New to this .... equalising monitor Cab and FRFR PA

• Hi Kempers !

I've looked in the forums for this topic but couldn't find a definitive answer to it so I thought I would ask here in a dedicated thread.

I will be using my KPA as a monitor into a Hughes & Kettner TM36 which will have the cab sims switched off and the monitor out from the KPA into the FX return. This is all good as I can EQ it in my house no problem at all and get it sounding great.

However, I want to put the main outputs of the KPA through the PA with cab sims switched on, so this will sound a lot different ? than my monitor setup. Our PA is a HK Linear 5 Rock Pack (we use 2 sometimes) which although is FRFR means I cannot do any sound checking in my house with it because its far too big. So, I guess my question is ....

"If I buy a cheap FRFR 12" PA speaker (for home use) and EQ the main outputs and cab sims to match the tone in my Tubemeister monitor, how much different would it sound through the big Linear 5 PA ? Is it a simply task of sound checking at a venue and adjusting the global EQ for the main outs and that would work for all rigs, or would I need to effectively start again and need to EQ everything all over again ?"

I like my Tubemeisters - they sound great and are really easy to transport and as I haven't had them long, I don't want to sell them just yet. I did all the PA FRFR with a pair of QSC K12s and a POD HD500 and it was one of the worst experiences of my life.

Thanks
    "Bread"

• Depends entirely on the two speakers, and a bit on the venue, but if it's your own PA you should be able to get a reasonably consistent match. As you suggested though, the only way to do it will be in a situation where you can have both the monitor and PA going, so you'll have to wait for a soundcheck.

Ideally, you could get a bandmate to play chugs and chords, point your monitor out from the stage (assuming the club is empty at this point), then ask the sound guy A/B between the PA and your monitor and tell you "more treble. less mids." etc. Or you could stand with him and tell the bandmate what adjustments to make.