Kemper - Re-Amping Gain staging question

• I've set up my Kemper in Cubase so I can send DI guitars to the Kemper and re-amp them.

It all works fine. I'm using my UA Apollo 8 as Ins and Outs and on the Kemper I'm going mono into the Return Input on the Kemper which I set to Re-amp.

I'm using the main Kemper outs for the return.

The question I have is that on the Apollo I have set the inputs into MIC mode to get a loud enough signal from the Kemper. Not a big deal but shouldn't it really be line signal coming from the Kemper.

I'm sending loud enough signal to the Kemper.

• the Profiler delivers a line signal at all of its outputs. The DI signal represents the original volume level of your guitar if git/analog or DI/low is selected as the output source for the Direct output. If you boost that signal with the clean sens parameter in the input menu you should set the reamp sens value to a negative value to compensate for the boost. Otherwise, the rig you use for reamping will have more gain compared to playing the same rig with your guitar.

• I'm guessing I must be doing something wrong.

Here are my input and output settings. I'm getting good signal into the Kemper.

I'm using the Kemper Main Jack Outputs going into the UA Apollo.

If I put the Apollo into line mode I have to crank the gain all the way up and still barely get a signal.

If I put the Apollo into MIC mode I get good signal but have to PAD the Kemper output so I'm not too hot.

The picture I took showing the low level on the Apollo was with the PAD button off on the Kemper.

• I've recorded a dry guitar through my UAD Apollo instrument input which I'm now sending to the Kemper which I've set up as an external FX in Cubase.

The signal I'm sending to the Kemper is loud enough. Its just coming back mad quiet. It's more like 60 or 70db from being line level. Even cranking the UA Apollo gain up to the max is not enough.

Amp and Rig volume seem normal to me. It's roughly the same volume output no matter which profile I load.