Kemper Power Rack at a Gig Today Sounded Like a Motorcycle.

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Head/Rack

I am a bass player. I was using my Power Rack Profiler today at a gig with an SVT 8x10 cab. It was an outdoor gig and it was hot outside, although the stage as covered.

During soundcheck, everything sounded great. About a song into the set, it started making all kinds of static and then a loud fluttering sound like a motorcycle. I tried turning it down and it stopped for a few seconds then started back up. I thought maybe my wireless was messing up so I switched to a guitar cable. No difference.

I had no backup head and the gig was ruined for me. When I got home from the gig, I turned on the kemper without the cab and only headphones and it sounded fine.

Could it possibly be a bad speaker cable? I don't think it's a blown speaker because the noise was coming from all of the speakers.

Could it have overheated?

I can't plug it into the SVT cab at home to test it because it is loud as hell and the neighbors will call the cops.

I ordered a new speaker cable and will try it at this weekend's gig and will be bringing a backup head just in case.

Has anyone experienced a bad speaker cable? What would it sound like?

Thanks for your advice.

• rnrgeek October 6, 2024 at 5:30 AM

Changed the title of the thread from “Kemper Power Rack at a Gig Today Sounded Like a Motorcyle.” to “Kemper Power Rack at a Gig Today Sounded Like a Motorcycle.”.
  • Every sorry to hear that. That sucks. Are you using beta versions? Or only stable releases? Do you have the opportunity to plug directly into the PA with a DI as a backup? No idea what caused it.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• My commiserations, that sounds like a very frustrating experience. I have no idea what might have caused it, but you asked about overheating - the manual gives the following “environmental requirements”:

Environmental Requirements
    Operating temperature: 5° to 45° C (41° to 113° F)
    Non-operating temperature: −20° to 47° C (−4° to 116° F)

• …also if it was me I wouldn’t want to wait until the next gig to test it, for my own peace of mind I’d want to try to resolve it asap. Could you not switch it on at home to check it’s working, it needn’t be loud for that.