Digital clipping when using effects loop

• For some profiles, I get really nasty digital clipping when the effects loop is enabled. This is particularly prevalent when using clean profiles with a dirt pedal in front. The input level indicator is always green.

Things I've tried:

1. Disable the pedal that is in the loop (Strymon Big Sky) - Still get clipping

2. Remove pedal and simply short send and return via a cable - Still get clipping

3. Disable effects loop in Kemper (in the Mod slot) - Clipping is resolved

4. Turn down input signal using a clean boost pedal as a clean cut pedal before the amp - Clipping is resolved

While 4 'works' as a solution, it is annoying as every time is tweak the dirt pedal for a bit more level, the clipping comes back.

I have seen other posts on this but no actual resolution. Is this just a hardware issue with the Kemper?

Edited once, last by iperry (December 15, 2023 at 12:19 PM).

• Thanks, I tried that and it does solve the clipping but it also slightly messes with the overall tone of patches that aren't totally clean.

What seems to work is to do a bit more menu diving and find the 'Volume' control in the Amplifier menu (last page). By reducing this to -6dB, I can solve the issue wihtout changing the tone (to my ear at least). Plus this works on all patches.

I'm surprised though that a clipping event in the FX loop is somehow caused by the Amp model even when the input and output clipping indicators are both 'green'. I guess the issue is just that clean or 'cleanish' profiles dont introduce much compression so the signal level after the amp model can clip even if the input and final output levels are okay?

Either way, no biggie to fix once you know which dial to turn :)

• Thanks, I tried that and it does solve the clipping but it also slightly messes with the overall tone of patches that aren't totally clean.

What seems to work is to do a bit more menu diving and find the 'Volume' control in the Amplifier menu (last page). By reducing this to -6dB, I can solve the issue wihtout changing the tone (to my ear at least). Plus this works on all patches.

I'm surprised though that a clipping event in the FX loop is somehow caused by the Amp model even when the input and output clipping indicators are both 'green'. I guess the issue is just that clean or 'cleanish' profiles dont introduce much compression so the signal level after the amp model can clip even if the input and final output levels are okay?

Either way, no biggie to fix once you know which dial to turn :)

are you placing the fx loop in the effect section? That is the only option where the amp volume has any influence on the actual level that is sent to the external fx. If you want to incorporate external distortion pedals the ideal place is in the stomps section and by using the distortion FX loop which is tailor-made for external dirt pedals.

The clean sens value can either be set individually for every rig or globally if you lock the input section. The amp volume parameter is a rig parameter and needs to be stored with every rig.

• The only effect in the FX loop is the Strymon Big Sky reverb. The FX Loop is in the MOD section. However, the issue occurs even when I short the loop with a patch cable.

Good to know on the Clean Sense. Like you say, I must be being fooled by the change in volume.