Drivin Me Off the Rails (brown sound on 10)

• This intro riff took me a few hours to nail down as I was 8th note droning and skipping strings. I had a 5150 profile maxed on 10 to get the harmonics to flow which I found was an exhausting mix on the ears when listening over and over again. The heavy driving bass is a tone I've been after from the beginning and I hope to perfect that.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• yes that's the pb with high gain , it's ear tiring and dynamics are flat , I mean binary , with all that compression happening ||

The feel is good , just like your last track , it's about that relaxed stance :)

The bass sounds good to me , I just miss a tad of high , the slight metal sound of strings if you know what I mean, free TAF - Amp Pig Cln has this character if you use the bridge PU on your bass

Well done :)

• Well done. Yes high gain can be exhausting on the ears, but you don't have to do it all in one session (unless you're me), so allow your ears to rest.

Generally I find it best to switch off the high gain tracks for the vast majority of hte process, then bring them back just for mixing and mastering. This gives you a better sense of perspective about them too, do they actually belong?