2/12 Kones versus my 72 Greenback 4/12

• I just received 2 Kones which I put in my Genz Benz

( George Lynch ) cab & prior to the Kones I used the cab without the Kones and liked the sound . I mostly played my powered Kemper through my 4/12 , 1971 Greenback cab and always loved the sound . Now with the Kones in the 2/12 , ( Kone imprint On ,Monitor Cab off & Bass boost On ) I find the sound somewhat synthetic & not as smooth as the original Greenback which seems to take out the spikey fuzz which I find sounds synthetic to me . I’ve tried a few other imprints like Creamback which is close but on the mid to high gain setting I can’t say I’m feeling it . I haven’t much played with the directivity yet ... Any thoughts ?

• I had a Marshall 412 with pre Rola Greenbacks too (Feb 1972 dated). Great cabinet but I never liked 412s so I sold it and bought a PRS with the proceeds.

Bear in mind that a 412 cabinet has a lot of phase cancellations going on in front of the cab. These tend to take out a lot of the spikes you referred to. The issue is much less prominent with a 212. It may just be 2 v 4 speaker combination you are experiencing. Also the 212 cab with be around half the physical volume of the 412 which will have a significant effect on the tone.