Kemper Player and MIDI thread

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Player

Dear Kemper aficionados,

After a long time away from my Kemper, I got back to it a rediscovered how great it is.
    Now I want a tricked out player and use it together with a MIDI controller as a standalone rig.

Maybe we can discuss here what works and doesn‘t work with respect to MIDI.
    I am aware that we have, in principle, bidirectional MIDI via the USB A port and unidirectional via the USB B port.

But the question still is: what works in practice?

I have a really wonderful high end RJM mastermind GT16 controller that works great with the toaster but over at the RJM forum, the information of whether it will work with the profile player are really vague and inconclusive. Hence, would a standard MIDI to USB interface work?

Swissonic MidiConnect 2
    Swissonic MidiConnect 2, USB-MIDI Interface mit automatischer Ein-/Ausgangserkennung; 2 MIDI-Stecker die jeweils als unabhängiger Ein- oder Ausgang arbeiten…
    www.thomann.de

Or this?

LEKATO USB MIDI Cable Midi USB Cable Midi Interface Converter, 5-Pin In Out Midi to USB Adapter for MIDI Controller/E Piano 6.5 ft
    International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings and language of the product,…
    www.amazon.de

I am aware of the MIDI captain and some other budget friendly and even wireless MIDI controllers, but I am not interested in those since they are too limited. I am mostly striving to get the full control over the rig like I have over the toaster with the RJM.

Anyone tried a Morningstar MC6 pro? That should also work and even has MIDI over USB. How to set up bidirectional MIDI there?

I would love to know the answer to these questions before pulling the trigger on the player and the upgrades.

• Out of curiosity - what does the MC6 Pro offer that the Midi Captain does not?

One thing I *really* like about the Midi Captain is that Wilson of Paint Audio cares about the eco system and actively works on it.
    It also has a KPP mode (that currently is not working well with the upgrades but it is already in the works) and that alone is pretty phenomenal in my opinion

• Out of curiosity - what does the MC6 Pro offer that the Midi Captain does not?

One thing I *really* like about the Midi Captain is that Wilson of Paint Audio cares about the eco system and actively works on it.
    It also has a KPP mode (that currently is not working well with the upgrades but it is already in the works) and that alone is pretty phenomenal in my opinion

I have only looked at the MIDI captain but never used one. It looks fantastic for the money.

But the MC6pro has a lot more to offer, in particular scribble strips and a very refined way of setting up interconnected menus, subtle ways of programming the footswitches, momentary press, double press, long press etc. all accessible via a really user friendly editor. it is more what I am looking for when handling complex tasks with many different sounds, presets, direct access to effects, not just changing presets.

The Kemper remote was/is a really good effort and combines many of the desirable features I am looking for in a foot controller - and it was early in the game. It if had scribble strips and perhaps access to six instead of only four effects, it would be pretty perfect. But sadly, it does not work with the player and probably never will.