Help with Kemper recording setup.

• Hi guys, this is also my first post here.

I'm a recent kemper owner, and my current setup is:

kpa -> presonus 22vsl -> logic -> krk rp6

im using standard guitar cables on master output to the audio interface.

today i've tried to connect the kemper unit directly to the krk for a frfr setup and the sound is much better than using the audio interface. can i bypass the gain from the preamps from the presonus so the signal is the clearest possible from the kpa to the presonus? would this be solved if used spdif on a different interface?

thanks!

jc

• Hey jpcesar, welcome :)

check that you set the audio interface's input to "line" and not "guitar" or "Z".

Also, are the KRK monitoring Logic's output or rather Presonus' input? Check whether there's something like "Direct monitoring" on the PS and activate it. This might help determining whether the sound degradation is coming from the PS or Logic.

Last, you might want to connect the KPA to the PS via balanced cables ("stereo" or XLR): this often makes a difference.
    BTW, what cables did you use to directly connect the KPA to the KRK?

• Hi :) thanks!

There is a direct monitoring tool, called vsl mixer, if i turn the knob all way down, i hear direct monitoring, if the other way i hear the daw sound. If i monitor presonus input there is less degradation than logic input but direct KPA to KRK is still the best. I think that may be related to cables..

I used these cables to directly connect the KPA to KRK ( http://www.thomann.de/pt/cordial_cfm…kexlr_kabel.htm ) maybe I should use a pair of these too to connect KPA to PS? I'm using standard guitar cable now...

I would like to be able to bypass the preamps, I think the cables im using are making the PS unit to think that's a guitar input thus forcing me to use the preamps to boost the signal.

thanks

• I believe those balanced cables would be a good idea. Not saying that it will necessarily resolve your issue, but the signal will be the best analog signal you can get (if the cables are of good quality).
    IYour PS has got XLR sockets at the inputs as well, so you might buy cables hawing XLR on both ends and not just one.

The progressive degradation in the sound while proceeding in the signal chain makes me think of a wrong gain staging.
    Check all the input levels, (PS, DAW, plugins) as well as KPA's output: they all have to be robust but not clipping. I believe there's some level set very low, and then you have to re-gain level at some other stage.

Also, you did not say whether you've connected the KPA output to PS' guitar input (sometimes called Z, or High impedance:( the KPA outputs a line level signal, like a keyboard or an iPod, the guitar input will sound crap :|
    The PS is certainly not reading the cable type, but you possibly have to set the input impedance via its panel. In case such control is missing, then the PS is able to read the signal's impedance by itself, and the only thing which matters is the signal level (see above).

:)

• hi
    im new with kpr and sound!
    i never used this kinda rig and equipment
    i thought maby u can help me connecting it to my sound card

i bought my kemper 5 days ago and playing it good headphones :(
    today I just bought my sound card (to record in future. havent installed it yet coz i dont have the firewire cable) - RME HAMMERFALL MULTIFACE. it should be really good.
    and im gonna buy the same monitores u are using this week i hope! tell me how they are and if u are satisfied :D

ok, so, tomorow im going to but cables to connect everything.

1. can u tell me what exact cables u used to connect to your krk directly (u said it sounds better than through the soundcard)? (the pic on the website isnt clear to me. i googled it and i find the same pic everywhere). did it come with ur krk or did u buy it seperatly? and to where on the kpr? master output? both 'left-right' on the right and 'left-right' on the left?
    2. how did u connect it to ur audio interface? what cables and where on the KPR? 'mono output' ?