Posts by ToH2002

I just read the Fractal forum and can see, that their CEO, himself, posted that the Liquid Profiling is infringing on his patent. If that ends up being true, might it not be a problem? I guess they will just settle.

Claiming that something infringes on one's patent is just this - a claim. And making that claim in a public forum is easy, cheap, and generates attention, but doesn't make it true (even though the forum members on the other forum seem to take this claim as automatically true).

Unless he-who-neeed-not-be-named puts his money behind his words and goes to court on this alleged infringement, it will remain just a statement made. And should there be a legal process initiated, it will be up to a judge to make a ruling (or up to the parties to settle). But I'm doubtful it will come to this...

Allerdings geht genau das innerhalb vom Kemper wenn man auf den ersten FX Slot verzichten kann. 🙂 Und das sogar mit 2 verschiedenen Presets in einem FX Slot wenn man das Morphing Feature dafür benutzt, was dazu führt, dass man 3 Gitarren verwaltet bekommt.

Yup - das kann so funktionieren. Bedeutet aber, alle Presets zu ĂĽberarbeiten und diesen EQ einzubauen und den Bypass-Schalter einem Switch zuzuweisen. Und der erste Slot muss gelockt sein, damit man nicht bei jedem Preset-Wechsel wieder die Gitarrenanpassung umschalten muss...

Der Wechsel der Gitarren ist beim Gig oft spontan, wechsle auch gerne mal bei jedem Song die Gitarre... und da würd ichs halt gerne so simpel wie möglich halten können (1 Knopf drücken und die ganze Performance-Reihe paßt für die z.B. Low-Gain-Output-Gitarre)

Erwarte ich da zuviel Flexibilität vom Toaster?

Mit den Bordmitteln vom Kemper bekommst Du das so "auf Knopfdruck" nicht hin. Wie wär's denn ganz altmodisch mit einem separaten EQ-Pedal (die meisten haben eine ordentliche Pegelanpassung dabei, z.B das GE-7 bis zu 15dB rauf und runter) vor dem Kemper? Dann kannst Du den Kemper für Deine "Hauptgitarre" einstellen und für die Nebengitarre dann den EQ einschalten. Da hast Du dann Pegelanpassung UND noch die Möglichkeit, den Sound der Gitte etwas zu shapen - und das alles auf Knopfdruck!

Für mehrere Gitarren musst Du dann etwas tiefer in die Tasche greifen - da gibt's z.B. den Source Audio EQ2, der hat 8 Presets, zwischen denen Du umschalten kannst. Lässt sich auch noch per MIDI fernsteuern... Ähnlich auch der Boss EQ-200 mit 4 Presets

Wäre für mich die Lösung, wenn Du nicht separate Performances je Gitarre verwenden willst...

Ganz ehrlich: bei aller Liebe zum Kemper, aber wenn Du am Strand einfach nur spielen willst, dann wäre ich für eine einfache akkugetriebene Lösung wie den Spark Mini von Positive Grid. Die kleine Kiste klingt ordentlich und ist konkurrenzlos klein, leicht und einfach. Und als Bluetooth-Speaker funktioniert sie gleich auch noch mit; Backingtracks (und mehr) sind von vorneherein vorgesehen. Und sie ist laut genug, dass das Gitarrespielen Spaß macht, aber nicht so laut, dass Du von den anderen Campern erschlagen wirst...

Ein einfaches und gĂĽnstiges FuĂźpedal mit Bluetooth gibt's auch noch (Spark Control), so dass Du Deine Sounds per FuĂź wechseln kannst - fertig ist die Strand-Session.

Wenn's etwas größer (und lauter) werden soll, dann macht ein THR30II von Yamaha auch viel Spaß - der kann schon ordentlich laut und ist auch akkubetrieben.

Das wären für mich die richtigen Tools für den Strand, bevor ich anfange, mit irgendwelchen Powerstations und dem Kemper rumzuspielen. Wäre mir persönlich einfach zu viel Gefrickel...

One aspect that can be confusing is how the Profiler deals with cabinets. There are three fundamental types of Profiles:

- Studio: Amp and Cab Profiled together

- Direct: Amp Profiled without a cab

- Merged: Combines a Direct Profile with the cab from a Studio Profile (basically create a Direct and a Studio Profile of the same amp. Store the cab with the Direct profile to create what's called a Merged Profile. Now you have Studio and Merged versions.

Just to add to Ruefus ' excellent explanation: when you turn off the cab part of a Studio profile (in order to use a physical cab or to use a different cab / IR), the Kemper can't exactly KNOW the "cab" part of the profile, as it would in a Merged profile. But it takes a pretty good guess at what the cab does to the sound and tries its best to remove that.

Usually pretty decent, and definitely will do in a pinch, but if you want to regularly use profiles with AND without cabs, it's definitely better to use Merged profiles

Are there any tricks to help sustain and keep a thicker sound when taking the gain down a tad?

Try using a compressor before the amp - the Compression parameter of the amp block should only affect clean signals, according to the manual. Careful with the "attack" parameter of the compressor - if your attack values are too low, the compressor will kick in immediately, effectively killing your initial transient and making your sound flat and lifeless. Longer attack values let your initial pick sound get through the comp quickly, before the compressor "flattens" the decay phase.

I want two different delay mixes for the same delay. One higher mix for lead and one lower mix to be able to use the delay for a rhythm if need be. I want the delay to be connected to an instant access switch to be able to turn it on or off at will while at the lower mix and not in morphing mode.

TBH, you just want a bit too much at the same time ;)

Essentially, you need to make a decision: do you want to use Morph to change between "flavors" of the same slot - then use morph on the mix parameter to turn effects on or off between "base" and "lead" settings. But then switching effects on and off "manually" via the stomp buttons will mess up your morph mechanism.

OTOH, if you want "rhythm" and "lead" settings, plus the ability to manually switch effects in and out, you'll need to use separate slots for rhythm and lead.

Can't have your cake AND eat it...

So reconnected the whole setup as it should be (my guitar, my wireless, into the Kemper, on the CAB from the rehearing room) -> no problem at all and I could play the whole night without any issues! WTF??

You mention a wireless connection - have you tried using a cable instead? Could it be that your wireless connection is suffering from temporary external interference, causing the signal to get messy? That would explain why the same setup is at times unproblematic and faulty at other times...

Independent of local legislation that does or doesn't override the original intent of the vendor, I'd at least encourage to respect the original intent of the publisher of the profile. Many explicitly state what they want and don't want on their website, e.g. Tone Junkie:

The fine print: All amp brands are trademarked by their respective owners and are in no way affilliated with Tone Junkie. You are purchasing a license to use these profiles for your own personal and/or professional use but profiles are not for resale or any other unlicensed distribution, free or compensated.

I'd agree with Ruefus regarding the honor system - let's at least honor the will of the original profile maker. It's a small market, and I think these guys deserve every penny coming to them.

OTOH I could agree that if you're selling your Kemper with the profiles, the profile maker should also be honor-bound to agree to transfer the usage rights. After all, you're not duplicating the licenses, simply transferring them. That should consider "fair use" - in layman's terms...

Sorry to disagree here - when you "buy" content for the Kemper, you actually buy a license to use it. This license can only be transferred to a new user with the agreement of the vendor - and most profile vendors explicitly forbid this in their terms and conditions.

So, legally you can't do this without explicit consent from the vendor - you might want to send them an email, but prepare for the answer being "no".

Of course, you can still just do it and hope no one cares enough to sue...

WĂĽrde es gehen wenn ich die mich auf eine Seite pane und nur mit der jeweiligen Seite vom main out in den Kemper gehe?

Na klar - Du musst eigentlich noch nicht mal auf eine Seite pannen - das bringt nur etwas mehr Pegel, sonst nix. Du mischst ja zwei Mono-Signale - das Ausgangssignal müsste entsprechend auf beiden Seiten das gleiche sein (solange Du beide Signale in die Mitte pannst). Wenn Du auf eine Seite pannst, dann wird nur der gemischte Mono-Pegel auf dem einen Ausgang angehoben und auf dem anderen abgesenkt; am Inhalt ändert sich rein gar nix ;)

In a pinch you could use your phone and the free TONEX version without spending a penny except for a adapter to a connect your guitar to your phone.

As long as you only use one sound per song, you could use a phone- or tablet-based backup solution, but if you need to switch sounds on a regular basis, this would be too reduced and fiddly for my taste. But sure, you could pair your phone/tablet with a bluetooth switch like the Airturn BT500S; that would give you a decent emergency solution.

But TBH, I'd rather carry a simple and more rugged Valeton - to use a phone or tablet on stage, you'd to carry an audio interface and a bluetooth pedalboard with your tablet/phone - all this together just feels too fragile and fiddly to be trusted in the heat of the battle. And with the audio interface plugged in, you can't even charge the d*** thing, because the USB port is already full. Nah...

I see two pragmatic options for backup of any Kemper setup:

1. full replacement: you want to replace your current setup as invisibly as possible - same sounds, same feel. Then I'd say the best option is to get a Kemper Stage. You can carry it in a gig bag (throw in a small palmer amp if you need to drive a passive speaker), it can act as a replacement for the remote as well, and it can do double duty as fly-in-gig equipment where you can't take your rack with you.

2. emergency backup: in case of the Kemper going down or crazy, you just want something to somehow limp through the rest of the gig. So you need something to credibly provide the handful of bread and butter sounds from clean to lead with a minimum of fuss. For that, I'd go for any decent entry-level modeler, provided they have enough buttons to have all your essential sounds at the tip of your foot. For this, I'd probably go for either a Pod Go or a Valeton GP-200. Sound-wise definitely good enough to limp through a gig, and both have enough buttons to have at least four patches on direct access, so you can survive most songs without having to change banks or kneel down to fiddle with dials and such.

The last criterion is what would disqualify something like the Helix Stomp for me - sure, small enough to carry in your guitar bag, but too small button-wise for real-time on-the-spot patch changing (unless you can get through the night on 2 or 3 sounds, which I can't). The Stomp XL is nicer, but the button layout doesn't feel comfortable (to me) to survive a full gig with it as a main device.

Just my 0.02 EUR - YMMV...

Cheers,

Torsten

Ehe ich fĂĽr meinen Auftritt in 15 Minuten einen PROFILER ĂĽbernehmen mĂĽĂźte, dessen aktuellen Zustand ich gar nicht ĂĽberblicke, wĂĽrde ich garantiert meinen eigenen fertig konfiguriert mitbringen.

Da bin ich 100% bei Dir - für mich ist das der zentrale Charme von Geräten wie dem Stage (oder dem QC), dass man das Teil einfach im Rucksack zum Gig mitbringen kann. Beim Marshall Stack ist das ja weniger praktikabel (fly-in gigs...), aber mit den aktuellen kleinen Bühnengeräten braucht's eigentlich nur einen anständigen FRFR oder eine ordentliche Monitor-Box vor Ort, dann ist das mit dem Festival geritzt. Und selbst bei unterschiedlichen FRFRs noch deutlich berechenbarer als mit dem Geraffel, das sich auf manchen Festivals oder in manchen Clubs mit Haus-Anlage auf den Bühnen so findet...

Not using S/PDIF myself, but a quick comment from a user and developer perspective: changing the behavior of a device

• without telling the users very explicitly
    • without an option to revert to the old behavior
    • resulting in a lot of broken workflows that have been established over years of usage

isn't really user-friendly - also breaks the "principle of least surprise". When I introduce a modification that behaves differently from established behavior, I try to make it optional (where possible and useful) - and I make the default setting of that option so that the "old" behavior persists.

Doesn't really matter what the "correct" 0 dB level is - users have worked with the current setting for quite some time and established their workflows around it - this change breaks their workflows, which is definitely unpleasant - and could be avoidable. Simplest solution (if you don't want to open the volume control can of worms) would be a simple switch in S/PDIF options: "+6 dB / 0 dB", with the default being the old "+6 dB" (in CK-speak) setting.

Makes sense?

Cheers,

Torsten