Just ordered a Kemper. Wondering if I chose the right one for me.

• My point is that you can use a powered (no matter how) Profiler to drive a passive linear cab, so conceptually giving you the same experience than using a passive Profiler and an active, linear cab like a CLR (you could even use a passive CLR).

"Genuine" FRFR cabs are far and few between, I can think of the CLR and maybe some Matrix products, but most users would probably think of driving something like a 4x12 with a powered Kemper. I'll note that you too use a Dragoon 2x12.

The new DI profile creation method is probably a game changer with respect to powered Kempers, though. I saw some NAMM videos and it sounded spot on. But you can get similar results with an unpowered Kemper with an FRFR solution.

My point being, YMMV with a powered Kemper and a cab.

• I agree :)

But, again, this has few to do with "The main benefit of the powered Kemper is the additional output option it gives you. But to me, the charm of the Profiler has always been its ability to mimic different amps. Going through a cabinet can't give you that experience."

So, my point is that "The main benefit of the powered Kemper is the additional output option it gives you: you can drive any active and passive cab, including both linear cabs and traditional guitar cabs. To me, the charm of the Profiler has always been its ability to mimic different amps. Going through a guitar cabinet can't give you that experience. So I'd use the powered Profiler with a linear cab".

As a side note: you should not point out that I own a guitar cab in order to make your point! My main rig is the Profiler with two CLRs, and since day one I have strongly stated that the only way to get the most out of a Profiler is IMO to use a linear audio system.
    I conceived the Ambrosi retrofit because it would cost me much less that reselling my cab at a (huge) loss (it's a custom-made cab, it cost 1200 €).
    OTOH, it's really hard to find an application where the Profiler sounds bad, and there are many situations where I don't care about faithfulness to the original profile (informal jams, playing outside with friends): heck, we have been playing with a single amp and a single cab for 50 years, the Profiler doesn't certainly sounds worse than that with a traditional cab. It sounds spectacular instead, with the right profiles (note: I don't care about the DI\studio querelle at all :) ).

Also, I'd note that a lot of people wants to use one or more guitar cabs with their Profiler. So I'd agree that an active unit definitely is the most versatile option, if versatility is what you need (some people's concept of versatility is expressed by just a Profiler and a linear system).
    But, retrofitting a passive Profiler aftermarket is also a great way to save money. With what you save from the native powered version you can almost buy a passive CLR. And by spending 200 € more you can get a good-sounding powered version. This was the rationale that headed me.

:)

• I concur 100%. Nothing wrong with using non-linear cabs if you're getting the sound you're after. And as pointed out, there are linear cabs available. The Dragoon reference was not intended to be a scoring point, just to point out that not everybody will own the same cabinet or even a linear one. I've heard your demo video and thought it was great.

For a new user, I think it might be confusing to hear the Kemper through a non-linear cabinet, because the tones would not be 100% as profiled. That has nothing to do with how good it might sound, I've seen some great videos (yours included) and I wholeheartedly believe that in some situations, a cabinet is as good a solution as an FRFR cab. That said, as far as versatility goes, as underlined by you, FRFR definitely comes out on top in my book.

I've been planning to get a power amp for my Kemper, but you know how things are with bills, the Remote and so on and so forth ^^

OP need not worry that he's got the wrong thing. You can't go wrong with a Kemper. And you can always upgrade :thumbup: