Posts by kizzer

Cheers for all the help guys. I have tried all your suggestions, but still can't get it to communicate.

I will have a go with straight midi cables directly into my interface (RME UC), I've just ordered a 2nd midi cable ;)

Can you see it in 'Audio Midi Setup' <-- that's an application that comes as part of the system so you have got it

If you can, then you need to set it up in there.

I think I had an interface like that and it worked fine with my mac.

Good luck

Cheers for the pointers! Below is a screenshot of the program and my midi setup. The midi/usb cable shows up as USB2.0-MIDI within the Audio Midi Setup. Anything look out of place here?

[Blocked Image: http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t378/kizzertron/SCREENSHOT_zpsbrsr8oww.jpg]

When I turn dials on the Toaster program the out LED on the cable flashes, so this means that signal is being sent I assume. Is there anything that needs to be setup on the Kemper?

Cheers again guys!

Yes I'm using this cable on my mac to send CC from cubase to kemper

Did you have to set anything up on the mac to use it?

I've just got one and plugged it straight from the mac into the Kemper to use Toaster, both green lights for connection to Midi and KPA were lit on the toaster program, but the profile title didn't come up and none of the parameters worked.

What am I doing wrong? Do I have to set something up on the mac so its seeing midi coming and going via the usb input? Any ideas would be most welcome, I'll be honest, its been a while since I last used midi ;)

Cheers for any help you guys can give and to Virango for all the hard work, the program looks great by the way!

I would like to have the possibility to change cabs via Rig Manager.

This is the way I have accomplished this:

Pick a Direct Amp Profile. (Profile isn't important)
    Add your first cab and save the profile and name it. (i.e CAB 001)
    Using the same profile, add the next cab and save as a new file. (i.e CAB 002)
    Repeat until you have saved them all. (i.e CAB 003, CAB 004, CAB 005 etc)
    Drag them from the profiler folder to a new CAB folder on Rig Manager.
    Here you can apply any naming changes easier.

To use them, you just have to lock your amp section and then cycle through the cab's that are now in the folder in Rig Manager.

I had an idea that I added in response to this in the Question and answers forum, so I thought I would quote it here as I think it could be a usable idea for a few of you guys.

it should be sufficient to plug the DI signal from your DAW directly into the guitar input of your amp. You just need to reduce the signal level.

Yes, you could send the DI straight to the front of the amp and just lower the volume, but there would be inconsistencies between how the DI was reacting with the front of the amp as apposed to how the real guitar would react to the front of the amp. This would lead to differences in how you gained and eq'd the amp.

My current setup of sending the DI from the interface through the Re-amp box to the front input ensures that the DI is hitting the amp front end at the same level that the guitar would. This ensures that all settings I work out using the DI's and subsequently profile will sound the same later when using with the real guitar.

The analog reamp setup for the Kemper allows you to send your guitar Di from your interface to the return input of the Kemper and use the Reamp Sens to make sure the guitar is at the same gain level as if the guitar was plugged in the front input. If that could be sent to the direct out it would simplify my process.

I also feel that this setup would allow profiling to become more bespoke. If an amp profile is made using a Les Paul for instance, the profile will sound different when using a Strat. Sure, they can be tweaked, but how about this:

Plugging your guitar into your Kemper, record a section through a 'Stock Profile' as well as the direct out (DI) to a second track.
    Send both audio files and the stock profile to the person with an amp you want profiled. (This could be a friend with an amp from the forum or a commercial profile vendor)
    Sending the DI out of their system to the return input of their Kemper, they could use the Reamp Sens to replicate the same sound through the 'Stock Profile'.
    With the level replicated they could send the DI to the direct out of the Kemper to the amp and essentially be setting up the amp with your guitar.
    These profiles would then be bespoke to your guitar as to how it would react to that amp.

Sorry for rambling ;)

The different signal levels and impedances can certainly determine a different sonic response. Provided there's a difference, you should determine which one is the "correct" one tho. How did you determine the signal passing through the Profiler gives you the "right" tone?

For me plugging through the Kemper when getting my tone means that when the profile is made it will be identical.

It seems to me then that you are "mismatching" the signal chain twice and to no extent, since during the profiling process the Profiler and the amp will not exchange signals like the ones a guitar can output. Might this be the case?

Your correct about the mismatch, but this is the same procedure for analog reamping with the Kemper. A line level signal is sent to the Kemper return and the Reamp Sens is used to make the level identical in level to what it would expect from the guitar.

Why do you need to pass though the Profiler for this? You can just feed the amp with a line from your computer.
    Am I missing something?

To my ears a guitar plugged direct into a real amplifier sounds different to a guitar plugged through the kemper to the real amplifier. This isn't a slight on the Kemper, I find all obstructions between a guitar and amp such as pedals, buffers or true bypass loopers slightly effect the sound degrading it slightly.

Its similar in theory to how the reamp sens works, in that if you pass your guitar di in at a lower volume the profiler will sound cleaner, if you run it in hotter it will have more drive.

It is just my opinion (not saying i'm correct ;) )

I'm not sure if this would be a possible, but I would like to be able to send a Guitar DI from my DAW (Pro tools) to the Kemper Return input (like I would for re-amping) and be able to route this signal to the Kemper's Direct output.

I would like this ability so I'd be able to send a Guitar DI through the Kemper to the Real Amp in the room, in essence simulating me playing the guitar, but leaving me free to tweak the Real Amp and find and note down all the sweet-spots for profiling later.

To clarify, I wouldn't want this feature for profiling, but just to find all the settings to profile afterwards.

I have 5 guitars I use, and when I profile I like to profile an amp for each guitar respectively. By using DI's, I would be able to save on lugging all my guitars to a profiling session and having to change strings for every session as I would have DI's saved of each guitar played with new strings. To test each profile I would only need 1 guitar to check between the Profile and the Reference amp.

Hope this makes sense, I did post a question about this in the Questions and Answers forum as I wasn't sure if this was possible in a more up to date firmware, I'm still on 3.1. The only workaround I have found is to send the DI through a Re-amping box into the Front Input of the Kemper, I was hoping for a simpler solution.

Thanks for reading guys.

[Blocked Image: http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t378/kizzertron/kemper%20request_zpsm4jshvez.jpg]

I get what your saying, but I have found a difference in sound from plugging a guitar direct into an amp and through the Kemper into the amp. In my experience no splitter or buffer creates the same sound when a signal is passed through, which is why I prefer to plug through the Kemper when setting up the real amp.

Its a bit of a hard one to explain, but here goes.

The conventional way to set a real amp up for profiling is to plug the guitar into the front of the Kemper, the direct output into the real amp and then play and tweak the amp's gain & eq to taste and send back either the microphone signal (Studio profile) or di signal (Direct amp profile) to the Kemper's Return input.

What I would like the ability to do would be to send a pre-recorded guitar DI from my recording software (Pro tools) through the Kemper to the real amp and use this to tweak the amp's gain & eq in the room, so I could note down all the settings I like.

After I had done this the DI would be redundant, I would have a list of amp settings to profile and I would profile the real amp like normal, sending a microphone signal (Studio profile) or di signal (Direct amp profile) to the Kemper's Return input and use any of my guitars in the front input to test the profile against the reference.

So the ability to send a guitar di through the Kemper to the real amp is only for the purpose of setting up the amp ready for profiling, not for profiling. The reason for this is that I have 5 guitars and when I profile a real amp I like to make profiles for each guitar. By using DI's I don't have to take all 5 guitars to a profiling session and I don't have to keep replacing strings, which would become costly.

Hope this makes sense. At present I send the DI track out of my audio interface to a re-amping box into the front input of the Kemper, this works, but i was just trying to simplify the process.

Here's a picture of the setup I envisioned.

[Blocked Image: http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t378/kizzertron/kemper%20request_zpsm4jshvez.jpg]

Not quite Gianfanco.

I want to send a di track (dry sound) from the DAW, through the Kemper to a real amp.

When I profile an amp I like to profile it for all my guitars. I have 6, so rather than having to use 6 new sets of strings everytime, my idea is to record a di track of each guitar into my DAW via the Kemper.
    When I profile, I could then send out each di track one at a time through the Kemper to the real amp, find the right sound and profile.

As I said, there is a workaround by sending the Di to a reamp box and then into the Kemper front input, I was just wondering if there were a way to route the return input of the Kemper to an output?

Hi guys.

Is there any way of routing a signal coming into the Kemper at the Return Input Reamp to the Kemper's Direct out?

I tried this earlier on my Kemper (OS 3.1), I was leaving updating my firmware until the new OS 4 is released, but wondered whether it was possible in any of the more recent updates?

The reason I wanted to do this was so that I could record my guitar di's through the Kemper to my DAW and then be able to use those di's in future to profile with, by sending them to the return input and out to the amp via the direct out.

I have been using a reamp box up until this point, sending from the DAW to the reamp box into the front of the Kemper, I was just hoping to simplify the routing.

Cheers for reading.

Kieran