Posts by drew_fx

I've got my amp and cab setup. Got 7 microphones. Just finished recording tracks for album. Want to profile the setup.

I've got 5 mono mics and a stereo pair of ribbons. It's the stereo pair that is confusing me. Should I do each mic individually, and then when reamping in the future, use the constant latency preference? IE: 7 different profiles per amp setup? Or should I mixdown the 5 mics to mono, and do a profile per ambient mic, giving me 3 profiles per amp setup?

I am leaning towards just profiling all mics individually, but wanted to get some input. Never done a multi mic session before!

I'm totally not understanding the question or issue on the USB cable. The port used on the Kemper, the Type B Female USB port is industry standard for computer accessories. Most all modelers I've used or seen use them: The Line6 Pod's, Line6 HD500, Avid's 11R, Fractal's FXII, etc.

It is not only typically, but standard for devices to have Female ports, Type A for computers and Type B for external devices.
    The things that plug into these ports are Male, like USB sticks and cables.

The Kemper has both, because when a USB stick is put into it, the stick is the accessory and the KPA is the computer.

What am I missing?

You're not missing anything. I think we should all leave this thread to die on the vine now. Everything has been said.

Why was it necessary to post a theory about me being a marketing shill for FAS (when the FAS folks already claimed the same; that I was a marketing shill for Kemper). It's a whole bunch of nonsense that serves to distract from the legitimate questions and legitimate answers from the adults that don't need to seek/see conspiracies behind every post.

Food for thought.

Cliff made a whole bunch of claims that were relating to the same thing, on the Fractal thread you started. He offered no evidence and insulted me directly, and you barely made a pip.

Food for thought.

Look... you need to give BOTH units a good amount of time. I'm talking a month of constant playing and testing them out. That's the only way you'll know for sure. I said as much to you on page 1 of this thread, and very early on in the Fractal thread.

I think it's a bit devious to go over there and start slinging shit about people over here, most of whom have been trying to help you and have been doing a very good job of being unbiased.

FWIW; I was listening to some tone tests I did of the Axe FXII when I had it, firmware 16. I used it for bass and guitar in this clip:

Code
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/630473/GearDemos/Axe FX II/AFII_RectoOrange.mp3

And this one:

Code
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/630473/GearDemos/Axe FX II/AFII_Cleans.mp3

They sound great to me. Nothing I can't also achieve with custom profiles and the Kemper though.

I think it's time you get off the forums, and go and play guitar.

General rig switching is faster, the fastest switching happens between slots in one performance, this is virtually instant.

I'm afraid that does not seem to be the case here. Can you post a clip perhaps? Play quarter notes, and perform your switch on the downbeat of a note. Ideally, none of the notes should be cut-off and none of the transitions should happen after the initial note attack.

Are you switching from the front panel, or from midi?

Can you define "very often?" I'm not disputing, just wondering because people's definition of often can be different. One person may think once every two years is often, where for another person that may seem like forever.

You don't need any of us to confirm this for you. Just go to the Profiler downloads page:
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/page/render/la…_Downloads.html

You can plot the dates in a spreadsheet if it makes you feel better!

The Axe probably is updated more frequently; but often the updates are NOT based on user feedback so much as based on internal wish lists amongst the Fractal and beta team.

I actually agree with you to a large extent. At home (I only use my Kemper at home right now) I use my pedalboard into the front of the Kemper. Once I get the Fractal FX8, I'll probably ditch my board entirely, and use the FX8 with my Kemper at home and my VHT amp live.

There *are* differences in the reactivity of the knobs, what I was saying before applied only to dynamic response. I do think by and large the Kemper sounds the same as the amp when it comes to the dynamic response of the gain knob - curve and everything. Because that's what it is collecting during the profiling procedure.

The other differences are mitigated by the musicality and the limitations of the other parameters. In my opinion, the Kemper is quite difficult to make sound bad. Because it is so limited in terms of deep editing.

The Axe - coming from an ex-owner - is very easy to make sound bad. It only takes one dodgy IR, or a tweak of a parameter that you don't understand... and you end up resetting amp block.

Listen... the simplicity and ease of use of the Kemper cannot be understated. I work day to day with loads of bits of hardware and software related to music, as it is part of my job. Almost uniformly, developers provide features at the expense of workflow. A large part of the reason the Axe didn't stick around once I got the Kemper is because I immediately realised that the preceeding 6 months or so before getting the Kemper, I was just toying around with the Axe. Even 6 months in, I did not have any fixed or established presets.

Probably my own dayum fault of course... but all in all, the Kemper is easier to use in my opinion. And when you've done an 8 hour shift using a combination of Pro Tools, Cubase, and Reaper... you just want something that doesn't get in your way.

Some people are scientific about guitar, and they probably respond well to loads of parameters and options. Other people (I am one of these) are a bit more mystic about guitar, and don't like to get into the nuts and bolts of every little bit of gear. They just want to play.

In short:

I got my Axe FX. Spent 6 months enjoying tweaking it and installing firmware updates and trying out new routing methods, and testing out different amps with different cabs. I wrote very little music in that time period.

I got my Kemper. Deleted all of the factory profiles. Profiled my Diezel D-Moll and my Laney VH100R. Wrote half an album since then.

*shrug*

if you profile with your Egnater's Gain knob at 9 o'clock, the Kemper has no way of inferring how it will behave with the Gain knob at 3 o'clock.

Except this isn't exactly true. The signals the profiler spits through the amp are specifically designed to capture how the amp responds to dynamic signals; ie.. the gain going up and down. The reason they respond sensibly is because of the raw data captured during the profiling stage.

Within a certain region around the profile, the profile will sound pretty authentic to the original amp. When you go outside of this zone, the profile then starts to sound unlike the original amp, but still rather musical.

That's what I am hearing when I profile amps anyway. The truth is ... none of us really know the inner workings of the profile, and after 10 pages... the OP is really no closer to understanding what it does. You just need to try it out.