Posts by grammar

I've just set up a small writing studio and currently looking at adding a Kemper for recording.

My first plan was to buy a small tube amp for writing and just use the Kemper for recording but I'm wary of adding any extra heat as the room is very small. I've been using modellers for 10 years so I'm aware of the limitations when listening studio monitors.

Whats the best way of adding a poweramp and small guitar cab for general jamming? I want to stay away from FRFR

Would a small 1x12 cab and a transparent solid state poweramp give me what I need or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I'm a Fractal user but I'm considering a second Kemper rig for when I play with a particular artist. Mainly to simplify things for the techs so they don't have to learn too much.

Personally at this point I can't tell the difference. I really doubt many people can. It's all much of a muchness. Ease of use often comes first so my Fractal gear is purely for the road. I would never take it to a writing session for example, the workflow just isn't there. Kemper, Helix or pedalboard I would for sure.

Replacing just an amp or simple rig? Get a Kemper. Replacing a complicated rig? get an Axe.

I'm not sure I'd hold my breath on a Kemper 2 (I'll buy one when it happens). They've been selling the Virus Ti2 unchanged for 9 years!!

I've been trying to figure out a transport situation that will fulfil 4 needs. It needs to be;

1- Safe being thrown around in the back of a tour bus.

2- Safe as checked luggage on flights

3- Safe being handled and transported by unknown techs.

4- Fairly easy to transport

So far the head actually seems to the better choice as it will fit in a Peli-style or Microphone case by itself with excellent protection. These seem to be the standard for transporting electrical gear. Lots of padding. The SKB below is within an inch of carry on size for most flights so that helps.

[Blocked Image: http://teele.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v109/p578453871-4.jpg]

The Thomann hardcase looks a bit flimsy for flights but it'll fit inside of a larger rolling peli like the 1620M so you can gate check the whole thing on flights but still have a hardcase for the actual gig venue.

[Blocked Image: http://www.wexphotographic.com/webcontent/product_images/large/186/1001972.jpg]

The only way I can see of properly protecting a rack is to go shockmount which is heavy, bulky and generally don't have wheels to help. Lightweight SKB racks seem fine for local transport and carrying onto planes but will they be enough when other people are moving your gear around? Techs? Baggage handlers if you need to check it? I personally wouldn't risk it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!

I need to figure out fly rig for my Kemper powerrack.

What racks are people flying with?
    Can you fit a foot controller?
    Any trouble from the airlines?

I'm happy to gate check a guitar but no way anything electronic!

Sound is great. Load times are too long. It's not a deal-breaker but c'mon, this can be a major issue when you're sitting with a client or on a stage in front of a packed house. I don't own two of them. There are loads of other tiny bugs, blips when switching between rigs and performances etc. I say lay-off the OP ... he just spent a couple grand and he's not afraid to voice his frustration with some outdated issues in a modern, expensive product. Why do other Kemper users take it so personally? This is the first thing I read after not stopping by for a month. Wow.

I agree. This is not some cheap toy. In reality it's criticism like this that forces fixes. He wasn't out of line at all.

And regarding boot times the serious issue is if you have a problem mid set/song. A tube amp is good to go in 30 seconds from cold and pretty much instantly if already warm.