Different outs same profile different outcome

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Head/Rack

Hi guys!

First off its super cool kemper got a positive turn around on the horrible security situation its just awful that happened.

Ok...so here is a thing...probably not realy a thing but to me seems like a thing. So ive been playing around with different cables and routing situations and came accross something interesting. Maybe its not that interesting to most but yeah here goes haha.

So i usualy out my kemper going MAIN OUT (left with ground button activated) using balanced TRS directly into my Hi-Z front input on my apollo twin and interface directly into my PC...seems like standard stuff (i presume).

Recently i tried XLR (Main out) -1/4 TRS directly into the same Hi-Z input on my apollo with some rather noticeably different results.

The XLR sounded creamy thick but the downside was the noise interference was strong and i couldnt get it gone without slamming on the gate almost full but doing that drastically changes the profile.

The standard TRS out had zero noise interference but the profile was scratchy and kinda harsh...almost thin digital sounding.

Anyway...i made a little recording both recordings are using the exact same guitar (double tracked panned left and right) and using the exact same profile the only change is the routing.

Is it my ears?...am i doing something wrong? ami gonna break something and i should probably stop doing it? any thoughts would be cool.

Hope you are all well.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The section AFTER the riff is the noise interference sample. First recording is the XLR the second is the TRS.

• There is nothing standard about feeding a high-z input with a line level. But if it sounds good, it is good.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• There is nothing standard about feeding a high-z input with a line level. But if it sounds good, it is good.

I like the body and warmth of the XLR its a lot more gentle on my fragile ears but the interference is a problem. The TRS out is too scratchy and ear piercing but the interference has completely gone haha. Is it normal to get that interference form using an XLR or could it be a cable issue somewhere in the chain...hmmm...its odd the same profile with the same guitar produces completely different sounds just by routing different or is that normal too. #stilllearning

• New
    • Official Post

The profiler delivers line-level signals at each of its outputs. The outputs should be connected to line-level inputs to avoid any undesirable side effects due to impedance mismatch. Hi-Z inputs expect an unbalanced guitar signal. Feeding it with a line-level signal will create clipping and sending it balanced makes no sense either since the Hi-Z input is unbalanced.

The difference between the XLR and the TS Main outputs is that the XLR outputs will deliver a balanced signal while the TS outputs will deliver an unbalanced signal. Therefore, connecting the TS outputs to the TS Hi-Z input of your interface with a TRS cable is pointless.

• The profiler delivers line-level signals at each of its outputs. The outputs should be connected to line-level inputs to avoid any undesirable side effects due to impedance mismatch. Hi-Z inputs expect an unbalanced guitar signal. Feeding it with a line-level signal will create clipping and sending it balanced makes no sense either since the Hi-Z input is unbalanced.

The difference between the XLR and the TS Main outputs is that the XLR outputs will deliver a balanced signal while the TS outputs will deliver an unbalanced signal. Therefore, connecting the TS outputs to the TS Hi-Z input of your interface with a TRS cable is pointless.

Sorted! read ya loud and clear dude.

If i dont ask i will never find out right? Thanks for the info. #alwayslearning \m/