Best cab and mic position for profiling stacks?

• I want to profile my old Marshall Lead 12 mini stack amp with upper and lower cab. I've actually never even heard this amp with just one cab hooked up. Both cabs have the OEM 10" Celestions. Would it be best to profile the lower cab on the floor to get better bass response, or put both cabs on the floor and focus them into the mic? This will be my first attempt to profile something.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Hi, BayouTexan.

Start by using one cabinet.

Play the amp and set it up with a sound you like. Then check out this article on The Importance of Mic Placement for Guitar Amps to get some insights into the importance of mic placement.

Create a few Profiles and get the process down using one cabinet with one microphone. Try elevating the cabinet and putting it on the floor, and try different microphone positions.

When you've got a few good Profiles you'll have a starting point for comparisons. Then you can add in the second cabinet and microphone. If you start with two cabinets and two microphones, you'll have too many variables to manage - while you're learning the process.

Here's a video about creating Profiles. Rabea talks about using multiple microphones.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Kemper Profiling Amplifier (unpowered) [2014], Remote [2016], Stage [2020], PowerRack, Remote & Kab[2021]
    Twitter | LinkedIn | My Blog | My Kemper Notes

Edited 2 times, last by ST (January 1, 2021 at 1:38 AM).

• Oh Lord, I can hear it now... Honey, I need to use the hall closet for an iso booth to do my profiles because my studio has no room. Please save me all your Amazon boxing foam. Pretty easy to imagine her response. 8|

I read this in the manual:

After the automatic PROFILING procedure, the PROFILE is nearly done and very close to the original already. Now it’s time to give it the final polish: press “Refine PROFILE” and play your guitar for about twenty seconds. This is no time for a meaningful solo - you need to play several chords, with attitude! This will generate inter-modulation in the distortion that the PROFILER needs to do its refining. Be sure to strum especially hard so that the PROFILER has a chance to analyze the transients.

So, playing with "attitude" would translate to "hard-ass narly" strumming I guess?

I see all this is going to take some time to get a good profile.

Thanks.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.