• This walk-down riff tune came from noodling during practice. I always thought the open G string never sounded right so I made it work for me. I've been fascinated by double-stops, and dissonant chords in leu of power chords, lately. The bass line gave me tons of hell from my trigger fingers. I spent the whole day re-tracking it. I just hate to be out of guitar for a month right now, so the finger surgery is still hanging. My fav parts except for the open G riff is the small guitar fills during the bridge at 2:56.

I would like to get the mix warmer especially the lead tone which is too shrill for me, but I had to make the weekly deadline! and rest my fingers.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Great job! Mids is the key to warmth in guitar, however a byproduct of using chorus, phasers and other modulation on guitar is that it comb filters the sound where it’s most prominent (which is the mids) against itself which combined with distortion makes for a more shrill sound. If you want a thick warm sound reduce the chorus mix so there’s more clean going through, or reduce the distortion to create a thicker clean, then play with where you’re using chorus in the signal chain. After the amp block may give you more of the sound you’re after.

Chorus can make an amp sound initially thicker and more full but it can work against you as that’s often an illusion of hearing your instrument acoustically overlaying the amp output. It’ll never sound as thick as double tracked guitar with distorted guitar. It’s best to really play at volume with it to refine your tone and work out how to utilize it best. In general like most things we like a lot in music, it’s best if you only give a little.

• Great week track Larry , it feels more comfortable for you from what I heard in your progress.

• Great week track Larry , it feels more comfortable for you from what I heard in your progress.

Thanks Renaud! I guess that means it's time for me to get uncomfortable. :) I'm still on the pursuit for "less is more". One thing I haven't done yet is to double track two raw guitars with no effects. I may have to go full blown metal to give that a try.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.