Posts by TheSystem

Sounds good, but I want more low end (almost like 808 low so my subs really punch). ;) I think it would soften up the mix a lot if you added more. This tune is aggressive enough to have more lows.

I added a Linn Drum Kick sample and tweaked a plugin I had on the kick. The kick SHOULD have a lot more weight to it now. Please let me know how your kicker sounds.

I listened to This is How You Remind Me drums closely. People will hate me but I like what Moi did on FGL a lot.

I added that "This tune is aggressive enough to have more lows." after your reply. If I was listening to the tune in my car (I have 2x12 kicker subs), that is what I would want rather than having to increase my radio's bass EQ.

If you listen to Nickelback's This is How You Remind Me, Photograph, and Someday, etc you will hear what I believe is almost perfect lows for metal. Their mixes are phenomenal.

I will have a listen.

I wonder if Joey Moi (?) produced those. I will listen. People bag on NB but what I have heard (a long time ago) was great production.

Right now it jumps between 86 and 92BPM. 92 happens at what I call a Chorus. At the last Chorus around 1:30s it stays at 92 for the remainder.

Maybe I'llt try doing the linear (ramp it up e.g.) thing to make it less noticeable or smaller BPM increase. I have done this on a few tracks but it seems Reaper acts oddly IIRC like editing becomes a challenge. I do not plan to edit the tracks so this shouldn't matter and I know Jamstix (drum SW) can handle it.

Thanks

PS. I had forgotten about the BPM increase and while listening to the track after a long I was wondering what in the heck Jamstix was doing at times but of course it was the tempo map I made. I really HATE having to apologize to drummers especially virtual ones :) Although, I have played with a few tired and drunk drummers but I was usually drunk too!

Sounds OK. Mix maybe a little too compressed ... :/

LOL. You called it there I would say. The 2-Buss was a mess. I guess I was trying different comps at some point and somehow they were all enabled!

After redoing the 2-Buss IMO this mix is now WAY better and much more dynamic. It Peaks at -0.5dbTP, LUFS-I is -9.5 and DRA 3.2 LU. No clue what these were prior to the 2-Buss changes.

A couple of days ago I pulled this project up for the first time in about 2 years. It has come a long way since with all of the help and advice I got from everyone.

Thanks to all

Brian

Sounds OK. Mix maybe a little too compressed ... :/

Nice solo harmonies in the end :thumbup:

What happens with tempo / BPM at 0.39 and 1.00 ?

Then again at 1.33 ...... Intentional, or is that the " Rookie mistake" ? 8o

Cheers !

i increased the BMP in those spots :) too much?

i probably have some 2-Buss compression going on that I can loosen up for more dynamics.

Thanks

Brian

My preference would be to cut the mids on the lead guitar to soften it up. Add more low end on the kick and maybe not as much tightness. EQ the "bell ring" out the snare. And also add more low end to the left and right guitars to give it more meat and bite.

I'm only critiquing hard because your play is top notch!

Check out RigKeeper. It's a plugin so you can copy and paste your profile to the track. A lifesaver for me.

DamianGreda
    March 19, 2021 at 1:54 AM

I just made some changes. I add some Samples to kick using Slate Trigger. It sounds more rounded now IMO and I dropped some of the high end on it slightly with a shelf.

I also got rid of a lot of the snare ringing. I like some ringing so you will still here some but not nearly as much.

I did some thickening on the side guitars. I reduced the low mids in the solo and brought the volume up 0.5 db

I think it sound better now.

Thanks for listening and providing solid feedback. I appreciate it. So many things go into a track like this. Sometimes challenging when you go it alone so again thanks for the feedback. Helps me tons.

Brian

well this sucks! just as I thought, poor notes. not that it helps but i did at least label the tracks where I used the Kemper but not what profile. oops.

looking at my Reaper session, i also used Line 6 Native and my DIY ISO cab.

i better work on my note taking.

Thanks for call-up bro'. :D

I can't comment on anything bass-related 'cause I lack the facility to hear it right now.

As for the forwardness of the vox, I think it's fine but could use a tiny bit of fairy dust in the form of some subtle delay. Just a slapback or two, mixed right-down so you don't really "hear" it, but moreso sense it gelling with the mix a little more.

That said, it's pretty-damned close already IMHO.

Good job Brian!

Thanks Guys

I will do some more work on it. I did add some UAD Studio D and more Delay from Soundtoys to the Vox in the last mix. I also did some volume automation here and there on various aspects, vox, gtrs, drums.

I also tweaked the 2-Buss which is probably explains what Per mentioned.

After Bengals game, I can work it :)

Great track, great vocals with a tragic story. Really great use of the dual guitar solo too. Thanks for sharing the story. As much as the vocalist is so key here I’d want to find a way to mix the guitar and drums a little higher so that they can back up the power and grind there.

I just did some tweaks to my mix. I ditched the Steven Slate samples for something less metal sounding and did some rebalancing.

Any better?

Great track, great vocals with a tragic story. Really great use of the dual guitar solo too. Thanks for sharing the story. As much as the vocalist is so key here I’d want to find a way to mix the guitar and drums a little higher so that they can back up the power and grind there.

Thanks for listening Per and providing feedback.

I played and recorded this in my home studio except for the keys and vocals (of course). I created the drum track using Jamstix.

I will open up the Reaper session and have a listen. I mixed this in my last home studio. We have since moved so it will be cool to revisit this song in my new setup. I use many plugins including UAD. Lately I have been 'converting' over the UADx where that might apply. I will do the same to this one.

Thanks again.

I forgot to say that a couple of the other guys i was jamming with at the time were a lot closer to the singer. They really appreciated hearing it since they had not heard it in so long and most likely didn't remember it anyway.

It was a real emotional moment for them since to them it was just music until they heard that familiar voice. They told me that hearing this helped them to heal just a little more knowing that our friend live on through the music he made.