Profiler Examples...

• I thought it'd be nice to share a couple of clips/examples of the profiler that I'm currently working on for our upcoming My Heart's Desire album.. I'd appreciate any feedback you have.

The first clip has the band integrated in with it... we did the keyboards, bass and guitar work on location in Los Angeles a month or so ago at Ron Feuer's studio. I used a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 for the session as it fit in my carry on shoulder bag with the lunchbox and cables. The bag is a Tenba Pro Traveller 695, used for photography equipment but is awesome for the lunchbox and accessories; and cheap when you find them used. The 18i8 has 10 inputs so we tracked simultaneously to get an interactive feel; it's USB but no latency.

The Rhythm Guitar is a '98 Anderson Cobra, neck pickup on 6, played through Kemper Profiler with the GRS H&K Tubemeister 18 profile created by GRS Studio, (I've modified).

At 46 seconds in, the Lead Guitar is a '61 Gibson ES-175, original PAF's with the switch in the middle position, bridge volume at 10 and neck on 7, played through the Kemper Profiler with the Dumble 1978 OD profile created by Xavio (I've heavily modified the amp attributes to get the expressiveness that suits my playing style).

https://soundcloud.com/sowingtheseeds/seeds-clip-1

There's been some discussion about the use of acoustic guitars with the Kemper so this is an example that I get out of mine. This clip is just the click track with two profiler examples.
    The Rhythm Guitar is a 1949 Martin D28 with the LR Baggs M100 pickup installed and played through the Kemper Profiler with the Single Rectifier profile created by Bremen (MeBo Single Recto), though this profile indicates it was modified by Till Schleicher; I dig his stuff, especially his cabinets. (I've modified). I find it interesting how you can get a killer acoustic sound out of a Rectifier amp! Though my favorite acoustic profile is from Andy (And44), The Amp Factory, a freebie named Lazy J80 Clean.

At the beginning of the clip there're a pair of guitars doing fills and then at the end, 30 seconds in, a single lead guitar, The Lead Guitars are the 1961 Gibson ES-175 with the switch set to middle position and both volumes set to 7. The Kemper profile is the Dumble 1978 OD profile created by Xavio again heavy amp attributes modified by me.

https://soundcloud.com/sowingtheseeds/seeds-clip-2

For newbies, my takeaway from this would be to spend a lot of time in the Stack area, especially the Amp section though there is tons of benefits that come from the Cabinets area as well. It is amazing how much you can taylor the sound of any amp to your particular likes and style by getting to know the amp attributes such as definition sagging, pick, compressor, clarity, bias and shape.. even direct mix can dramatically change the sound to something totally new. With just a bit of time you can turn an amp into something magical... expressive... and totally you. Of course, I'm a newbie too with slightly more than six months in Kemperland under my belt...

Gettin' funky up in here..

• Yeah those vintage pafs sound very good indeed , the dumble profile sounds quite compressed to me ?

A martin on a recto , now this is funny Did you try the acoustic profiles from the kemper team ?

you're lucky to get such a nice band and gear

thank you Waraba!!

not running any compression or overdrive on the Dumble but now that you've said it, I'll take a look! I appreciate the feedback. The PAF's make the sound.. any sound.. I'd been playing the Anderson's for almost a year and had forgotten what Rachel, the 175 sounded like. It was really awesome on the first Seeds album back in 2010.. great jazzy tone but screamed on the solo's.. at least screaming for me after 15 years of no playing.. (but Esther, my 63' Strat really came through as well)

yeah.. the Recto warmed it up a bit and yeah... didn't think it would work but hey... that's what sound is all about. I've got other brighter profiles that I use when I want to make it edgy. There's also times when I'm looking for an optimal acoustic tone that I combine a mic with it which gives a very nice balance. Yeah, I've tried most everything for acoustics on the site but they just fell short.. maybe it's just me.. who knows.. Man just running it through a blackface Fender sounds great too!

I'm thankful and feel blessed... these guys and I go all the way back to our early youth.. 12 years old in bands together, on the road together for many years.. so when we got back together 3 years ago, it just felt right like a reunion or homecoming..

• you know that compression might have something to do with the pick attack.. I play with tortoise shells (had them since the 70's and kept them all these years)... anyway, they give a very distinct crispness and edge.. very sharp attack and when I twist my wrist or push my thumb over/forward, as in this case to get upper harmonics, they get even more compressed.. this may be what you are hearing???