Posts by dswguitars

I may have made some sense of this.
    And all the Admin supplied did provide enough information to address most of this...

If Reaper is sending a value of +1 as the admin has suggested might be the case, then....

I "think" I'm sending the right commands because the Kemper is responding how I expect it too. Some of the time (and the Admin is a fool). But what I believe is happening are some circumstances that are leading me to believe I'm seeing something that I am actually not (and the Admin is not a fool after all).
    So If I send...
    1: C0 0C 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 11 - I think I'm right, but what Kemper sees is a value of 12 (+1) thus recalling Slot 2 instead of 1 (UNLESS this is the ONLY command it gets. In which case it responds how I think it should. But that is just an illusion because it actually tried to recall something I wasn't expecting, I just didn't realize it. (What it actually did though is still a mystery)
    1: C0 0C 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 12 - Again, I think I'm right but Kemper sees a value of 13 which is Slot 3, which is EMPTY. (So Kemper responds differently yet again, than in the first command)

But this could explain why stuff is coming out backwards. If Kemper sees my command for an empty slot PC#13 (12+1) what actually happens? The Admin states that the command is ignored. If that's the case then the Kemper should just stay at Slot 2 (or the last Perf #, Slot # it was on). But it doesn't. It seems to default back to slot 1 when it receives the PC#13 command.
    If it does default to slot 1, that would explain this backward issue I'm having.

1: C0 0C 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 11 would then Recall PERF 3 Slot 2 (Because +1 is 12)

2: C0 0B 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 12 would then Recall PERF 3 Slot 3 (Because +1 is 13) But Slot 3 is EMPTY. If Kemper defaults to Slot 1, slot 1 is recalled

3: C0 0C 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 11 would then Recall PERF 3 Slot 2 (Because +1 is 12)
    If Kemper is defaulting to slot 1 when it encounters an empty slot, this string would recall Perf 3, Slot 2, Slot 1, Slot 2 . Which is what I'm seeing. It's backwards of what I think I'm sending. If Kemper was ignoring the empty slot command then I would think I should see Perf 3, Slot 2, Slot 2 (because command ignored), Slot 2.

BUT if all that is true then it is super strange that when I send a single line of :
    1: C0 0C 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 11 - Kemper Recalls Perf 3 Slot 1 As expected.
    Why is this Strange? Because shouldn't it be recalling Perf 2 Slot 5...Which is EMPTY? So if Kemper is ignoring the command, then it should stay on the the last Perf# Slot #. But if its defaulting like described above, Then one would think the Kemper would recall Perf 2 Slot 1. AND.. It doesn't do either.

So the Question now becomes. What is Kemper actually doing when it receives a command for an Empty slot? Is it Ignoring it (because it doesn't appear to be) or is it defaulting to the next closest slot with something in it? What is it actually doing? Perhaps the Admin can shed some light here. Personally I don't believe its ignoring the command, But clearly I've been tricked by this machine before....

Regardless, I believe my problem is totally solved by sending with the +1 in consideration (I wont be in front of the Kemper for a few hours to try it)

But in theory..

1: C0 0C 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 10

2: C0 0B 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 11

3: C0 0C 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 10

Should recall Perf 3 Slot 1, Slot2, Slot1.

As I want it too.

Making the Admin spot on about the +1 Value and the true resolution to my ignorance. And he didn't just give up the answer. He gave me all the info and made me work the problem. So now I think I actually understand better and programming the Kemper will be much easier moving forward. So thank you Admin.

OK So Maybe its not stupid Simple.

Sorry I should have have indicated I'm using a Kemper Stage,

# 1 Correct as this is exactly the case with my rack.

#2 I understand that the PC# Is logical range and the MSB and LSB are numerical. This is Reapers Default. I left it alone because I agree the MSB and LSB are redundant (and therefore figured it didn't really matter as the information would be ignored), But that's just how reaper spits out the stream. Yes I do have the ability to change those values, however, The Kemper is NOT responding as if the the PC# is too high by +1. If I Send ...

0: B0 00 00 [CC0 Bank Select MSB] chan 1 val 0

1: B0 20 00 [CC32 Bank Select LSB] chan 1 val 0

2: C0 0C 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 11

It Recalls Performance 3 slot 1 - as expected. It also appears to me it is also just ignoring the MSB or LSB as they are redundant.

3. The PROFILER doesn't load Slots which are not enabled. Related MIDI commands are ignored. The purpose of disabled Slots is, that these cannot be loaded accidentally via foot control. 100% as it should. Nothing in a slot, nothing to recall, and you can't. But I think it is important to note that the PC#'s Don't get re ordered because a slot is empty. Those empty slots are accounted for. Thus Performance 1, slot 1 PC #1, Performance 2, Slot 1, =PC #6, Performance 3, slot 1 =PC #11 etc. etc.

4. Bank Select MSB and LSB are redundant. There is no need to send Bank Select MSB since it is always Bank 1 (value 0). And as long as you don't exceed Performance 26 Slot 3, you always stay within Bank Select LSB Bank 1 (value 0). Agreed. But I will exceed Performance 26 and will change the bank value as necessary.

But none of this addresses the real issue.
    When I send this ...

1: C0 0C 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 11

2: C0 0B 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 12

3: C0 0C 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 11

Why does the Stage load Performance 3 slot 2, Perf 3 Slot 1, Perf 3 slot 2 ?

And when I send ONLY
    1: C0 0C 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 11
    It loads Perf 3 Slot 1
    as expected

Why is it not responding correctly when there are multiple commands in the midi file?

Eh.. I still don't think we have a handle on this. Hopefully someone at Kemper jumps in and clears this up.
    If you look at the Screen on the Kemper it tells you Exactly what the MIDI PRG # and the MIDI Bank # is that will recall that performance and slot. to do this you have to recall a performance in performance mode, then push the Browser button and then push the performance button and this info will appear in the lower left of the screen.

The MIDI PCs appear to be in standard numerical format, meaning you don't subtract 1. EG: Performance 1, slot 1 says MIDI PRG #1, MIDI Bank #1, If you push the up arrow and go to performance #2 it says MIDI PGM #6, MIDI Bank #1. Therefore Performance 1, slot 1 is 1, slot 2 is 2, slot 3 is 3, slot 4 is 4, and slot 5 is 5 because MIDI PGM # 6 Is slot 1 of performance #2. AND MIDI PGM #11 is slot 1 of Performance 3. Follow me?
    Now If you send this:

It Recalls Performance 3 slot 1 - as expected
    And If you Send...

2: C0 0C 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 12
    It Recalls Performance 3 slot 2 - as expected

OK. We have control and are getting expected results.

NOT SO FAST. Say that PERF 3 Slot 1 is your verse tone and slot 2 is your Lead tone. You're gonna start with your verse (slot 1 ) and switch to your Lead (Slot 2) and then Switch back to your Verse (Slot 1). To do that you would send:

3: B0 00 00 [CC0 Bank Select MSB] chan 1 val 0

4: B0 20 00 [CC32 Bank Select LSB] chan 1 val 0

5: C0 0B 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 12

6: B0 00 00 [CC0 Bank Select MSB] chan 1 val 0

7: B0 20 00 [CC32 Bank Select LSB] chan 1 val 0

8: C0 0C 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 11

BUT when you send this, what happens is :
    You get Slot 2, then Slot 1, then Slot 2 - Its totally backwards of what it should do.

But If you send this:

2: C0 0C 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 12

3: B0 00 00 [CC0 Bank Select MSB] chan 1 val 0

4: B0 20 00 [CC32 Bank Select LSB] chan 1 val 0

5: C0 0B 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 11

6: B0 00 00 [CC0 Bank Select MSB] chan 1 val 0

7: B0 20 00 [CC32 Bank Select LSB] chan 1 val 0

8: C0 0C 00 [Program Change] chan 1 val 12

You get Slot 1, Slot 2, Slot 1, again, the exact opposite of what you sent, but getting the results you need.

WTF?

And before anyone says are you sure you're sending them in the right order? The strings above were copied directly out of the MIDI Activity Log in Reaper. So Yes I'm sure.

I haven't even started playing with 3,4,5 slot patches yet and I'm going to need to. So.... HELP?
    I'm guessing this is something stupid simple I'm missing but.....

Obviously I'm in a 80's band and were doing that song. I've got the keyboard player working on it. We could also just use a track to cover it. But it would have been cool if I could pull it off on guitar. I'd been messing around with it for awhile without success, or anything I'd consider using live. Its good to know that everyone pretty much agrees it ain't gonna happen, at least not without Kemper giving us a new magic effect. Thank you all for your knowledge and graciousness to share it. You are much appreciated.

Hi All,
    Yes, YES I did search for stutter effects. And yes I am playing around with the tremolo effects.
    Specifically I'm trying to recreate that stutter guitar in the beginning of the Information Society song What's on your Mind (Pure Energy) This is an old 80's tune so one one think we should be able to easily recreate that sound today. But honestly its probably not even a Guitar as there is no guitar player EVER listed in the band!
    So I'm looking for suggestions on how YOU would go about recreating this sound for Guitar. I'm sure there must be a few different ways to cook this up. Here's a link Whats on your Mind (Pure Energy)

Maybe I can bring this thread back to life.

Ok.... so guys in cover bands are looking for performances for for cover songs. Simple as that. I don't need to recreate Neil Schon's rig. I don't need to nail his tone dead on. I mean, I don't have his fingers so its never gonna happen anyway. I just need to get close on "Lights" or Don't Stop Believing. Etc. Now I realize those are actually pretty easy ones and I've already built those. But lets say I get a call to sub for some cover band and they do a bunch of stuff I don't regularly do. It'd sure be nice to have some starting places. And with the talent using Kemper there has got to be a bunch of people who've already gone through the process.
    Look at the job the Praise and Worship guys are doing. Its amazing. I can buy 100 P&W songs from Tone Junkie for like $1 each when they're on sale, and that dude is making money because to sit down and program 100 songs for my church gig...or buy em all for $100 and tweak to my liking. TAKE MY MONEY! There are guys out there that not only give you the entire performance for like $3.99 but also give you a video of how to play the song and when to push the buttons. So come on, somebody's gotta be doing this for "Still of the Night" or "Crazy Train" or "Play that Funky Music", "Sweet Home Alabama" and Yes I realize Michael Britt has done a bit of this. But there has to be tons of this stuff around right? Where is it?