Looking for a tighter tremolo

• I have a section of a song during which the guitar has a deep 8th note tremolo with a ducking effect so that the busier passages stay unaffected. Just the ringouts get the heavy trem. I’ve got the sound dialed in, and the MIDI changes coming from Pro Tools, but it feels inconsistent for some reason. When it’s right, it sounds awesome. But during some shows, it feels as though the “zero point” of the trem isn’t quite on beat. Other shows, it feels like the trem isn’t quite as deep (or maybe as though the trem isn’t ducking in the same way). As far as the zero crossing, I’ve tried shifting the MIDI event in Pro Tools slightly in either direction, but it just never feels consistent. I’m looking to gain some clarity about how the ducking parameter is “measured”, as well as maybe get tips about how to make sure the tremolo is acting in time with the session in PT consistently. Would this be as simple as maybe adding a CC on two consecutive beats in the session to simulate the tap tempo? Also curious about what exactly the crossover parameter is doing. Is it that the frequencies below the crossover are fully unaffected by the trem? The manual seems to say that, but not as clear as I’d hope. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I imagine the obvious answer to this being to set the KPA to receive MIDI clock from the DAW. However, for reasons related to ProTools issues, the playback sessions are not actually on the grid in PT. There is a single tempo in the session, and all songs are simply “floating”. It does make MIDI more tedious to edit, but I’m told that this eliminated many of the bugs they were experiencing in the days before they switched to this setup.

Edited once, last by aaronbagby (March 18, 2023 at 12:18 PM).