Per collection thread

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Also most critically, if it doesn't inspire you to play it then don't bother getting it.

This is exceptionally good advice!!

If you're on a budget, then I would suggest you check out Sigma guitars. At this time, it's the only steel string acoustic I own.

I have recommended it to many of my students and they have all been very good guitars for the money.

That said, I would love to own a Collings. Or two!

Cheers,

Mats N

• BayouTexan, lots of great advice here, the first being it's better to not have an acoustic at all (and just keep saving) than buy one that you don't bond with.

That said, how they play can vary according to what you want to do with it. You can certainly set up an acoustic with 10s to do string bends and play lead lines. Depending on your right hand, however, that setup may not be optimal if instead you want to go for hard edged, chunky rhythm strumming. I find that an acoustic is much more sensitive to your right hand, and mine has always been very heavy by design.

When I play acoustic, it's typically on songs that began life on acoustic. And I bang on the guitar like a drunken chimpanzee, lots of 16th triplets, percussive / muting effects, etc. If my guitars were set up with 10s and lower action like an electric, all you'd hear would be the noise of the strings slapping off the frets. So, while I run 10s on electrics, I go 12s on acoustic (I used to use 13s but got tired of hearing the guitars whine about the strain). With this gauge and a higher action than electric, I can do the very percussive style of playing that I often want out of an acoustic. It also gives me the kind of articulation I want when playing single notes.

Regardless of how expensive the guitar is, they also tend to excel at different things. The Larrivee dreadnought I've had since the 90s has a sparkle on the top end, a bit like an SSL preamp, that I like. However, when you really lean on it as I tend to do, the six notes kind of merge together to give this homogenous sound, almost like there was a compressor on it. My Martin, on the other hand, has a very signature characteristic where each note gets its own personal space, whether it's individual notes or the aforementioned chimpanzee banging. I can beat the crap out of it, but I'm still hearing six very distinct notes. There are times when I want that, and it's something that a Martin or Taylor does better than a Larrivee.

So, as obvious as it might sound, before you go shopping, stop and think about what you want your acoustic to do for you. In what context, and with what style, will you be playing it? I've had Larrivees, Martins and Guilds (with that wonderful piano bottom end), and I reach for each one based on what I'm trying to get out of it. If I could only have one it would be the Larrivee because it does the best at what I do most often. So figure out what you do most often and what you want out of an acoustic in that context, and shop accordingly.

Also, as Per mentioned, having a friend to listen helps because how an acoustic sounds out front can be very different than how it sounds behind it as you play. One trick you might try when shopping is to position the guitar in your lap differently. Instead of it being perpendicular to the ground, kick the bottom out as much as you're comfortable playing so that the soundboard tilts up towards the ceiling. This lets you hear more of what the audience will hear, because even if you have a good friend who knows your tastes very well, there's no substitute for your own ears.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Tonights track, all about experimenting with things being out by half a step. So the rhythm is off by one beat, I'm mangling a major part against a minor part for dissonance.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Even though the title didn't rub off on me, I really like this tune. Reminded me of the more psychedelic shades of the Beatles.

Cheers,

Mats N

• The Echoplex is amazing, used on so many fantastic recordings. But for me nothing so fancy, it's the Kemper "Single" delay "Tape" preset, the only annoying thing is that I can't enter the tempo settings manually in RM which meant it's not quite in line with the actual track BPM, but it's close enough for a feel.