Kemper Player vs Quad Cortex

• It was intended as tongue in cheek not a statement of fact.

The point is simply that the number of gigs available (at least here in the UK) is constantly dwindling. Most of the pubs that still have live music are still paying the same amount per gig as they were in the 1980's. That part isn't a tongue in cheek joke unfortunately. In Scotland pub gigs are paying around £300 - £500 for a full band, with all their own gear including PA, doing a couple of hours with a break. Of course there are more professional gigs and corporate work the competition for them is high. The days of the weekend warrior pub circuit which a huge number of semi pro players used work regularly or cut their teeth on before moving unto a higher level is dead and buried over here unfortunately. Live music venues are closing almost weekly. Even some great venues that have been going for decades have been closing over the last 12 months. It is tempting to blame it all on COVID but the truth is the decline was already well underway for many years before that. COVID just put the final nail in the coffin.

Therefore, if younger players want to make a living from music they need to think differently and exploit different avenues and markets. I'm not being a grumpy old man shouting at clouds and ranting about how good things were in the old days but everything sucks now. Far from it actually. I believe there is hope for good younger players (and even old farts from my generation) but the opportunities are simply different. Trying to make a living/career playing live music venues (other than weddings and corporate functions) isn't worth the effort now and won't be in future unless the world changes significantly.

That is only what I am seeing here in Scotland and hearing from other parts of the UK. The situation may be very different in other countries though.

This is basically the situation in the US as well.

• It was intended as tongue in cheek not a statement of fact.

ah, yeh, sorry if i misunderstood. I am a grumpy old sod who has seen the UK gig scene change over the last 30 years, so i'm with you on that.

Kind of pleased i'm not a teenager starting out now. I dont know if its me getting old or what but i think many of the young lack the passion and commitment (or too many distractions, social expectations) or want instant results.

Saying that, i've met some great young musicians and with determination they can apply themselves and wish them the all the success they deserve but they are up against many more hurdles than i was back in the day.

sorry if we've gone off topic

• Starting with rig one on bank one, my initial impressions were that this sounded just like I would expect an amp through a guitar cabinet to sound. I know users have talked about Kemper feel but I never understood what that meant. Now I know. You feel like you are one with the unit and not separated across a digital divide like I feel with other modelers including the Quad Cortex. It was a great experience. I experimented with other rigs and found a few more I really liked.

That's interesting because I had exactly the same experience. And it happens again and again. I've been using the Quad Cortex again for several weeks now and yesterday I used the Kemper Player . I had that amp feeling again. It's not that it's not there with the Quad Cortex. You only notice it when you switch. It's hard to describe. In any case, the Kemper works better for me live.