Posts by ClassicMetal

Hi, there is no German currency, man. :)
    This is the Euro, valid for most of the European countries.
    No worries, you can order the chip directly at http://www.uno4kemper.com.
    Xavier ships to the U.S. of course.

Well, I'm a little embarrassed, it was a month ago when I looked at it, I'd forgotten it was Euros, I just knew it wasn't dollars. I know, typical oblivious American.

So I see I can use PayPal, but I have no idea how much I am paying. I don't know how much 32 Euros is in dollars. Could be $5, could be $5,000.

Been messing with this combo for most of the day and I must say, it beats the hell out of using the HD500 like I was doing. The Eprom was easy to instal and it was ready to use immediately. Only thing is I will be changing the FCB so that it will accept real expression pedals because I can already tell I will destroy the ones that come on the board. I have heavy feet :P

Anyway, if you are on the fence about trying the FCB1010 and one of the Eproms, The setup I am using works wonderfully as I'm sure the UnO chip does.

Rock on!! 8)

--I misread your post, you don't have the uno, sorry, I can't figure out how to delete my post--

I see you're in the U.S. How did you purchase the FCB and the Uno Kemper chip? I'm researching in prep to buy the Kemper, but when I checked the Uno chip, it was for sale in German currency...

And do you have to be an engineer to install the chip and configure the FCB to control the KPA?

Thanks!

Consider QSC K10 or K12 FRFR PA monitors. I'm using K10's with my Axe-Fx II, and they are amazing. 1000 watts. I plan to use them with the Kemper when I get it. These are used by a huge number of people with the Axe-Fx, so I tried them, and they faithfully reproduce the amps and cabs. This is the best I've ever sounded live with any amp. I highly recommend them.

I'm running Output 1 Left into a K10 on the floor in front of me, facing me--I control it's volume with the Output 1 level. (And each speaker has its own volume knob, I'm running them at about 25% up!) Then I run Output 2 Left to another K10, facing the audience on stage left, and another K10 facing the audience on stage right. So I have a separate control for Front of House from my control of my monitor in front of me, so I can turn myself up or down without affecting the level of what the audience hears, in the entire band mix.

I have the FOH monitor/speakers on stands, although you don't have to. They can stand upright or lie on their sides flat or pointed up at you like a typical floor wedge.

This is now officially the rich man's thread. I'm so poor, I feel that I can contribute nothing to it but snide remarks. ^^

If it makes you feel any better, I bought the Axe a couple of years ago and did NOT plan to buy more amps or something like the KPA, which is similar in cost to the Axe--but the sounds and ease of use of the KPA is very appealing, as I've had some frustration getting good sounds from the Axe.

I'm 60, and ironically now I can afford good equipment, whereas when I was gigging in my thirties, let alone in my teens and twenties, I was scrounging to make ends meet.

The main thing is the playing. It's possible to get at least an adequate tone out of almost anything--especially these days, there's so much great sounding gear cheap now--and as they say, your sound is in your fingers. :)

This is now officially the rich man's thread. I'm so poor, I feel that I can contribute nothing to it but snide remarks. ^^

Hi ClassicMetal. I am taking the 15 day test run of an Axe Fx and FMC101 to use with my Kemper. Had it for about 6 days now. Overkill? yes but I think they are a great compliment together. I am running from the Kemper's 1/4 inch outs on the back into the FX loop returns on the Axe right now and put an FX block where I want the amp to be (and turn off the amp on the Axe and play with the cabs on the KPA and Axe). The effects and routing in the Axe are amazing but it is the Axe Edit software running on my Mac that I really appreciate and can't wait till the RE comes to the Mac (and made me realized that full editor software for the KPA would be great). I got the Axe right at the FW 14 to 15 update and it seems that for those who have spent a lot of time creating custom rigs may have to spend a lot of time recreating part of those rigs where the amps have changed. Some mistakes aside, this is not an issue for the KPA or for someone who is really using the Axe for the effects and won't have lots of rigs to update when v16 rolls around. Customer support and the community on both are great. If you have the money, the KPA has a 30 day return policy and the only way you will really know is if you try it out for yourself. I enjoy my Kemper and suspect I'll be keeping the Axe as well.

Thanks, that's helpful in making all these complicated decisions. I keep trying to lighten and simplify my rig, but the options keep multiplying like branching universes. :)

Great insight. Latency hadn't occurred to me. But it sounds like I could at least use analog pedals in front and in the loop. That may be all I need to know pre-purchase.

RE: "and to be honest I can't tell the difference. Since you already own the Axe II it would probably be worth your time to try and use the two together, but for someone like me who doesn't own it any more I wouldn't think that it would be worth the price for just effects. Just my two cents...."

I'm hoping I won't be able to tell the difference, either, and simplify life!

Quoted from "ClassicMetal"

[quote='Guitartone','index.php?page=Thread&postID=153389#post153389']Have you heard the FX in the Kemper?
    The Kemper FX are incredible...the Kemper is an all in one unit!

If you made a pedal board with all the Kemper FX on it, the pedalboard would be 2m X 2m in size...you'd need a pickup truck to transport it.
    I'll bet you Kemper owners and Axe-FX owners don't use 80% of the FX in each box....they want want want, talk talk talk, but never use use use.

Thrilled to hear it, and looking forward to getting it and hearing the built-in FX! All I use is reverb, delay, and a pitching shift preset that sounds sort of like a subtle chorus. I don't even use sophisticated delays, just 250 ms - 350 ms on leads, not mixed high. I'm just blown away by how good the Axe effects are and hoping the KPA is comparable--because I think the KPA rigs are better, from what I can tell listening to profiles online. And easier to get a good sound from.

The Axe (Ultra) combined with KPA just dissapointed me.A Strymon Mobius gave better results, but in many ways the endresult didnt differ that much from the KPA, The Boss gt 001 I found most complimentary.

There is a thread somewhere here about a new fx only floorboard that Fractal Audio is due to release that could be interesting for you, I reckon its gonna be a lot cheaper than the Axe fx itself,

Interesting! I already have an Axe-Fx II though. I haven't heard any better effects anywhere except for a friend's high-end Eventide rack mount unit. But I'm not keen about hauling both of them around. I guess I'll just have to judge for myself how good I find the KPA built-in FX--hopefully better than adequate, and that will be that.

Does anyone use the KPA for the profiles plus the Axe-Fx for its effects?

I'm still researching in preparation for buying, but my impressions are that the Kemper has better amp sounds, the Axe (which I own) has better effects, but also that you can use external pedals and effects with the KPA.

Although one of my main goals at my age is to keep my rig very lightweight, a rack mount Kemper with my Axe-Fx for effects in a rack might be the most awesome rig imaginable, so I was wondering if anyone's tried this?

I use a TC Electronic G-System for my pedalboard. It can be used as a MIDI controller, and/or its internal effects can be used along with the Kemper effects. It sounds great, and is built like a truck, but is quirky to program.

If I was starting from scratch with a MIDI controller for the Kemper, I would get a cheap, used MIDI pedal, and maybe connect an expression pedal to the back of the Kemper, if the pedal did not have one. I would use Performance Mode to organize the sounds. Done!

When Kemper releases their pedal (reported to be sometime this year), I would then decide whether to get it, or keep the used pedal.

Thanks. I'd be inclined to get the FCB1010 or whatever it is with the Kemper chip--but maybe I'll keep my eye out for the Kemper pedal. Although, Fractal Audio's MFC-101 MIDI controller has given me a number of problems and is one reason I'm looking to switch from the Axe-Fx II to the Kemper, so here's hoping Kemper branches out into MIDI pedals better than Fractal did. (I've had to replace one footswitch, had another stick on me, and suddenly using an expression pedal with the foot controller lowers the volume.)

Another option...
    I decided to try this one a few weeks ago. Put all your gear into it and carry away. My toaster in the bag fits exactly. And on top you can place your KPA, a wireless etc. pp. I like it.

Gator Case

I usually don't need to touch mine after sound check. At most gigs, I put it on the base of my Bose L1. If it is a DXR10 gig, it might go on my pedalboard case, or it might just sit on the backstage side of the Yamaha.

So you don't need to touch it because you run it from your pedalboard--what kind, and are you happy with it?