Posts by V8guitar

Thanks so much for the help all.

I think I was a bit vague on #3 sorry.

I currently run the kemper main out L > XR18 > IEM. I was just wondering if I feed the main R direct to FOH (for shows that are too tight to bring my 4x12 stacks lol) would it impede anything in anyway if Ive set both setting to mono. šŸ™šŸ»

Ive spent years just stack>plug>play and rely on fallbacks but to hear yourself and the guitar through IE is so much better for me šŸ¤˜šŸ»

In principle should work but again gotta reference a couple of points:

1) You should always go through the PA. 4x12's will not fill a room and are amazingly directional so to get enough volume for people to hear you, you will rip the face of people right in front of you. Even with my old analogue set up, I would mic my amp all the time ( except at very rare occasions where the PA wouldn;t take it, always resulting in a crap sound for the band). In the same way I'd always mic kick and snare as a minimum for drums. This has nothing to do with venue size or volume, it is to do with balance.

2) Why use the XR18? Just go FOH (which I do with main out L mono) and take your IEM feed from the desk? Why split it?

Totally agree IEM's are the way forward as you can hear yourself and the band, resulting is a tighter band as well along with protecting your hearing.

3. What is the best way to connect an IEM system along with a feed to FOH? Is it have L and R mono and feed one to each?

Prob not the answer you want but I never really understand why people want a direct feed into IEM and rely on ambient sound for the rest of the band.

I always take an IEM feed from the desk, so that I get a proper IEM mix. Yes you are reliant upon sound checking it properly, but it avoids the one ear in and one out I often see etc

I know others will disagree, but that for me is the best solution.

One thing I already love is the fact that this Forum community is way better than the Fractal site? Not in any way putting down anyone over there, but I get a much better response here and everyone actually will go through in detail what they want to convey to me in a simple fashion rather than answering me like I should know already what Iā€™m needing to know? I guess for me I have come to the conclusion that at the end of the day, Fractalā€™s are Modelers not Profilers? Maybe this is why now days when Fractal releases new firmware it does sound different and they ad other things that you need to change adjust or tweak to get back to where it sounded? Maybe this why so many love Kemper and even the Tonex? I have a Tonex and as I stated before I play it far more than my FM9? Thatā€™s crazy but why? I believe itā€™s because it captures an amp not models an amp? One of my friends who has a Kemper Rack told me that if I like the Tonex pedal, your going to love the Kemper! This has me pumped to get one! :)

Yes, we are lovely :)

I think the approach is just slightly different to achieve the same goal - the best possible sound.

I don;t think you will find anyone on here denying the sound quality of the Fractal stuff, along with Helix and Quad cortex ( although there are differences no doubt) and many users here have both - I think they are just greedy :)

The bigger differentiation is the workflow, ease of use/editors, ecosystem etc to get to "that" sound.

If Kemper didn't exist I'd probably have no qualms in using fractal or others but the KPA has a really good balance of it all. we also have to remember this is all a huge step up from a regular map set up. I can do all of things I wished for previously and even stuff I didn't think of ( like Morph).

I don't think you can go wrong here, its just finding which platform hits your sweet spot.

As an aside, I had an issue with my Kemper (this has only happened once in 10 years so please don't think there is any quality issue here - I've had more failures with guitar electronics than my KPA!) and I had to use my Ā£500 Blackstar Amped 3....sounded awful. I immediately went and bought a Kemper player as my emergency backup and the sound difference was night and day. I also have never had so many compliments from listeners about my sound...despite my ropey playing!

Again totally agree. The backwards compatibility has been carefully considered in virtually all cases ( I'm sure there is an issue somewhere but I can;t think of 1).

I think the KPA encourages a simple workflow and not "overtweaking"...

Rig manager seems to be the weakest part of the ecosystem but that has also been improved massively over the last few years. I find it easy to use although just a few little blips around saving and connectivity.

Great summary and this is where I think Kemper have go it right...they have focused on the core sound and functions along with stability

Unfortunately you missed one of the best parts of Kemper ownership...us...we are a fab community!!!

Ahh so the british audio mod will have the ethercon output.

I guess the alternative is short ethercon to ethernet into poe, ethernet to ethercon socket loaded into a rack, ethercon output.... its messy but would work as the PoE will drive the cable length....

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the PaintAudio Midi Captain with the Player?

Yes I have it. Its pretty good, especially with the display now showing the rig name (despite it being very small) which is more reassuring than just lights.

The display real estate isn't best used but great to have 5 switches to align to the KPA 5 slots.

Not used it in anger at a gig but simple top set up etc.

I think my noise gate could have been part of the issue, however I'll have to check later when I get home. Partnered with the fact that I am using a new compressor and trying to get used with the settings.

Thanks.

The Kemper should not really differ much from a regular amp and so should provide the right level of sustain. I don't use any compression but have never had any issues with sustain although I tend to use high gain sounds which obviously have more amp compression anyway.

I would start without your new compressor first and then try the internal compressor to see where that takes you. Also switch off the noise gate for now to see if that solves it :)

What I have done is put a POE close to the Profiler and run from the PoE to an ethercon socket. Then I bough an ethercon converter to convert my kemper cable to ethercon at both ends.

I did mine to protect the sockets rather than a long cable run the impact should be the same..

I've never owned a fractal but run my kemper rack for 10 years now and would never change because it does everything I need.

I think the advice above is generally spot on...fractal stuff is great stuff and the sound differences between the platforms are probably more influenced by settings and the player than the platform itself. I've heard a Helix sound awful and brilliant - like anythign depends on the set up.

Couple of other things that sold it for me - the rack and toaster have the option of the power amp - so I can drive any cab I want. Also, the dedicated Kabinet has been a game changer for me, I love it.

Like anything, psychology and personal preference play a huge part but I think you will like the "complex made simple" approach from Kemper ( Kemper marketing - you can have that one for free :) ).

...oh and this community is also pretty good!!

Short and crisp one here... Mike keeps delivering :thumbup:8)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I've decided I'll never be as good as Mike because I don't have long fingers......its nothing to do with his talent, genius, musicality etc...

It makes me feel happier to blame something :)

Just love his playing...

Having just seen Vernon/Living Colour for the first time live during their support with Extreme, I can confirm he can play this flawlessly. I love Living Colour and whilst his soloing can be a bit.....loose, his phrasing, riffs and brilliant. Love him!!

Not convinced this isn't one of the spoof videos but if it is real, then just a rough day and shows we all need to keep practicing.

I tried a number of different IEM headphones from a wide price range and chose a surprisingly 'cheap' set purely by sound. More expensive doesn't automatically mean better.
    The Sennheiser bodypack is a pretty good one, though it just sounds cleaner than the Shure we used before.

Yeah I've had similar results in my very limited experience but even " cheap" is still a fair investment for people like me who are a pure hobbist.

I did invest in some Ultimate ears but not used them much :(

Its a minefield!