Which rack case for live use?

• I feel like this has been covered before but I figured I'd ask for my specific case just to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious.

I recently have been trying to convert my live rig to the Kemper. I currently have the Kemper (unpowered) rack and am running a Sennheiser G3 IEM system. The goal is to be Kemper + IEM's and that's it really (no cab on stage). I'm looking at buying the remote for simplicity although I come from a traditional pedalboard + amp setup. Currently I'm using the Boss MS-3 for MIDI switching but this will most likely be changing to the Kemper remote to keep things super simple.

What I'd like to do is find a 4U rack that is portable, light, and can fit the Kemper, Sennheiser IEM unit, possibly a wireless guitar unit eventually (currently using the Shure GLX-D but the floor version) and ideallly fit the Kemper remote in the rack lid. I love the way that @greenblob fits his remote in his shallow SKB roto case. I'd love to find a rack case that can dual serve as an actual pedal board.

I found this picture on the Kemper facebook page:

This is apparently a lightweight shock mount rack from Swanflight with low profile doors which allows the rear door to double as a pedalboard with room for a mini expression pedal. This seems absolutely perfect and what I'd like to do however I worry that a case like that will be too heavy (trying to keep this as portable as possible). There is something so appealing to me about showing up to a gig with everything I need in a 4U rack in one hand and then guitar in the other hand. Literally one trip and super easy setup time.

I play in 3 different bands and in most cases am driving myself to the gigs so the SKB case would be fine for that. However, one of the bands does do some extensive touring and in those cases gear is getting loaded into trailers etc. We occasionally also fly so that is a consideration too.

I guess I'm just torn between a shock mount flight/road case versus a lightweight SKB roto case. Regardless, I'd LOVE to find a solution where the Kemper remote is fit into the back rack lid and can essentially be the pedalboard. This just seems too convenient to not try and make it work. I also absolutely love the idea of only needing one cable from the Kemper to the remote. This means no need for power and other things for the pedalboard.

I'm super close to just pulling the trigger on the SKB roto case and doing something very similar to @greenblob but then saw this other picture recently and just wonder if I'd be better off with a case a little more secure (and could fit the expression pedal in the case as well).

Any ideas fellow Kemper users? Thanks for all the help!

• I bought the SKB Roto-mould case but I sent it back - it was too flexible... and sagged at the top... All my other SKB kit is excellent but I wasn't convinced with the 4u case.

I swapped it for the Gator 4U shallow case and I couldn't be happier (the latches are attached to the lids, so no rattling noises!)

The hardcase in the photo in your post looks like the ultimate option for chucking into the back of a lorry but I find the Gator case light enough for one handed carry and built tough.

• I use a Gator 4u shallow and put my wireless in the back of the case. Its not shock mounted and I think that's less of an issue with Solid sate compared to valve ( which require a kinder touch).

I have a swanflight for the remote, but that pic does look cool. It will be heavy though because the swanflight stuff is heavy duty, so really tough but quite heavy.

Is it better to have 1 heavy box of 2 lighter ones, that's the one question you have really. If the remote is in the back then it should be balanced fairly well.

Id be really tempted by the Swanflight, just check the weight first (should be easy to estimate)..