Weird levels of different DI-Outputs

• I am having trouble with the levels of the three DI-Outputs "analog", "low" and "high". (formerly known as "Git analog", "Git+Processing" and "Git Studio") From the manual I understand that DI high should produce a higher output level as it creates a DI-Signal at studio level. That should be a lot higher than the instrument levels of "DI-analog" and "DI-low", shouldn't it?

That's not the case for me though. "DI-analog" and "DI-low" have significantly higher levels than "DI high", when I record all of them in my DAW via a USB-Audio-Interface. That seems strange to me and I don't understand why it is like that.

Up until today I thought, when recording with the kemper, recording one track for "DI low" was the way to go for later reamping. Is that still correct? I am confused, as the level seems to be way to high for an instrument level.

Am I missing something?

• MattUlbricht November 5, 2023 at 12:44 AM

Changed the title of the thread from “Levels of DI-Outputs” to “Weird levels of different DI-Outputs”.
  • Thanks for your reply.

I currently use OS version 10.1.2.47971 with my Powered Profiler Head.

My Interface only has two inputs, so I had to make three seperate recordings in order to compare all three DI-tracks. Of course, the interface's input gain levels were left unchanged when switching between different DI outputs on the Kemper. On the Kemper I use the front input.

For every turn, I recorded two signals simultaneously: Master Mono via the Kemper's Main Output into interface input 1 and one of the DI signals via Direct Output into interface input 2. Both connected via quarter inch mono. At first, I had my regular XLR-connection running for the main output but the Direct Output Signal requires a quarter inch mono connection, which produced a noticeably reduced level somehow. In order to have both outputs at an equal level, I switched to quarter inch mono for both.

I chose the same input gain levels for both interface inputs, i. e. main signal and DI signal. As I wanted to rule out issues with the interface's input channels I switched back and forth between which input was used for the main signal vs. the DI signal. There were no level changes at all, so I think, my interface is working properly. I switched cables, too. I attached a screenshot from my DAW, which clearly shows the different DI levels.

• I just found out something that might clarify things (or make it even more complicated):

When "DI high" is used via the Kemper's "Direct Output", then - on output page 2/10 - the Direct Volume setting is activated. In my case, this level was reduced way down to -18.4dB for some reason. Consequently the corresponding signal level was really low and even lower than it is the case with "DI analog" and "DI low". When I set Direct Volume to 0dB the three DI-levels compare as they are supposed to: Then DI high is higher than DI analog and DI low. When Direct Output is set to DI analog or DI low, the Direct Volume Setting is greyed out, which makes sense, because these DI outputs produce unaffected instrument levels. But...

The thing ist, that in every recording session I encountered so far, the Kemper's Main Output level via XLR was quite high - for example: In my HomeStudio I had to set it to -15.1dB, on my bandmate's interface I even need to activate "Main Out -12dB" additionally. But this does not affect the levels of "DI analog" and "DI low". They remain comparatively "hot as f***" up to a degree that they could clip, when I set the interface's input gain level just the same as for the Master Signal.

To sum it all up, recording a DI signal is not as easy as it seems, because a level which is produced by an instrument or the kemper can be recorded at "any" level, depending on the input gain of the interface.

I guess, my remaining questions are:

1. How should I set the DI-level for recording?

It is easy for the master signal: Just below clipping. Should I do the same for the DI signal independently even though this might result in different input gain levels on the interface?

2. And should I record DI analog or DI low or DI high for future reamping via the Kemper? I have read the manual severel times but I still don't get it. I find different answers or at least no clear one to this:

DI analog: "Useful for reamping or running a second amp in parallel." (see p. 125)

DI high: "Thus, no separate DI box is needed to record the pure instrument for reamping purposes." (see p. 125)

3. Which DI signal is best suited for the use of plugins?

Edited once, last by MattUlbricht (November 5, 2023 at 2:02 PM).