Posts by DonPetersen

the amount of gain can have an impact on how much impact Tube Shape has

" Tube Shape
    “Tube Shape” controls the distortion characteristics of the tubes, ranging from very soft to very hard. All kinds of crunch sounds can be dialed up - from warm blues, to singing metallic, to harsh. Depending on the gain setting or the playing style, the resulting effect can be rather subtle; completely distorted sounds are mostly unaffected by this parameter, as are clean sounds. Set the value to 3 to simulate the typical sound of preamp tubes. To achieve a power amp tube character, try setting “Tube Shape” to around 9. Power amp tubes produce a much harder distortion, because the negative feedback in the power amp circuit linearizes the tube amplification, making the distortion curve edgier.

 Tube Bias
    “Tube Bias” influences the overtone structure of the distortion. While the effect on the character of the sound is fairly subtle, you should feel a quite a difference in the distortion dynamics: as you increase the amount of “Tube Bias” the guitar will go into distortion much earlier in the dynamic range, yet still retain a lot of dynamic headroom. At maximum value, the distortion characteristics mimic those of a Tube Screamer™."

I just find it to be "unnatural" Even if you take an amp miked center cone with gain and treble cranked, chances are it won't come out with definition of 10.

there's a certain breed of 'boutique' amps that will indeed have such a high Definition setting when profiled - also modern metal amps

"Vintage amps distort the lower harmonics in the guitar signal which gives them their bluesy sound. These amps were originally designed to deliver a clean sound, so if you want a creamy distortion, these amps need to be driven by a typical transistor-based device like a treble booster. Modern tube amps use a different approach, in which the higher overtones of the guitar strings are the driving force for the distorted sound. The expensive boutique amps take this concept one step further, by providing an extreme level of top-end frequencies and a large dynamic range. The distortion has a sparkling quality to it and preserves every nuance of the strings and pickups."

here are the environmental requirements as listed in the maunal:

Environmental Requirements
    Operating temperature: 5° to 45° C (41° to 113° F)
    Non-operating temperature: −20° to 47° C (−4° to 116° F)
    Relative humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing
    Maximum altitude: 2000 m (6560 feet)

Thinking of going powered toaster (or unpowered and a powerstage) in a 1x12 cab… thoughts …real cab vs frfr…

Second liquid profiling…do old profiles convert? Or do I need to start over?

The Kabinet instantly convinced me.
    Before, I used various 'FRFR' wedges etc., 4x12 cabinets, both traditional and made for modelers, a custom 1x12 with a Cannabis Rex speaker, but none compare.

You can elevate PROFILEs to Liquid Profiles if:
    a) the relevant Amp Model is implemented
    and
    b) the exact settings of the amp during the original profiling process are known

lots of options:

for the classic octave up fuzz sound, use any of the Kemper Fuzz presets with 'Octavia' in the name

or, use the Octa Shaper to create the octave up

you can also actually play the higher note and let the Analog Octave add the octave below,
    or, playing the upper octave, use Chromatic Pitch one octave down

The Green Scream functions more as a booster or EQ rather than a drive, as it boosts the MIDs while cutting the LOWs.

if you set it with a low Drive setting, yes. The Green Scream is quite capable of creating it's own overdrive when the Drive control is turned up.
    It's inherent mid-heavy tone is no accident and has proven itself again and again over multiple decades and genres as different as Roots Blues and Djent.

there are quite a few variants of a Cry Baby wah out there, Fasel inductor, Whipple inductor etc.
    many of those are already available as Wah presets in the PROFILER

The PROFILER's wah is very tweakable, so if there is something you don't find optimal (range of travel, the way the resonance changes when sweeping up, etc.) simply adjust the corresponding parameter(s) - it's like modding a pedal, but without the need to open it and a soldering iron.

Hello Kemper family,

I have a question about delay settings. Is there a way to set my delays exactly like I want them? When I’m setting something for a dotted 8th I can’t get it to have the tempo I want. Even using the tap tempo button, I still can’t get it to be what I am wanting. I play at my church and certain songs will have a dotted 8th delay and the delay will have a certain gallop. It seems to me that we should be able to dial it in exactly. Please advise. Thanks.

David

dotted 8th note = 3/16th

the trick is to stay in the tempo where the delay actually IS a dotted 8th - it's very easy to adjust the tempo to make it an even 8th.
    you'll need a backing track to keep your playing in time, otherwise the pull towards straight 8th notes might be too much ;)

Whilst I do love positions 2 and 4 on a Srat personally. I've heard Nile say many times that he used the neck pickup of the hitmaker almost exclusively.

great info.

but as always, trust your ears.
    pickups can sound wildly different, especially if used in an in between position. I get god funk sounds out of my neck, neck middle and middle pickup, with different levels of attack and body, and then there is the picking position and of course the pick itself.

check out the Nile Rodgers (Nil Rod) and Andy Summers (And Sum) rigs in Thomas Dill's excellent Tribute Collection (Rig Manager)

As an example, when the reverb engine was greatly updated (overhauled), it was done by adding NEW reverb modules in addition to the exiting (legacy) reverb modules. If a rig was using the legacy reverb engine, it continued to sound exactly the same after the update.

I very much like this approach :).

also, you can switch from Legacy Reverb to Easy Reverb or Natural Reverb and all the parameters are kept, giving you the same sound but extended possibilities. (same is true for Legacy Delay)