Posts by ajbsmirnoff

Use a pitch shifter(s). In a different multifx modelling device I add a -12 and a +12 to get a basic organ sound. You can add +5 -7 to fatten it. Some phaser or swirling speaker can help give it some movement while reverb helps to smear out the sound. Using a Boss Slow Gear style fade in effect to remove the pick attack sound from the pitch shifted sounds helps alot.

The EHX Hog2 is very good at making organ sounds.

So.

I've found that Ikea Ivar is fairly easy to extend.

I've added a Roland SRV3030 (yes, the srv330 gets better reviews, but they're mostly internet yahoos so meh) which has led me to adding 1 u to the top to allow one last rack device into my rig.

So the retro half of my rack is pretty much complete - 90's to early 2000's rack nonsense, pedals, and modern profiling/modelling. Can't see me buying any more gear*.

*Ahhhhhhahahahahahahah

So was the original DC-2.

....and expensive these days. But cheaper than the Roland Dimension D rack.

The Helix has a model of it in the Legacy (M9 / M13 models) models added a few years ago. Its not as good as it could be - but does let you have upto 4 presets at once) - but its definitely not impossible to model.

In my defence I was left unsupervised.

After completing the 'big three' quest, I managed to also complete the 'All Marshall rack' quest by adding a JFX-1 to my JMP-1 and 9100 power amp.

Yes, it took AGES to make my 15u rack into a17u rack and rejig the patchbay....again.

Yes, its a 90's digital effect unit with no editor, slightly fiddly and a HUGE external powersupply......

Yes - the my other FX blow this away - but its cool.

Took a gut shot while changing the battery (nice to see a battery holder instead of a batter soldered to the PCB)

the Helix control is midi ?

No. It is not. But the Helix its connected to is very Midi.

I have presets on the Helix where it configures as a controller for the Kemper (2 examples are on Line6 CustomTone). You can configure the preset to send PC and multiple CC to call up a profile. Each footswitch/snapshot can be a profile or the footswitches can map onto an effect block (with LCD labels and coloured leds). It has 3x expression pedals and an extra hardwired footswitch which can be given midi CC. Its very good.

Is using a whole multiFX unit as a midi controller is overkill ?

Yes it is. But its a multifunctional tool. It also routes my audio, hosts FX loops, and other stuff.

Are there other midi controllers with more midi functionality ?

Also yes. But they are $$$ and I already have the Helix. AND a heavily modded FCB 1010.

I do like the Helix and Kemper controllers both using regular network cables instead of midi or proprietary cable/connector. Smart move to make getting a new/longer cable both simple and cheap. [chef's kiss]

The Dimension C chorus (that isn't really a chorus) is very very good.

But - the Dimension C DC-3 is the best incarnation. Sure, the DC-2W lets you have 2 presets at once, but the DC-3 lets you edit the whole effect.

Why yes, I do stack these for a super lush effect.

Yeah. Sure. I have a problem. An addiction to preamps.

This weeks impulse purchase.... A Mesa v-Twin preamp pedal.

Supposedly a bit like a dual rectifier (I wouldn't know). It has 2x tubes (Mesa ones !!!), a clean channel, a blues channel (clean, edge of breakup, grit and crunch), and a lead channel (mayhem).

It sounds really good as a preamp / ampless rig with its onboard headphone socket. But has outputs for an amp, or poweramp (different levels/voicings apparently).

The only downside.... its HUGE. Its not going to fit on a Nano pedalboard Ha Ha ! It also takes 12v AC 1Amp.... so needs its own powersupply.

I've harvested the tubes and put them into my Triaxis (making matching set of all original Mesa tubes) and popped in some EHX valves (sounded the same). In man-maths this makes the pedal almost free.

Its the programming - without an pc based editor - its too laborious - and this may be the prvailing opinion still.

I've got one with a 3rd party eprom which works in 'stompbox' mode and its really good. I rehoused it in a smaller box (and ditched the psu - it runs on pedalboard 9v) as the other issue is its size. Its reallly big.

So.

About 10 years ago I got a JMP-1, and started collecting rack gear. Around 4-5 years ago I got a Triaxis and decided to try and get the ADA MP-1 to have 'the big three' . This week - we've unlocked this task.

Yes, there is some crossover between them (the Triaxis does a british crunch and Fenderish clean, the MP-1 does blistering Marshall tones, as does the JMP-1 etc etc etc. I don't care.

This one is the MP-1 Classic with an improved noise gate, and a 'brown' channel to go with the solid state/tube clean, and tube distortion. Its in exceptionally clean condition with very little wear and tear.

Sounds decent. And I'm always surprised and delighted when midi controllable devices change preset/react to midi commands.

Well now, I have done a thing

I've bought something I've desired for a while to add to my preamp collection

Its an ADA MP-1.

The last of the 'big three' midi preamps to go with my Triaxis and JMP-1............. and the rest of my retro rack.

I've made a space in my rack and prepared some pre-wiring for when it arrives.

Sure, I bought my Kemper as a way of not having to buy ANY of those preamps. Or amps, but it kinda made me want them more.

I don't think everyone is gonna sell their Stage for a ToneX One tomorrow......

Me neither. This week we have the wave of dudes who got a freebie to review under embargo.

But the YooToob 'KeMpEr Is DoOmEd' bandwaggon is probably leaving the station right now with dudes frantically recording as we type....

.....with the internet pitchforks and torches on standby.

Although. To be fair. I bought my Kemper at a time when lots were being sold as a way of getting a bargain.