Questions to Yamaha DXR10 users

• Covers are a great thing to do in early jams to tighten up with the other members and find common ground. But they're a no-no on many stages, because you could get the venue in trouble if you perform music written by other artists. You could also get served a legal notice yourself.

Note, this is a phenomenon of this day and age of music. In the old days, bands would be in bars playing cover after cover. But I've read threads on a drum forum about how you require a license, or the venue needs a license, if you are performing other artists work. This is because those artists get paid some money out of that licence fee for the use of their work.

You might get away with it for a while. But once you start getting bigger crowds, be sure that you will attract the attention of those music lawyers. And that could be a bad thing for your band if people have come to recognise you as a cover band.

Play original music as far as possible. Might be able to slip in a couple of covers, but mix them up and don't over perform any of them.

Thanks @nightlight for the tips. Seems like finding common ground is a crucial factor. In fact none of "us" have ever played in a band, so things may be tough at beginning. But this journey might be interesting as well ;)

• Thanks @nightlight for the tips. Seems like finding common ground is a crucial factor. In fact none of "us" have ever played in a band, so things may be tough at beginning. But this journey might be interesting as well ;)

You're welcome! I am almost jealous, I have two bands in which I play, but my third band, where I play guitar, has no members other than me. So I don't get to play guitar live. It is quite hard, as you can imagine. Spending a lot of time thinking about how I could play solo, but the genre (metal) does not lend itself to that either.