Super confused about what I'm doing wrong, (FOH)

• Hi there,

I have been practicing with my Kemper going SPDIF into my interface to save inputs for other instruments, but when I brought it to rehearsal, I tried going out both 1/4 and XLR (stereo on both) and both times there was EXTREME noise. It overpowered my tones with noise.

I have read many different answers on the subject, but:

1. Is it ok to plug the 1/4 or XLR (stereo) into a mic pre on the live console?

If not, then my tone is MUCH too quiet with the the default output at -12 (in the output button).

2. I read that you don't want to adjust this default (-12) too much as it might overload the signal, is this true? If I plug into a line input, the sound is so quiet that I have to turn this up to unity (zero).

3. I've also heard that you want to keep it at a constant volume, why is this? Some of the time I will need to make micro adjustments throughout a live show, and being able to turn up and down seems really vital.

Thanks!

• Don't ever send the Kemper outs to a pre-amp. It should be a line level input.

My Output is at -18.0db and is pretty level at that setting. Any higher and I would clip on palm mutes.

Set your volume at where is sounds good in the mix. If making micro adjustments then use guitar volume knob and only go max knob on lead and solos. Use about a 3/4 knob for rhythm.

That's how I would approach it but others have more experience at FOH than me.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I know it's not always practical, but making final mixing tweaks is really the job of the mixing desk.

It sounds to me like you may need to supply more volume to the mixing desk from your Main output if you're having signal to noise issues.

• What kind of EXTREME noise? Hiss/Hum/etc?

When you say it is so extreme that it overpowers you tone it makes me think you have a ground loop happening rather than a level issue.

You mentioned that the -12db button is engaged but what is the actual Master Volume set to? If you turn the volume up to max (still with the -12db engaged) it should be plenty loud enough for a line level.

Using a mic pre will mean you need to turn the KPA output volume down to nearly off which will result in poor signal to noise performance. Always try to use Lone Level input on the desk.

• What kind of EXTREME noise? Hiss/Hum/etc?

When you say it is so extreme that it overpowers you tone it makes me think you have a ground loop happening rather than a level issue.

You mentioned that the -12db button is engaged but what is the actual Master Volume set to? If you turn the volume up to max (still with the -12db engaged) it should be plenty loud enough for a line level.

Using a mic pre will mean you need to turn the KPA output volume down to nearly off which will result in poor signal to noise performance. Always try to use Lone Level input on the desk.

Its the strangest sound I've ever heard, but i suspect it was just that I was pluggin into mic pre's.

When I plug into Line level as BayouTexan advised, I do not get the sound. However, if I use line input, I am not nearly loud enough. The sound guy told me, "I've got you up all the way".

My apologies, I didnt mean that I have the (-12 pad) button, I was saying that I have the Main Output (in the output button) set to -12 as I've read that anything higher than that and I will clip or overload the output. In fact, BayouTexan above says he keeps his at -18.

So my question is, how do I keep it at -18 but still get it loud enough for FOH?

THANKS!