Quick Q's on OS Update

• Hi,

I just performed my first OS update from v3.30 and noticed two things which I wasn't sure how to interpret......

1) Is the Dist Sense in the Input section re-set back to zero by the OS update? I think so, but wanted to inquire....
    2) What happened to cabs that had volume settings other than zero? (Since it is no longer an option in the Cab section, only in Amp section)

Thanks for any insight,

Regards,

Sonic

• 1) Very likely - I think sometimes the input and output parameters were reset when updating.
    2) the volume in amp section and cab section were ONE parameter displayed in TWO places - ie. when changing the cab volume, the change was also seen in the amp volume. They removed one of them (ie. the display of the parameter). Only a UI change, not a change of sound or number of parameters available.

• 1) Very likely - I think sometimes the input and output parameters were reset when updating.
    2) the volume in amp section and cab section were ONE parameter displayed in TWO places - ie. when changing the cab volume, the change was also seen in the amp volume. They removed one of them (ie. the display of the parameter). Only a UI change, not a change of sound or number of parameters available.

Thanks MDK. I understand about the cab volume parameter being consolidated, what I'm trying to understand is what happened when upgrading if you had cabs with that parameter other than zero? Let's say I had a Cab X with volume 2.0. Upon upgrade to v4.0 OS that parameter is gone. Since it is a cab, and not a rig, there is no Amp to affiliate it with to carry the volume setting over. So what happens? Does the upgrade process essentially "toss" the previous cab volume setting or does it somehow incorporate the volume setting directly into the cab characteristics?

• Ah.

Well, you can't have cabs by themselves, they're always a part of a rig. Meaning, you can't load "just a cab" in the kemper, they're always loaded as part of a rig with an amp section. So the parameter is stored with that rig, and thus not lost.

Then what is actually happening when I load a rig and then save off just the cab? It shows up as a standalone cab at that point which I can load into any rig. And if I'm not mistaken that cab maintains it's own set of parameter independent of the rig from which it originated. Or am I completely overlooking something??

• Then what is actually happening when I load a rig and then save off just the cab? It shows up as a standalone cab at that point which I can load into any rig. And if I'm not mistaken that cab maintains it's own set of parameter independent of the rig from which it originated. Or am I completely overlooking something??

I don't know exactly what goes on behind the scenes. I would think that - also in the earlier OS 3.3 - the cab is separated from the parameters of the rig (eg. the cab volume). That's just an assumption on my part, but I'd think that's how it works.

• I don't know exactly what goes on behind the scenes. I would think that - also in the earlier OS 3.3 - the cab is separated from the parameters of the rig (eg. the cab volume). That's just an assumption on my part, but I'd think that's how it works.

Right, that's my assumption as well, and how it appeared IIRC. Meaning the cab volume became specific to that instance of cab that was saved off separate from the rig. So when the OS upgrade subsequently occurred the cab no longer had a volume parameter. Which is understandable. But I had specifically set the volume of one cab up a few notches. Which is the basis for my question of what then happened to that setting? Is it tossed away entirely as no longer having any meaning relative to the cab, or is the intrinsic baseline cab volume now adjusted relative to the last volume setting prior to the OS upgrade?

Not sure I explained that very well. :P

• Right, that's my assumption as well, and how it appeared IIRC. Meaning the cab volume became specific to that instance of cab that was saved off separate from the rig. So when the OS upgrade subsequently occurred the cab no longer had a volume parameter. Which is understandable. But I had specifically set the volume of one cab up a few notches. Which is the basis for my question of what then happened to that setting? Is it tossed away entirely as no longer having any meaning relative to the cab, or is the intrinsic baseline cab volume now adjusted relative to the last volume setting prior to the OS upgrade?
    Not sure I explained that very well. :P

Hmm... I don't know, to be honest. Did the cab volume parameter "carry over" to the rig you applied the cab to earlier?

• Then what is actually happening when I load a rig and then save off just the cab? It shows up as a standalone cab at that point which I can load into any rig. And if I'm not mistaken that cab maintains it's own set of parameter independent of the rig from which it originated. Or am I completely overlooking something??

That a saved cab maintains its own set of parameters is correct. But volume is not one of them as @Michael_dk has pointed out because previously it reflected the amp volume in another place.
    Also bear in mind that with Studio Profiles the saved cab will always contain a portion of the amp it was profiled with.

• But volume is not one of them as @Michael_dk has pointed out because previously it reflected the amp volume in another place.

Ingolf brings up a very good point - if the cab was indeed saved INCLUDING any tweak to the volume parameter, how would the kemper apply that cab to another profile which had already had its AMP volume tweaked? I think there's no change to this functionality in the later firmwares.

• Hmm... I don't know, to be honest. Did the cab volume parameter "carry over" to the rig you applied the cab to earlier?

Appears so but I would expect it to since the relationship between the amp and cab as comprising a rig is a separate entity from the cab by itself. I noticed when I browse the cabs now the one cab I had raised the volume on prior to the OS upgrade is now louder than all the rest. Which left me wondering what happened as far the OS upgrade logic and how exactly it dealt with the cab volume setting having been non-zero.

• Right, now you got it.

I tried your suggestion already about re-saving the cab again from an existing rig. But it didn't change anything..

So I'm really unsure of what exactly happened, how the OS upgrade may have transposed things or not. It's not a huge deal either way since luckily I only had a couple cabs where I messed with the volume. I was just more trying to understand what exactly happened during the upgrade.