Kemper Multiple Delay help

• What I’m having difficulty implementing is how to program the Kemper to get Holdsworth style delays when the parameters listed between the two units are different.

For example, here’s a Yamaha UD Stomp Holdsworth patch with the parameters named, and values:

Delay Line Number:

1. Wav- Sine , Phase- Normal

Group- 1 > 1, Tap- 100%,

Time: 29.7, Level 10, Effect Level 8.5

Pan- L 10

2. Wav- Sine, Phase- Normal

Group- 2>2, Tap- 100%,

Time: 40, Level 10, Effect Level 8.5

Pan- L 10

3. Wav- Sine, Phase- Normal

Group- 3>3, Tap- 100%,

Time: 96, Level 4, Effect Level 8.5

Pan- L 5

4. Wav- Sine, Phase- Normal

Time: 110, Level 4, Effect Level 8.5

Pan- L5

Etc, all the way through delays 5-8

(I don’t HAVE TO have 8 serial delays; I could use 4, and then simply use a Kemper Reverb at the end of the chain to get extra ambience)

I get the obvious things in the Yamaha UD Stomp parameters— time is in milliseconds, Level is “mix” I assume, Pan L means panned Left, L10 means panned 100% left.

But why are there TWO levels, “Level” and “Effect Level” In the Yamaha UD Stomp? One must mean percent mix, but why a 2nd level control? (The Yamaha Manual doesn’t explain it)

Group 1>1, 2>2, 3>3 apparently means each delay feeds into the next in the UD Stomp.

There is no “serial” option in Kemper’s Quad Delay, so I assume I would instead have to use 2 effects blocks of Two Tap Serial Delay.

Apparently the Yamaha gives you an option to choose the type of Wave pattern, Sine, Triangular, Saw, etc.

But how would you do this with the Kemper in regard to creating a Holdsworth Style preset? You can’t pick a type of Wave in the Two Tap Serial Delay, so would you have to have one or more Chorus Blocks before or after the Two Tap Serial Delay?

What about Phase? There’s no phase option in the Kemper.

What about individual panning levels in the Kemper if you are programming the Two Tap Serial

Delay, and you are simply playing through a SINGLE guitar cabinet?

The Yamaha pedal allows you to program percentages of Left and Right output and play through a single guitar cab in mono, yet the SOUND you hear DOES come across as “dimensional” having a “Spatial Perception” of thickened modulated delays with a reverb like effect.

However, apparently you CAN’T program the Two Tap Serial Delay to Pan Left and Right through a mono out to a single cabinet?

(My powered monitors are cheap, and sound like garbage, so I opt to just use my guitar cabinet)

Any ideas HOW I could recreate the Yamaha UD Stomp settings using the Kemper signal routing?

I’d greatly appreciate any help!

• I don’t have any experience with the Yamaha UD Stomp but managed to find the manual and preset list online.

UD Manual

UD Presets

Holdsworth apparently programmed the first 29 presets for Yamaha so they should be pretty “authentic”.

The first thing to notice is that all 8 delays are in parallel NOT series and none of his prests appear to use the Group setting. Therefore two quad delays in the Delay and Rev slots oft the Kemper with delay/rev routing set to Parallel is where I would start.

The wave shape only affects modulation. The presets show that Allan only uses the Sine shape anyway so you should be OK with the Kemper. I don’t think any other shape would make too big a difference anyway in this context.

The phase is set to normal on the UD presets but this simply equates to the Spread control on the Kemper. The Yamaha uses phase inversion to create an illusion of width. Instead of only Normal or Inverted you have control between the two on the Kemper to tailor the amount of width to taste.