Getting a kab - Should I sell my Head and get a Power Head?

• I want to get a kab to bring to jam sessions, and I'm looking for the most streamlined solution. I currently have an unpowered head, so I would need to either get a powered kab (tough to get at guitar center, etc), or use a separate solid state poweramp (worst case, clunkier, then i'm carrying around 3 things).

Or, i can sell my head and buy a powered head, and use that with a normal kabinet. This is what my gut is telling me to do. I don't mind being out a few hundred bucks (vs the powered kab option).

With the powered head I can use other cabinets in the future, I can get a used kemper kab for like 300 bucks, and I shouldn't have any issues with my current setup.

Am I missing anything here? are there any downsides to option 3 that I'm not seeing? Are there any specific advatages to the powered kab/unpowered head option?

• If you never plan to output to stereo then one profiler and one kab is all you need. I have the powerrack and a single Kab, but I love going stereo into a DAW and studio monitors out. So, I would answer the question first: mono or stereo?, and then decide.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• If you never plan to output to stereo then one profiler and one kab is all you need. I have the powerrack and a single Kab, but I love going stereo into a DAW and studio monitors out. So, I would answer the question first: mono or stereo?, and then decide.

Agreed, this is the main disadvantage.

I'm fully mono and I like the advantage of a powered rack in that I can drive anything, which is useful for festivals etc.

I run the unpowered Kabinet and love it so I'm a big advocate of the route you are going!