SPDIF Questions (Mono/Stereo)

• I've upgraded from Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to 8i6 to be able to reamp (needed the SPDIF). I have a Kemper Stage.

I think I've managed to configure the input/outputs Focusrite Control and the DAW (Studio one).

In the DAW I've added 3 inputs - SPDIF stereo (5-6), SPDIF L (5) and SPDIF R (6).

What should I do in the DAW and in the Kemper settings (output) when I record Stereo vs Mono?

Because I prefer to record stereo from the Kemper when it's clean or solo (wet, effects from Kemper only)

and record Mono when it's rhythm (dry and double tracked).

Stereo seems Ok, but I'm not sure how to record mono correctly, as the SPDIF connected as Stereo.

What should I do to record mono?

P.S I haven't tried yet, but I understand that from the Kemper Stage I should use Send 1 to send the direct with a TS cable (because there's no Direct output), is that correct?

P.P.S For anyone thinking Analog vs SPDIF with a Focusrite device - I've read a lot before that the differences are pretty inaudible,

but I hear a BIG difference when monitoring the Kemper through the daw with headphones - It's much better IMO with the SPDIF compared to the XLR and TRS I tried before with the 2i2.

I've received a formal answer from Focusrite saying that "When using the connections on the front of the device the signal will always pass through the 2i2s preamp circuit", no matter the cable type, so it makes sense..

• Focusrite saying that "When using the connections on the front of the device the signal will always pass through the 2i2s preamp circuit", no matter the cable type

Hmmm, here's the corresponding information straight from the Focusrite 2i2 manual: