Beginner Question - Outputs

• Hello, I am struggling to get a definitive answer and I am wondering if someone can help...

I have a Kemper Power Rack - I normally play through a 2x12 cab and it sounds great

1. If I want to play straight through a desk do I take the XLR from the back, straight to the desk (then through PA)?

2. How do I send to the desk and still have the use of the 2x12 on stage please? Can I adjust my on stage cab independent of the XLR output?

Can anybody give me a step-by-step please?

• I have the same question - my issue is also with outputs . Also playing through a 2x12 and is beast - clean and dirty . My real issue is how do I run the power amp with cabinet off ( sound awful with it on ) but run cabinet on to a direct output - PA - mixer etc ? would like to use the xlr out ? if not do I need to use a 1/4 out and a DI ?

• OK - I have been reading tonnes of threads - can't find anything concise other than:

Use XLR from the main outputs. I'll work with any PA-system. The signal is line-level (hot) so you should go into Output-page2/6 and set MainVolume to -25dB to make your soundman happy.

My checklist that works with any PA (console or stagebox) I've come across is:
    MainVolume = -25dB (Output page2/6) to please the soundman (avoid clipping in mic-preamps)
    Disconnect main outputs from master-volume (output page2/6) so that I can mess about with the master to set monitor level without affecting the signal going to the mixer.
    Set MainOutput to MasterMono or MasterStereo (output page1/6) depending on the connection(s) to the PA.

My question now being - how do I "disconnect main outputs from master volume" ?

• All,

I run this set up. I use a 4 x12 and go direct FOH.

To do this you need to:

Send XLR direct to desk and reduce output to around -20db
    Plug direct into your cab with cab sim off. This will not affect the main output
    Unlink volumes so you can separately manage you on stage volume and keep the signal FOH consistent. The unlink volume is in the system menu check boxes ( I think).

Most important - some profiles that sound good through cabs sound pants direct. I suggest you run your rigs through an FRFR or PA before doing this live else you might be disappointed. I ditched all my orignal profiles when I was just using a 4 x12 and put it direct for this reason..

Hope that helps!

• Thank you - Just so I have this right:

1. XLR to desk (reduce output to -20db)
    2. normal 8ohm/16ohm output to Cab (with cab sim off)
    3. Unlink volumes in the system menu (so I can ramp up my cab onstage if needed and keep the level going to the desk unaffected)

Question - why can't this be done with cab sim on? All my profiles sound better with my Matamp sims

• Thank you - Just so I have this right:

1. XLR to desk (reduce output to -20db)
    2. normal 8ohm/16ohm output to Cab (with cab sim off)
    3. Unlink volumes in the system menu (so I can ramp up my cab onstage if needed and keep the level going to the desk unaffected)

Question - why can't this be done with cab sim on? All my profiles sound better with my Matamp sims

It can be run with cab sim on. When sending out to a guitar cab, some people like the sim on and some off, in sending the sim on you are essentially sending the sound of a simulated cab into another cab which colors the original sound intended. Can be good or bad depending on your ears.

• Have only had unit a week - How do you do all this step by step ? there are a million menus and I can't seem to figure any of it our ? I am sure once I get passed the learning curve I should be fine but am lost and pretty frustrated right now - so complicated !!!!

• I have the same question - my issue is also with outputs . Also playing through a 2x12 and is beast - clean and dirty . My real issue is how do I run the power amp with cabinet off ( sound awful with it on ) but run cabinet on to a direct output - PA - mixer etc ? would like to use the xlr out ? if not do I need to use a 1/4 out and a DI ?

From the manual:

"The optional built-in power amplifier allows you to connect your Profiler to 4, 8, and 16-ohm guitar cabinets, as wellas passive full range cabinets. It is internally cabled to the MONITOR OUTPUT, so all features of the MONITOROUTPUT are applied to the internal power amplifier as well. Please refer to the chapter Monitor Output of thismanual for more detailed information.You will find controls for the power amplifier on the dedicated page of the Output/Master menu: "

Use XLR with your Master Output L/R to PA / mixer. Cab sim will be on for that output but off in your Monitor Output (if cab sim off checked).