Posts by Kuntekin

I too seem to have a very similar problem. Just noticed your thread right now, and I'm afraid I won't be able to send it in anytime soon since I'm doing re-amps and recordings for the bands/individuals that I work with (editing, mixing, mastering etc.) and I tend to use it regularly.
    Have you found a solution to this other than sending it back? I haven't tried factory reset or anything yet.

Hey all,

It's actually been annoying me to death lately, but I haven't really had the time to try any of the potential fixes (e.g. factory reset, etc) it since I was way too busy with other stuff in life. I'll post an update if a reset or something ends up being the cure.

The Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble and Presence knobs seem to have this erratic behavior when I try to dial-in values for their respective settings. Also I should note that it happens when they're controlling whatever value they are supposed to change, e.g. Definition when trying to adjust amp parameters (Bass knob), e.g. Low Shift (Middle knob), Character (Treble knob), Cab Volume (Presence knob) etc...

They always jump up and down from like -0.3 to 3.5 instantly, or even jump the opposite way sometimes. The only way to use them properly is apparently to turn them VERY, and by that I mean VEEEERY slowly.

Weirdly enough, I don't seem to have this problem with the Volume, Master Volume, Noise Gate and Mod/Delay/Effects knobs at all.

Anyone had this problem before? Is it related to the physical knobs (well, encoders in this case) themselves or something at the software side of things? Will I have to send my Kemper in for repair or is it something fixable easily?

Thanks in advance.

Welp, I bough them during a big sale long ago, and I did like the cabinet voicings to some point, except that some of the profiles on this pack are supposed to be done with a Marshall cabinet and a Valvestate 8100 boosted with a HM-2 / MT-2 rather than a 5150/Engl Savage (Whoracle), and it probably would be impossible to recreate the SOTS tone since he'd probably need that frankenstein cabinet made by Anders Björler's dad, and that old Peavey Supreme 160 head, dunno if that stuff is still in his possession. I did like most of them, and the main reason for me to make the purchase was the Clayman profile, but hell, I actually ended up keeping the "Clayman" profile that I had err, "crafted" a good while ago, prior to Mr. Nordström releasing the packs.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Mind you, there is a lowpass, highpass, some notches at and shaping at a few offending frequencies, and preamp - console - tape emulations involved, it's like an "guitar stems directly from the mix" kind of clip at the moment. Nevertheless, I think I nailed it, and I wasn't able to get this close with a real 5150, the ENGL V30 cab and 2 sm57's around 6 years ago back then.

The amp section is from Deadlight Studio/Tonehammer (Hey Lars!) 5150 MK1 pack, on the green channel with the power sagging pushed, a hardware pedal ISP Fetish Overdrive in front of the Kemper as a boost. The cabinet portion is an impulse that I've made from the lone guitar at the beginning of the song "Suburban Me", converted and truncated appropriately with the SSRC high quality sample rate converter (runs as a command prompt executable) and then imported into the profiler with the Cab Maker.

Never actually tried profiling something other than some Mesa MK3 setting that was being used to record a band's rhythm guitars at a friends studio, although it was damn so accurate I didn't like the tone overall, so I basically trashed it. It did have GOBS of gain on the amp, almost maxed out and with a tubescreamer in front (because the guitar player had the wussy wrist syndrome, his right hand was what was lacking in gain lol, they cranked it to compensate) and the Kemper didn't seem to have a problem with profiling, but it's no HM-2 of course.

Sometime soon, probably in a few months, I'm going to profile a Carvin X100B made in 1983 with EL34's with various pedals, but I doubt that it will be able to successfully recreate the pedals in front except a Tubescreamer, from all the profiles I've tried with "non-standard distortion" ala HM-2's, various fuzzboxes or dirtboxes, Kemper seems to have problems capturing their characters. People seem to have the same problems too, from what I've read all across the boards and the facebook group.

Are you dialing-in any distortion from the HM-2 by the way? Could that be the culprit of the noise? The dist knob barely adds any usable gain above 9 o'clock and just keeps compressing the signal, adding gobs of noise, and slightly having some gain bump over 3 o'clock to max, ends up being in unintelligible mush territory. You could try something like maxing-out the contour to the scoop side, then dial in some mids, maybe on the OD1 or the clean channel crunched out, and then boost it with the HM-2 highs cranked for stockholm?

For the second round, after I get a noise gate pedal, I'll probably add one profile closer to Death's Symbolic, which is far more scooped than any of the 8100 profiles I have so far. And of course a second attempt at the "correct" Sunlight tone :)

Boosting a boost - I like it! ;) Unfortunately I don't have an MT-2, but I could try with a Boss SD-1.The contour is most likely all the way left then, since that makes the sound more scooped-sounding, which is what The Jester Race sounds like.

Yeah, kind of. It's more of a tightener, errr "highpasser" on the HM-2 since it's too flubby or fuzzbox-like when it's not maxed out, but still retains the iconic growl and gnarl to it. In a Gothenburg type of setting, I actually use it like Guitar > Boss SD-1 or Tubescreamer (tone probably maxed or at least cranked until it's tight enough, level 12 o clock, gain minimal) > Boss HM-2 (Level maxed, lows around 2 o'clock ish, then highs around 1 o'clockish, dist almost none or minimally bumped) > Solid State amp crunched up or sliiiightly beyond breakup, adjust the gain from the pushed clean/crunch channel to taste.

You should aim for that plastic-y pick attack voicing, tight enough like a MT-2 boosting an amp, but not as shrill and somehow retaining a tiny touch of buzzsaw voicing underneath.

In Flames used a Boss HM-2 boosted with something tighter on its front (could be a MT-2, or a tubescreamer or something akin) going into the crunch of the VS8100 with the contour either on the leftmost side or the rightmost side AFAIK, well at least that's what Fredrik Nordström told me when I asked him regarding the valvestate settings. He can't remember the pedals either, it could be a HM-2 or a MT-2 or both of them, but I think the HM-2 has some boost in front of it going on, because otherwise it's not tight at all unless maxed out like a chainsaw, and well, it's not the chainsaw setting on Gothenburg style Melodic Death Metal obviously.

The Jester Race tone you've dialed in sounds actually more Stockholm-like, though it's still a very nice tone indeed. I'd actually call it more "sunlight" like than the one indicated as such, I'll try tweaking them both to see if something interesting comes up!

I'd also like to mention that the Kemper has slight problems when trying to profile certain "unconventional" distortion types (like the HM-2 itself), some fuzzboxes, a handful of amps etc... I'd gladly like to brainstorm about dialing in the VS8100 profiles ready to be used with a real HM-2 going on in front of the Kemper itself, it could be both interesting and fun! Also, I suppose the cabinets used in Studio Fredman back then were either Marshall 1960's with V30's or T75's, probably with the dual sm57 "fredman miking" technique applied.

Cheers!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Do you know if the tone in this clip is a Laney VH100 with a Laney cab kinda roomy or out-of-phase miked? If I could get my hands on such a cabinet profile/IR, it would be beyond awesome with these Direct Amp profiles...

First of all, I really apologize in advance for necroing a very old thread, but I've been thinking of doing the same today, complete system wipe, fresh start, whatever you'd name it..

I recall many people going for the "flash memory wipe" route back a few years ago when they had sound issues (probably related to leftovers within the flash memory itself, or anything related to corrupt rigs, settings etc?), especially the dreaded "phasey reverb" and "aliasing" issue, and I seem to have my fair share of those problems for the last few days, I just wondered if it's unnecessary to do a flash wipe, and resetting everything after backing up rigs would suffice?

To be honest, I don't even move the KPA outside my recording room, nor I am planning to use it for live purposes in the near future, so it could be said that I don't really have any concerns other than keeping the rigs with the parameters that I've tweaked, solely for home recording purposes. Other than that, I'd really like to have a fresh start and install FW 3.0.2 afterwards.

Which route should I follow in order to achieve this without any headaches during the process?

Awesome cabinet pack, really. On most occasions when I go for a Marshall or a Mesa OS cab, I always go for these, whether be it merged profiles or old profies, they really work wonders.
    Now, I gotta get myself the Chimera Pack as soon as possible. It'll probably be a whole new world when combined with the profile pack. I'm so glad that we have a lifelong amount of options!

I am glad that customers create great demo files which can help others to hear how the profiles can sound.

Of course each player has different skills, guitars and recording techniques - Günter for example uses the profiles without any modification - others may fine tune some profiles with the KPA knobs or change something in the DAW.

Günter and Stehpan are professional guitar players - I don't know about each other user which contributed to the user clips.

Even when I am asked for it - I refuse to pay someone for creating demo files - I prefer to show the results of' happy customers.

IMHO is the world big enough for many sellers - and it's not forbidden to buy from many sellers.
    Each one has it's own way to create profiles - use what works best for you.

Kudos, very good point regarding the discussion.

Also, there's the question of "What metal?" when it comes to profiles being suitable for "Metal". If it's the run-of-the-mill modern metal tone with tight TS boosted modern high gain amps + V30 cabs, indeed SinMix, LasseLammert, some of Andy's and Armin's profiles and several others work pretty darn good. If you're approaching for the more "oldschool" "dirty" "unholy" or rather "marginal" sound, well Andy's most Marshall profiles excel at various heavy/hard/NWOBHM sounds ranging from late 60's to mid 80's, depending on your amp/cab/stomp profile or other combinations and such. Heck, I seriously LOVE his Orange profiles for my Stoner/Doom/Sludge tones, running up a Voodoo Lab Superfuzz or a Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz is seriously DOOM HAVEN, and very suitable for recording/mixing purposes too. Totally depends on the sound you're looking for. Personally, whenever I try to go something with a "dirtier" or "oldschool" vibe, I find use for most of Andy's profiles all the time. If I'm going for the post-2000's "tight metal" sound, I go for Sinmix and various others.

Nevertheless, I don't recall having a "dissapointment" with any commercial profiles so far.

Keep up the good work, everyone! I wish I could have contributed, but I sold my only head and cab prior to getting the KPA.

Hey Andy, are the profiles on the Marshall pack the same with the individual Marshall amp profiles? (the ones that are listed on the bundle info also seem to be available as seperately) I currently wonder if I missed anything by purchasing individual Marshall profiles prior to the pack's release.

If anyone is looking for anything similar, I ended up buying Andy's Amp Factory '68 Orange Matamp, and Soldano SLO-100 packs. Great sounds out of the box, and with a little tweaking, even better!

I guess you're looking for all out Stoner/Doom sounds. Well, '68 Orange Matamp profile EXCELS at that, it was one of the first profiles I've bought after I got myself the Kemper.
    I dialed in a crunchy low gain tone, and smack the hell out of the input with my VoodooLab Superfuzz, instant stoner/doom/sludge/fuzz heaven. I'd also recommend the '73 Orange Overdrive profile, and definitely the HiWatt DR103 profile aswell, they are all perfect for that sound. If you lack an appropriate fuzz pedal, you could also use the Big Muff, Proco RAT and similar fuzz stomp models in the Kemper itself, they also work out pretty well.

I've bought your commercial pack without hesitation after hearing a few clips, I'll be sure to try them out and tweak them tomorrow morning (don't have a recording studio, so folks are not really fond of cranked monitors after 10:00 PM actually, heh) and try tweaking them further into my liking. I don't really have the time to try them in an all-out mix due to being encumbered by finals and projects at the moment, but hell, from what I've heard so far I think the profiles sound definitely like a pro-album grade Triple Recto tone to me, the best one I've ever heard yet. Even better than some 2ch 90's Tri Rec profiles I have at the moment.

Hey, apologies for necroing a year-old thread, but I've cocked my '83 MIJ Boss HM-2 up in front of your profile, and then tweaked it, quadtracked and oneshot mixed it a little bit, and this is what came out... Instant "Massive Killing Capacity" album tone with slightly more bite & slightly more piercing midrange. Damnit man, I love you for making this profile, seriously!

https://soundcloud.com/annostriker/ea…sunlight-studio