Cable length

• Hi there!
    Today I tried to build my new rack and I used a D-Norm RJ45 Plug. When I connect my remote to this plug (+ a one meter cat5 cable) the screen of the remote gets much darker. This happens as well when I use my backup cable (cat5, 10 m). Is this due to cable length?
    Did you make any experience with this?

Thanks,
    Matze!

• From the manual:

The diameter of the wire is the critical factor. The cable delivered with the Remote meets American Wire Gauge 24 (AWG), which can support up to 7.5m (22ft) length. AWG 26 cables have a smaller diameter and can only support up to 5m (15ft). Cables with higher AWG e. g. AWG 28 should not be used with the Remote.
    Cables in excess of 10m (30ft) might require a Power over Ethernet Injector (PoE Injector). This way, distances of more than 100m (300ft) can be bridged. Using a PoE switch even multiple Remotes can be connected to one Profiler. Supported are IEEE standard 802.3af-2003 as well as 802.3at-2009 mode A.

I have successfully used a CAT 6 cable. I never had luck with CAT 5. The shorter the better.
    I usually use the supplied cable.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• As its written in the manual, the crosssection of the core is the critical Parameter.
    The difference between CAT 6 and CAT 5 is the max frequency to be able to transfer. (CAT 6 is higher)
    The remote do not need a higher frequence but lot of current for the Indication.
    With thicker cable you can use longer cables.
    In doubt use the original cable. But if there a need for longer distance use a CAT 5 (or CAT 6) cable with low AWG number as possible (AWG 22, 23 if available) or a PoE
    10 m with AWG 24 is to long. If you see much drop of brightness don't use.

• Yeah, the power to the Remote is super sensitive to cable length. I tested using a 3 foot extension to the factory ethernet cabe (via an ethernet coupling) and it didn't work. Had some led's on the Remote light up, but no screen.

Now I'm using a 60+ foot (20m) ethernet cable with this cheap PoE adaptor and it works like a charm. Never had a single issue. Mine is permanently mounted in the back of the rack. Almost positive this will solve your problem, but you will have to find power in the back of the rack for it's power supply (wall wart).

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Gigabi…r+over+ethernet