Simulating the pick attack parameter

• Simulating the pick attack parameter.

Correct me if I'm likely wrong here, but I'm thinking the pick attack function is just a compressor in disguise. I know with the axe fx this is certainly the case, its been discussed on their forum in the past.

I really like this function to make certain tones pop more.

I want to translate this effect to my tube rig with a compressor in front of my amp, but I'm terrible with compressors! I usually just adjust them willy nilly until they sound right. So what settings would you recommend to get the pick attack effect?

• I don't know whether the kemper's pick attack parameter is a simple compressor.

Using a compressor pedal, it would definitely depend on the specific pedal.

In the studio, a compressor often have at least the dials Attack, Release, Ratio and Threshold. There, I would start by setting the release fast, the threshold pretty low and a medium to high ratio, and use that as a baseline to dial in the Attack parameter. Listen for how much of the transient gets through before the compressor is fully engaged. From there I'd dial in the ratio and threshold in tandem, and finally the release parameter to where the compressor is not compressing too much on the next hit of a note (so obviously this is dependent on how fast the notes follow each other).

This would give a starting point, from which you need to re-assess threshold and ratio, as well as attack - and the release again. Then cycle through the parameters again to get closer to the optimal setting. Repeat as needed.

Another typical parameter is Makeup Gain, which you adjust during the process to where the compressed signal is roughly equal in volume as to where the compressor is bypassed. This is especially useful in order to make educated determination of the individual settings of the other controls (without being fooled by volume differences).

• I don't know whether the kemper's pick attack parameter is a simple compressor.

Using a compressor pedal, it would definitely depend on the specific pedal.

In the studio, a compressor often have at least the dials Attack, Release, Ratio and Threshold. There, I would start by setting the release fast, the threshold pretty low and a medium to high ratio, and use that as a baseline to dial in the Attack parameter. Listen for how much of the transient gets through before the compressor is fully engaged. From there I'd dial in the ratio and threshold in tandem, and finally the release parameter to where the compressor is not compressing too much on the next hit of a note (so obviously this is dependent on how fast the notes follow each other).

This would give a starting point, from which you need to re-assess threshold and ratio, as well as attack - and the release again. Then cycle through the parameters again to get closer to the optimal setting. Repeat as needed.

Another typical parameter is Makeup Gain, which you adjust during the process to where the compressed signal is roughly equal in volume as to where the compressor is bypassed. This is especially useful in order to make educated determination of the individual settings of the other controls (without being fooled by volume differences).

What an awesomely helpful answer, thanks man!