USB MIDI

• no worries, i'm starting to make it work, it's taking time, but it's ok, i managed to send sysex and receive them and print on the screen, but i think i have to get it translated or something, cause i'm getting the sysex message as it is, i'll figure it out eventually hahaha

thanks!

It will get returned as another sysex message with the text encoded as ascii characters. Your mission is to extract the hex digits that represent the characters within the sysex message and then convert each into a readable character then output as astring.

Code
    SYSEX RECEIVED/returned rig name
    F0 00 20 33 00 00 03 00 00 01 47 75 79 74 72 6F 6E 20 54 20 32 00 F7

name/string part (from above) = 47 75 79 74 72 6F 6E 20 54 20 32
    decoded acsci characters:
    G  u  y  t  r  o  n     T     2
    (btw, 20 is a space character)
  • It will get returned as another sysex message with the text encoded as ascii characters. Your mission is to extract the hex digits that represent the characters within the sysex message and then convert each into a readable character then output as astring.

Code
    SYSEX RECEIVED/returned rig name
    F0 00 20 33 00 00 03 00 00 01 47 75 79 74 72 6F 6E 20 54 20 32 00 F7

name/string part (from above) = 47 75 79 74 72 6F 6E 20 54 20 32
    decoded acsci characters:
    G  u  y  t  r  o  n     T     2
    (btw, 20 is a space character)

I see, interesting, I'll take a look at it tomorrow, thanks!

• So, i am sending 0xF0, 0x00, 0x20, 0x33, 0x02, 0x7F, 0x43, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0xF7 which according to the manual is the sysex to request the current values of the rig name but all i get for response is the same exact sysex, it's not including the rig name for some reason, do i have to send anything else besides that sysex?

EDIT: I managed to send and receive the messages via software, i need to figure out/find what the performance name sysex is, and find out what's wrong with my code, but we're getting closer!

Edited once, last by Erikcb (May 14, 2024 at 9:00 PM).

• So, i am sending 0xF0, 0x00, 0x20, 0x33, 0x02, 0x7F, 0x43, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0xF7 which according to the manual is the sysex to request the current values of the rig name but all i get for response is the same exact sysex, it's not including the rig name for some reason, do i have to send anything else besides that sysex?

EDIT: I managed to send and receive the messages via software, i need to figure out/find what the performance name sysex is, and find out what's wrong with my code, but we're getting closer!

check you not got a midi-through enabled sending back exactly what you send out

• check you not got a midi-through enabled sending back exactly what you send out

It's not that, i have no idea what's the issue, right now i'm trying to figure out what the sysex for the performance name is, since i can't find anything in the documentation, nor the sysex nor the nrpn...

I guess there is something wring with the way the code is retrieveing the sysex...

Anyway, for now i want to know if there is a way to get the performance name or not, since i can't find anything anywhere about it, i'll try to fix the code later...

• Just got the sysex for the current performance/rig/slot names, i'll leave them here in case someone ever needs them, it works properly via software, now all i need is to figure out what's wrong with my code!!

• Current Slot Name:
      0xF0, 0x00, 0x20, 0x33, 0x02, 0x7F, 0x47, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0xF7
    • Current Rig Name:
      0xF0, 0x00, 0x20, 0x33, 0x02, 0x7F, 0x43, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0xF7
    • Current Performance:
      0xF0, 0x00, 0x20, 0x33, 0x00, 0x00, 0x47, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0xF7
  • i did share some sysex code for this here:

slateboy
    February 22, 2024 at 4:08 PM

SEND call for rig name

F0 00 20 33 02 7F 43 00 00 01 F7
    (you already got this)

What are you receiving back and how are you dealing with that data?

• i did share some sysex code for this here:

slateboy
    February 22, 2024 at 4:08 PM

SEND call for rig name

F0 00 20 33 02 7F 43 00 00 01 F7
    (you already got this)

What are you receiving back and how are you dealing with that data?

I'm just trying to find stuff in Google and test things, trial and error, you know, so I'm not very sure what I'm doing or how I'm approaching to get it working hahahah

code.txt

This is the code I'm using. I had to attach it as a txt file cause it's too long. It's sending the sysex, but i think it's not able to translate it properly and post it on the screen.

The code could be better and more organised, i know, but as i said i barely know what I'm doing. :D

There's some stuff i have to remove, i tried to make it write the rig name manually and also save them in the eeprom so it's shown when turned on, but it's not necessary now.

I want to make it work first, then I'll (probably) make it look better.

I know the sysex y posted are working cause I'm testing them with a midi monitor that lets me send and receive sysex messages (it's called Midi-OX).

• I'm trying to use the arduino to send MIDI CCs via USB, it's a DIY controller i made that i was using via MIDI cable, i'll have to do some research and see if i'm capable of making it work just via usb, that way i can use only one cable for the controller instead of USB + MIDI cables.

Thanks for the info!

Goodmorning everyone, I am sorry that I had not seen this post before. I have still not read all the messages, but if still needded the answer is yes. I created a midi controller with arduino Micro and it works with only one usb cable (no extra power or midi required). But you need an Arduino with us midi capability, and there is only the Micro, the Leonardo and maybe another one. I planned to write a thread about it, but I am postponing it since a lot of weeks. Just remember to insert use the library MidiUSB.h and not the normal one. I also wrote some functions to send NRPN, SysEx and manage their value with a Potentiometer, so it is possible.

• Goodmorning everyone, I am sorry that I had not seen this post before. I have still not read all the messages, but if still needded the answer is yes. I created a midi controller with arduino Micro and it works with only one usb cable (no extra power or midi required). But you need an Arduino with us midi capability, and there is only the Micro, the Leonardo and maybe another one. I planned to write a thread about it, but I am postponing it since a lot of weeks. Just remember to insert use the library MidiUSB.h and not the normal one. I also wrote some functions to send NRPN, SysEx and manage their value with a Potentiometer, so it is possible.

Did you have to reflash the Arduino firmware? Be interested to learn about the connectivity as a USB device with the kemper

• For anyone who is interested: both FBV shortboard II and FBV express II are correctly working, but only sending MIDI commands, so its difficult to find a setup where the LEDs stay synchronised.

I've tried to setup the shortboard MKii for performance mode (bank up/bank down, rig selection and pedal control are all working), but here it's impossible to keep the LEDs synchronised (if I use the top button row for stomp/delay/reverb and the bottom row to switch rigs, the stomps that are activated in the previous rig stay lit).

• So if i find an Line 6 Shortboard with an USB(b) connector ... i can use that board as a controller for my Kemper Rack ?
    Will it get the power over USB?
    And only Midi Out ?
    How simple is it to program this Shortboard ?