Posts by Tommacool

Ever heard the Beatles albums? Or the old Kiss Casablanca vinyls ? (bad drum sounds)Those albums sold more than the over compressed loudness adjusted "super mix" albums ever will. Good songs> good drum sounds.

How much an album sells has nothing to do with how well it's mixed. Not sure you why you even mentioned that.
    Also how much something sells doesn't equate if it's good / bad / whatever. If following that logic Justin Bieber is one of the best artists of all time :p

Well on Justice album they turned the bass all the way down on purpose. There are a lot of remixed albums on youtube where you can feel and hear the bass. It does actually sound a bit weird since it fights with the scooped guitars a lot. But if you want to practice, I mean.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I remember in the later 80's-early 90 when guitarists were doing the big scoop sounds that had tons of low end. Bass players were drowned out and covered up. I'd hear them say "I might as well just turn it off". Then bass players started having this real midrangy cutting, springy sound with less bass to be heard through the detuned, bass heavy guitars. So the guitars were playing bass and bass taking the middle.

Like this? :D

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

that's a pretty common approach when the guy doing the mix is also the guitarist ;)

Probably, but not me cause I love a good drum and bass sound too. If your mix has a bad drum sound, everything will fall apart. But you have to have a foundation when you mix. Or you will just mix into oblivion. I mean you have to cling onto something and have a vision before you start. Worst thing is a guitar tone that is EQ'ed to death. It doesn't sound like a guitar anymore.
    It doesn't mean I don't EQ, but I just EQ enough so I don't alter the guitar tone. I just remove away the honky-ness, the low ends you don't need and adds some crispness and mids if needed. But when you turn off and on your EQ your guitar tone shouldn't change.
    I either base my mix on the drum or guitar sound. And last I add bass, because it's not the focus. It should just add more punch to the drums and fill out the guitar frequencies.
    When it all fits together like a molded glow and every part serve each other you have a good mix. I am very against that every instrument in the mix should be crisp and clearly. You just end up with everything sounded separated and not as a unit.

Also getting a good sound from the start is alpha and omega. Keep finding that guitar tone, even if it takes weeks.
    You can't fix a turd.

Good sounding albums to me: In Flames - Clayman. Nirvana - teen spirit. Metallica - Load / Ride the lightning. Disturbed - Indestructible.
    It's more about the impact and feel you get from the mix.

I absolutely hate Disturbed last album. It's mixed by the same guy who mixed Five finger death punch. It's brickwalled and compressed and has this "ssshhh" hissing sound all over. Horrible. It's like it got every life squeezed out of it.
    That guy sure rides the throne of loudness war.

It depends a lot. There are many ways to mix. And many secrets we probably still don't know about.
    I usually make the mix around the guitar sound and use that as a foundation. That way I don't have to over-EQ it.
    When you just hear the guitar, I use a special guitar sound just for this (lots of lows), but when the drums and bass come in then I switch to a more low-cut sound with more mid range and also cut the highs (no need above 10 000 hz, it just fight with the drums / cymbals).

The bass I use to fill up what the guitar lacks = always lots of lows and cut the mids and often high pass the highs.
    I don't want to hear the bass, but I love that the entire mix "dies" if I remove the bass. Then it's done it's purpose in my ears.

But there are no rules. If it sounds good, it's good. And remember to mix with your ears, not eyes.

Thanks for more great advices again. I will look for those pedals too.

Did you mean to use that Elysia EQ on individual guitar tracks or in the guitar bus track?

But about EQ Plugins = you can achieve the same result with every free EQ plugin that follows your DAW. It has become a big business selling plugins these days, and many of them you could be without. That Elysia EQ plugin is not free btw, it requires online login, activation and then 14 days trial. Lot of these plugins comes with a fancy interface and just some knobs you can turn, but all they do is boost or cut low / high frequencies. I rather see exactly what I am doing.

But when you talk about cutting low ends (bass), you mean doing that on the Kemper / source or later with post EQ?
    Cutting the bass at the amp vs cutting it later with EQ creates a very different tone.
    That is probably an interesting topic by itself and what you can achieve.

Also by experience if you cut a lot of low-end frequencies to get a clearer / crispier mix, it sort of kill the mix.
    Bass can also lift a mix and make it sound more powerful. The Clayman album by In Flames is a testament to that.
    But I think that was more to the powerful drums and thick bass on top of crisp guitars.

First, find out what pickups they use. Then find out what tunings they use. Then select a harsh and bright profile. Bingo! ;)

That's a good advice! I will look into it and see what I find out. But for now I am not trying to replicate it 100 % though. I have EMG and Seymour humbucker, so it's pretty close to what they use.
    I am also curious if I can get a close sound with the gear I have :)

I found out the more boost / gain pedals you add, you sort of kill the sound and adds all sorts of bad artifacts to your tone (difficult to remove with post EQ). I love heavy amps like Randall, Bogner and Peavey don't often need a pedal to be tight and heavy. Also remember: The more guitar tracks, the less gain! Too much gain and it will just sound muddy.
    The trick is to find a good cabinet and microphone position and dial your presence, treble and gain to perfection.

Hi guys! Since I bought the Kemper about 6 months ago I have just been downloading and testing hundreds of tones.
    So far I JTM, Choptones and Reampzone is the only place I go to.
    My favorite guitar tone of all time must be Disturbed in their Indestructible era. Not my favorite band, but holy god... that tone
    I am trying to replica that tone for fun and learning and found out they used mostly the Bogner Ecstasy and Mesa Mark V with mesa cabs.
    Anyone have a good tips of how they blended the guitars or how to get close to their tone? Dual or quad tracked and the different setup? I have tried googling a lot but it's not very informative.
    Fun fact: Disturbed uses Kemper when they tour! 8)

Also your problem here is your speakers. Get some good studio speakers. I recommend Adam speakers.
    Also make sure you have new strings. And what kind of pickup do you use? Those are alpha and omega for a good distortion.
    I recommend Seymour duncan, bare knuckle or emg.
    And don't forget when you hear tone that is "dripping with gain" it's usually many guitars blended together, quad or triple track. With different amps and cabinet blended.
    The pros use also room mics to make the sound bigger.
    Keep trying different stuff and you will eventually find many different great tones.
    The only problem with Kemper is that it is a million tones out there, so don't fall into the trap and waste your money on too many different tones.
    I would recommend checking out Choptones or Reampzone. They have great tones. A bit expensive, but you get what you pay for.
    There are also many great tones on the rig exchange that are free. But there are also many bad ones, so beware.
    Many also recomment a guy called Top Jimi, but I found his tones to be a bit too dark / muffled for my taste. It sounds like a guitar in a big room a bit far away. Cool to listen to if you play solo, but in a mix it's useless.
    Good luck!

Ahhh the eternal tone chase. I am 40 years old and been chasing that booty since I was 16 years old!
    With the Kemper it's all about getting good profiles and the right ones for your need. But remember: When you hear good tones on albums, those are many guitar tracks played together. If you listened to the single tracks the guitar would maybe sound very thin and fizzy and bright. Blended with other tones who might be from different amp and darker tone. Together they sound like a heavy wall of sound.

A guitar tone that sounds awesome by itself is usually pretty useless in a mix if you are going to dual or quad track it.
    What I found out is best to find a pretty bright and crisp tone that you like and dual track and pan left and right, then you find another tone that is quite opposite and put it in the middle and stereo pan it (with some vst plugin).

I would also suggest and play along with the drums you are recording and find a tone that fits well with the drum sound.
    Yes, drums can change the sound of guitar and vise versa. Especially the cymbals. If you have bad sounding cymbals they will destroy the guitar tone.
    A good example is that I tried Mjolnr drums (vst plugin). The kick and snare sound awesome. but the cymbals are very bad: they have this fake "ssshh" sound all over that is impossible to remove with EQ. They just ruined the entire mix.
    What you can do then is just use the kick and snare from that kit and use cymbals from another: Steven Slate drums 5 has pretty good cymbals. Also Ugritone drums have.

Guys, I figured it out! Hold your system button inside after a few seconds after you started up your Kemper.
    Hold it inside until the "resetting global settings" text pops up.
    Now you might have to wait a long time. If it takes too long time just turn off your Kemper normally (over 10 minutes).
    Restart it. Now it works! I guess something happened with my output settings. It's been so long time since I messed with the settings on the Kemper I might have fixed it if I knew more about the output settings, but it works now.

Same happened to me. I discovered it just now.
    I am using the speaker outputs.
    First I thought it was my steinberg soundcard, but plugging my jack cable directly in it, I saw I got the red peak lamps blinking as I was playing.
    I did a global reset of the Kemper by holding in the "system" button upon booting. But man, it says "initializing global settings" for over 20 minutes now and the loading bar is fully loaded.

Any tips?

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but what worked for me:
    The guitar you play with sounds different than the mix guitars. And if there is a rythm part where you only hear the guitar, use the guitar
    tone you use to record with. Nobody will notice it's a total different guitar tone

I can't seem to find the "Mar900" on their website. Is their pack called something else?