah), but when I'm in my home studio I prefer the sound of my stereo monitors. They're little JBL LSR305's, but they sound heavenly to me. I can't even imagine how great the high-end monitors sound. In a band setting it's a different dynamic ...

Am sure they sound kick-ass, Zappledan. Even my dinky first-gen Dynaudios sound unearthly with the Kemper blasting through them.

I wouldn't really adjust the volumes on different speakers to achieve a stereo setup. The reverb and delay work should give you of a stereo image as is.

• Diego,
    the matter of the amp-in-the-room has been discussed since digital preamps came out.
    It's of course possible to approximate the effect to many extents, but let's talk for a moment of a real reproduction of the sound of an amp in the room.

The basic point of the difference you're noticing is that the mic which was used to profile the amp was placed very close to the loudspeaker, and was not calibrated.
    If you had one ear only, and put it against the loudspeaker of the real amp, you'd hear more or less the same sound (minus the mic's non-linearities and other issues) you'd hear playing the Profiler through a perfectly linear FRFR system.

What mostly makes a difference here is the different room's reflections the mic and your ear record. Not in terms of reverberations, but in terms of how the sum of reflections change the sonic spectrum overall.

In order for a full profile (or an IR) to really sound like the amp in the room, many things are necessary: the profile (or the IR) has to be taken in far-field mode (i.e. not with the mic close to the loudspeaker), the mic has to be calibrated, you'll have to know how to manage the reflections during the take, and - last but not least - the playback system has to be perfectly linear and transparent.
    Of course, the device you playback through has to be able to well reproduce the interactions between the power amp and the loudspeaker (which we admit the Profiler can do :D).

All this is assuming that you want the profile to sound like the am which was profiled in the same room. If you need another room's character, then things get much more complicated.

HTH

• As soon as our ears get the same signal as we got via the guitar cabinet in the first place - then it sounds the same.

Yes, as mentioned before there are a few things which color the sound in a different way.

a) The mic('s) & microphone placement
    b) The quality of the additional gear and connections
    c) The room used during recording(profiling)
    d) The recording device / profiler
    e) The quality of your monitor system
    f) The room where you listen (play)

Some notes:

a) since the early POD / Vetta times were we all told that a modeler can't sound like the real amp because of the strange mic coloring.
    IMHO was this only a marketing statement to hide the limited quality of the models - which sound (more or less) close to a real amp - via a telephone - and chaning the 'model' sounded like using a different type of telephone

Yes, with the mic and placement CAN the recording/profile sound like a (close miked) amp - but with another setup can it be VERY close to the sound of the 'amp in the room'.

b) A quality recording(/profile needs more than just a SM57 - to sound close to 'the amp next to me' - in most cases it needs more than one microphone, quality mic preamps, cables, time to find the right placement ... and

c) a good recording/profiling room

d) The profiler is the best available - so IMHO is it not the limiting factor - more the profile itself - which depends on all the points above

e) A full blown 100 Watt amp next to you will NEVER sound close to a recording/profile of it via a small 6" speaker system.

f) When playing back a recording / using a profile - we hear two rooms:
    the one used during recording
    the one we are playing

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Any contribution is welcome, and I appreciate Diego's suggestion, AFAIG :)

Technical threads like this are IMO useful not only for the people involved in real time, but for those who are going to read it later as well. I think it never hurts to supply more information for those interested in a real AITR sound.
    (Sorry if this sounded OT :))

@ Armin: there are certainly many possible approximations of an AITR sound, and what matters most in the end is that the player gets a feeling and a sound they love. But in order to get an IR which sounds like the original amp in that room you nee a test microphone, as Jay Mitchell has stated several times. Of course the mic's personality changes that sound, regardless how much we like it.

IMO, it never hurts to go to the root of things for those who are genuinely interested, like myself. As usual, YMMV :D

:)