Speculation - Why does Kemper user MIDI format for the kipr files?

• I have been playing around with the kipr files (rigs...) and am trying to figure out what was the thought process to use the MIDI format for this files, that are used basically to store metadata (TAGS) and the data relative to the profile.

Only things I can think of is if Kemper was/is thinking of using the sync mechanisms available to MIDI to sync this files with other kempers or other hardware that could use them in any way.

Any thoughts?

PS:

For those of you who have no idea why the MIDI file structure is not the most appropriate to store info+data here is a very brief overview of its structure:

Midi File Header
    Midi Track(s)
    Delta Time
    Midi Event(s) -> This is where the kemper is storing each of the tags and stuff like amplifier settings. One tag per event, so far and so forth.

• For those of you who have no idea why the MIDI file structure is not the most appropriate to store info+data here is a very brief overview of its structure:

A MIDI file is the one of the most appropriate structures to store MIDI data. As MIDI is the lingua franca of musical devices and the KPA needs to speak MIDI anyway, why not just using an existing persistence format.

It came in handy during development, since it can be stored, edited, transmitted and monitored with existing applications.

Timo

• A MIDI file is the one of the most appropriate structures to store MIDI data

Totally agree with you there Timo. Just am not sure if a file that contains the metadata information that for instance a rig contains can be called the typical MIDI data.

But this is a matter of discussing development architectures which is something I don't intend to do here.

But if the explanation is as simple as it was to leverage the existing tools to manage/comunicate/debug midi files I can understand why it was done this way.

• Everything that is documented can be used, yet, I don't recommend it. Though it is MIDI internally, there are things that might change in the future when there are needs.

Officially, they are not to be treated as MIDI files, hence the ending .kipr.

Timo