Be aware of the digital sonic artifacts (aliasing) in your KPA!

• That is digital aliasing you are hearing, and is what I, and many other players are have been hearing since the KPA came out. Be patient, because it could possibly be a long time before it gets fixed.

• I just checked it - most of my patches have no such problems.

Aliasing is only be there when:
    I play on the high e string (20fret and above)
    The rig needs a lot of distortion (more than 15:00)
    And a lot of treble (definition high and/or EQ before the amp block to boost the high frequencies)

But it's still there.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• That's probably because they are not aware of the aliasing sounds...
    (last I checked on this thread, CK reported them as having them fixed in a previous update)

I think they are well aware of the aliasing, as well as a couple of other artifacts that I reported to them months ago, but it's obvious it's not yet fixed. They were able to improve the aliasing in the distortion stomps a while back, but no real noticeable change with the amps. It does somewhat taint an otherwise pure tone.
    I wonder if it even can be eliminated in firmware... we'll see.

• I just checked it - most of my patches have no such problems.

Aliasing is only be there when:
    I play on the high e string (20fret and above)
    The rig needs a lot of distortion (more than 15:00)
    And a lot of treble (definition high and/or EQ before the amp block to boost the high frequencies)

But it's still there.

Hmmm....
    That might explain why I never noticed it in my rigs...

• I think they are well aware of the aliasing, as well as a couple of other artifacts that I reported to them months ago, but it's obvious it's not yet fixed. They were able to improve the aliasing in the distortion stomps a while back, but no real noticeable change with the amps. It does somewhat taint an otherwise pure tone.
    I wonder if it even can be eliminated in firmware... we'll see.

Then why not continue bugging them about it until it is fixed?
    When I had a few probs back in the early firmwares I raised hell... and continued bugging them with emails and soundfiles.
    Eventually they got tired of my whining and fixed everything. :P

• Then why not continue bugging them about it until it is fixed?
    When I had a few probs back in the early firmwares I raised hell... and continued bugging them with emails and soundfiles.
    Eventually they got tired of my whining and fixed everything. :P

You raise a good point, since we're coming up on 6 months now, perhaps I should contact tech support again. It probably wouldn't make a difference as I think this may possibly be a hardware limitation.

• As its a known problem since months, I guess it might be difficult or not possible to get that fixed? (if not possible to get that fixed, it would be a major restriction to KPA IMHO)

Yes, these things only happen with high gain, or/and excessive use of pinch harmonics, played very tough. But still that´s something that does not happen on real amp. On real amp on real high gain you also get some wired tones, when playing these pinch harmonics, but not these spacy alien sounds. :D

May be that´s some kind of funny feature? (no, I hate it!) :cursing:

• just thought i would add another "me too."
    i experienced this aliasing sound on day one (just over a week ago), just wanking around with the presets. this was before updating the os, sorry i didn't note the original version number before updating.

I tend to play with a lot of string feedback, which the kemper excels at vs any other tube sim i've played. so far, I have only been running through guitar cabs with cab disabled on the kemper. i am curious but doubtful if feedback works as well through frfr. depending on which harmonics take hold sometimes you do get this sound. it moves contrary to string bends so is quite audible.

after update to v1.5 it is improved, so I suppose I must have been hearing it mostly on rigs that had stomps enabled. but i can still reproduce this after the latest update.

i totally agree that this is not a deal breaker, so far it's the only thing i've found disappointing, and i do think it can be fixed in software

• No, it is not a dealbraker, that´s right, but:

It´s (imho) the only problem with sounds, rigs, tone ... that needs to be fixed.

And as the sound is the main thing for buying that machine, that should be on number one place for the Kemper crew to improve, solve. Imagine working in a studio, getting great guitar sounds out of the KPA, and then when playing the leads the sound engineer shouts "stop, what the hell is this I´m getting here?"

In my own playing I´m forced to reduce pinch h., or use another rig, or less gain. So I would like to get that problem fixed first, but as it´s known for so long now, it seems to be a hard one, or not solvable with actual hardware?

• This thread is 6 months old. I wish to be wrong but If the issue has not been solved yet, it is not a good indication. Maybe they just can't fix it due to hardware limitations as some other hardware manufacturer suggested.

• Maybe it is just me (I deal with a lot of noise at home with most gear), but I noticed some noise on some rigs that seem to be related to the pick parameter. When I center the pick parameter at 0 the noise goes away, if I move off of that it comes back.

I am not sure if it is aliasing, but when I pick the low E string hard you would hear some odd hash/fuzz come and go around the note. It was not clipping, tried different guitars, different cables.

For now I just edited all those rigs to have pick set at zero when I hear it and that reduced the noise for me. Not sure if it would help anyone else but thought I would mention it.

• This thread is 6 months old. I wish to be wrong but If the issue has not been solved yet, it is not a good indication. Maybe they just can't fix it due to hardware limitations as some other hardware manufacturer suggested.

A close friend of mine--who is a serious computer-tech-nerd--told me from the beginning that he felt it was a hardware limitation. I believed that too until a few months ago when they were able to get rid of the aliasing in the distortion stomp, I then began to have some hope that perhaps they could fix the amp aliasing as well.
    I am loosing that hope now, and it looks to me like we will likely have to wait for the next generation of KPA hardware to realize a truly pure amp emulation.

Aliasing + S/PDIF crackles = less joy.

Edited once, last by miles (October 15, 2012 at 6:58 PM).

• No, it is not a dealbraker, that´s right, but:

It´s (imho) the only problem with sounds, rigs, tone ... that needs to be fixed.

And as the sound is the main thing for buying that machine, that should be on number one place for the Kemper crew to improve, solve. Imagine working in a studio, getting great guitar sounds out of the KPA, and then when playing the leads the sound engineer shouts "stop, what the hell is this I´m getting here?"

In my own playing I´m forced to reduce pinch h., or use another rig, or less gain. So I would like to get that problem fixed first, but as it´s known for so long now, it seems to be a hard one, or not solvable with actual hardware?

Did you contact support about this? What did they respond?

• No, I did not get in contact with support about that. Since that thread has been started months ago the problem is known in the community, and as the crew is also reading and writing here, I assume that they also know about that problem, and - if they find it worth/and if it´s possible - work on a solution.

As that problem is known for so long time I also think it´s about time giving some statement to KPA owners, if that problem is a thing that can be solved, or not. To me that´s more than a minor bug/problem, as I do not want to change my style of playing, or being restricted by my amp/sound machine.

• No, I did not get in contact with support about that. Since that thread has been started months ago the problem is known in the community, and as the crew is also reading and writing here, I assume that they also know about that problem, and - if they find it worth/and if it´s possible - work on a solution.

As that problem is known for so long time I also think it´s about time giving some statement to KPA owners, if that problem is a thing that can be solved, or not. To me that´s more than a minor bug/problem, as I do not want to change my style of playing, or being restricted by my amp/sound machine.

I'm just saying... as they are quiet about this, they might not really be working on it further or even acknowledging that there's a problem.
    If it were me... I'd be bugging them with an email - just as a reminder or to see what their current view is on that.
    But then again, I'm not experiencing this prob myself, so I can only suggest what I would do... :P

• Hello Everybody out there!

I,m a happy KPA user and I just bought it last weekend. I love the sound and possibilities this magic box can produce. :)

But one thing is annoying me. When playing a "clean" sound with no gain (no stomp nor effects) I can hear that that KPA distorts the sustained tone. If you play one tone some artifacts will be audible after three or four second into that sustained tone. Then it goes away -before the tone completely dies out..
    This is of course not a big issue in amix - but it will of course be more present if you compress the signal hard.

I have tried with different guitar and the problem is still there. Theres no difference if I listen to the Headphone out, or the main, or SPDIF out.

Do anybody else have the same problem or do I just have a"bad" KPA?

Have a nice day :)