Looper control & first impressions of new Remote

• I got my Remote yesterday, and my first reaction after trying it for a short time, is that it seems very well built and thought out. I'm looking forward to having more time to play with it and set up Performances and so on.

I've never used a looper before, and as there is one on board, I'd like to make use of it. So a couple of questions I have are:

• Is there a way to create a loop, say a chord sequence, and get it to seamlessly start again, in time?
    • Tried the 'half time' button, and it worked but sometimes at normal pitch, sometimes down an octave. Actually that may be good if I can select both, but I can't see how this is selected?

The manual info seems a bit sparse (the remote manual, and the section in the main PDF). I realise that the Remote is meant to be really easy to use, so shouldn't need much documentation, but the fact that some buttons seem to have multiple LED's next to them suggests that there is a lot more you can do than simple on / off, and it would be good if that could be clearly documented somewhere. Maybe it is, or maybe there is a video somewhere?

Regarding my first question, about getting a loop to play seamlessly (in time), that may be an obvious thing to people who have used loopers before, but I'm new to this. If there are online resources with good generic tips on using loopers, that would be useful to know. I certainly want to use it for trying out ideas quickly, jamming, and things like soundchecking seems a great option!

A good product (KPA) seems to get better and better, and I'm hoping that with future OS upgrades, new profiles and people contributing to this forum, there is a lot more good stuff to come! :)

• Thanks, I've already done Google searches, but I'm sure that somebody will have some ideas about the specifics of the Kemper product, or be able to link to something?

I've already been through all the posts in the 'Remote' section of the forum, and it is obviously a fairly new thing, so I look forward to finding out more.

It would be great if Kemper could do an in-depth video tutorial on the Remote. I know a lot of it is not a mystery, but I'm sure there is more than meets the eye, or as you say, maybe some of the LED's and functions are to be implimented down the line?

• Playing around with the Remote for a bit longer, I've experimented with the Performance mode, and that looks very useful.

I am quite surprised to find that it is not possible to see the LED's on a lot of the footswitches while switching, unlike most pedal or systems I've used in the past. That seems to be a downside to the relatively small size of the unit. I'm not clear if the switches that are assigned to effects are effective globally or per profile. The fact that there are no fewer than 4 LED's surrounding the effect switches raises a low of questions. I'd love to know where information on this is documented - or if it is something for future implimentation?

Anybody got any ideas on these issues? Thanks!

• One of the LEDs is to say whether there is an effect assigned and if it's active (it glows brighter when engaged), two of them show the first two types of effects assigned to that switch by their colour, and I can't remember what the fourth is for right now. I'll check a bit later when I've got out of bed ;)

Edit : all the info is in the Deeper Reference Manual 3.0 on the main site :
    the upper row of LEDs is to show the first two effects assigned to the switch, the bottom row shows whether those effects are engaged or not.

Edited once, last by sambrox (August 7, 2015 at 8:39 AM).

• I've read the sections of the 'in depth' manual on the Remote and Looper, and it is well documented.

I'll be interested in the future to view any videos that Kemper or anybody else puts online with demonstrations. There is some very clever stuff there, and it will be interesting to see / hear how people use this. Personally I find it easier to absorb this kind of information from a video dem than a text document. The documentation is very good though, and it seems clear that there is a lot more functionality in the pipeline, so that's all good!

Again, I'm glad to find that the emphasis with the Kemper kit is to minimse time spent fiddling, so we can just get on with it. Another case of "shut up and play yer guitar"?

• Is there a way to create a loop, say a chord sequence, and get it to seamlessly start again, in time?
    • Tried the 'half time' button, and it worked but sometimes at normal pitch, sometimes down an octave. Actually that may be good if I can select both, but I can't see how this is selected?)

Basically, the trick is to press the "stop recording button" (the one on the left that you press when you start recording) on the 1 of the bar / measure of your chord sequence. There seems to be a way in which you can change the length of your recording after the recording of the loop (see reference manual), but I couldn't quite figure out how to do that. So for the time being, it's good practice to train to start recording on the 1 of a bar / measure and to hit the stop button also on the 1 of a bar / measure.

• [quote='richh','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/23877-Looper-control-first-impressions-of-new-Remote/?postID=242701#post242701']I've read the sections of the 'in depth' manual on the Remote and Looper, and it is well documented.

I'll be interested in the future to view any videos that Kemper or anybody else puts online with demonstrations. There is some very clever stuff there, and it will be interesting to see / hear how people use this. Personally I find it easier to absorb this kind of information from a video dem than a text document. The documentation is very good though, and it seems clear that there is a lot more functionality in the pipeline, so that's all good!

Again, I'm glad to find that the emphasis with the Kemper kit is to minimse time spent fiddling, so we can just get on with it. Another case of "shut up and play yer guitar"?[/quote].........I would like to see video of the remote usage also..