Posts by mnewse614

Have you tried tone matching with the Axe though? Done it with very good results, I must say, with a few of my own amps and compared to the kemper profiles of the same set ups as well. Done the same with bias "amp matching". All could get very close to the sound of my "real" rig. It's easier to do things wrong with bias and axe, in that regard, of course.

It offers less Kemper to same result axe

Two amps of the same make and model can (and often do) sound different, so just because your buddies amp sounded like the AX8's model doesn't mean every amp of the same make and model will, and that's the difference. The KPA isn't perfect, but it does allow a user to capture their specific amp. The Axe FX's amp models are based on reference amps that may or may not sound like your particular amp, even if it's the same make and model. Granted, the Axe FX has enough tone shaping tools that I'm sure you can build a preset that can sound like it, but the KPA can do it quickly, and that's one of its advantages. Profiling saves time.

I have used a ax8 mark profile next to my buddies mark and was dead on, I have used my kemper with ola, reampzone, and other mark profiles and got buried, yes I know my gear. Kemper has tons of room to improve before they are leaders of innovation

I also di profiled my vht pitbull and the output to speaker was not captured that’s why I use a slot for eq instead of something useful

Yes it does. The KPA can capture the sound of your actual rig. The Axe is great, but the models are limited to the sound of the reference amps that the company bases their models on.

And the kemper also has same limitations but more by a more extreme margin as their eq is wrong, but why is it considered reference amp in kemper? Cause your limited to the reference amp and the profiler, also take your profile and play through the same cab with poweramp and tell me the kemper 100% covered lows and mids

I hate to be the negative Nancy but...to do it all again I would of gone axefx xl+, I found the ax8 limiting and the kemper even more limiting. I like the fact with the Kemper I can dictate what amps I want then a preselected here it is platform, but in the end how many versions of a Marshall can you have?

Amp sim to amp profile really no difference and they respond the same. Fractal is better at drives and all effects, I’m still using outbound hardware cause of imperfections.

I thought the kemper would be better at profiling the true amp as a di profile, but I was wrong, in the end the kemper has the same disconnect from a real cab as the axe, but the axe includes a speaker resonance option in the amp block to compensate, so I don’t have to use a spot for it.

The kemper is based on their tone, the axe you can dial in your tone, and damn near as you would on the front of the amp. Throughout frfr and being simple amp tone I love the kemper but to invest again it doesn’t do anything better than axe and doesent do half of it either

Now let’s talk about running dual amps, cabs, wet dry rig and all in one box, it’s why Larry Lalond uses a kemper for Primus gigs, and seems you need room as your sets get more complicated

Also Fractal is constantly improving not just amp modeling but effects etc, I’ve only been a kemper user for 6 months but I feel listening to public response and wanting or thinking there’s room for improvement is limited. The Kemper and axefx run the same components but axe is upgraded every couple months, I have more room in my machine based on how many profiles so huge room to grow but no growth, we get spdif upgrades or some different volume layout. I came to Kemper cause I saw room for growth in the machine but the company seems to think they nailed it, haha

It’s also like an apple vs android, android apps are free with purchase of the device, the kemper is pay to play by other users, so like a digital Randall rm100

Trust me I used a 44 with my ax8 it can deliver more than your getting, its not the amp fully, the kemper cant do whats needed for the in room sound and feeling. I would use the low cut in the speaker section to compensate for the boost, this would be better if we had separate global eqs for sure. But how do engineers solve this same problem with real amps? They use a low cut, same as house sound men, so I wouldnt worry about it. I am going for real world amp tones, and that huge bass is also real world amp tone, when I recorded with my Pitbull the engineer had to cut the low, you would have this same issue if you do real amp to torpedo its the same.

I recall that this power amp has been the cause of other cases where users were not happy with their tone.It seems like an odd combination to use a pro level preamp into a great cab with such a potential bottleneck. Definitely the weakest link in the signal chain.

Since you seem to have access to a tube amp that produces the tone you are looking for - great! Make Profiles! :)

the 44 mag isnt great but he just needs to compensate for what the kemper cant do, its all about cabinet interaction and making that cab move

I think you can even use the ducking parameter in the EQ to make the effect more pronounced on just the chugs if you don't want it colouring held-out power chords etc. I think it needs to be turned counterclockwise (ie. negative values). Don't know if it will be suitable - but maybe worth some experimentation :)

Great idea! im too knowledgeable on how ducking is or works so I will play with it. In the axefx I used a filter block set to peaking and of course the Q value and gain value would probably be different because of course these units are made by 2 different people, so I am trying now to find that gain and Q balance. I think this ducking will be very useful as I am finding the proper resonance on open E gets stronger say around C so this could balance out what I am hearing

so I found my 1979 Marshall 4x12 with original G12-65s has a resonate frequency at 115hz. I am finding since there is some resonance in the profile that minimal gain just brings out what I am missing in the profile, of course I am not at full band volume yet so some things on gain and Q will change. I have been sweeping the Q 1.5-5 to find what I want but so far I am getting that room shake I am used to with an amp and cabinet and seems even the profiles are balancing out better, things I heard or weren't hearing are now gone.

So I’ve had a light struggle using my Kemper for amp in the room sounds, when separating the cab the Kemper seems to loose the cab interaction. I remembered how to achieve this in the axefx and seems on experiment the same rule applies to Kemper. Result is moving air, chugs are deep like you would expect. I haven’t messed with it yet allot, just tried it but instantly I’m getting out of it what I felt I was missing. This is for the poweramp and cab guys to try.

Place a studio eq in x or mod slot, set the frequency to 80, Q to 5.0, and gain to 10. Now you’ll need to get volume to band levels or just louder than quiet. Play a chug and loop it or have someone chug for you, start sweeping the frequency until you hear the cab resonate could be really anywhere from 60-125 or so depending on the cab. Now that you found the resonance you can back the gain down if it’s too much or leave it if you like it there.

Tell me if it helps

Okay so now being a Kemper user for about 5 months I have been journeying from the free rig exchange to commercial profilers to see the differences and have more options etc. I have purchased different packs from about 4 different people and have been very happy with everyone. So I have always been a fan of Mark Camerons work but never in my life have been able to own anything from him. So I took a chance yesterday and bought the CCVJCM800 pack, I have yet to play it through my poweramp and cab but immediately through my dxr 8 I was super impressed. What was important to me were 1) these are profiles directly from the amp maker, who else would know if the profile stacks up against the amp better? 2) Mark plays just kemper and cabinet and so do I, I use celestion irs for my cabs, I tend to prefer all DI profiles, and I knew he would capture it correctly since we like the same set up. and 3) its just $33.00 for a Cameron CCV, im in.

The profiles have all the low end most profiles are missing and the touch and feel are there. I thought the marketing used as Mark Camerons special refining process voodoo, but whatever he is doing is on another level. I am buying the rest of his packs by Friday cause they're that good. There is no cocked wah tones, nothing thin or sterile about these profiles at all. I have owned the ax8 and used the CCV model in it and I also had the Salvation Mods Camerock module for my Randall RM100. These profiles own everything, Give them a try, I recommend them, and I would love to know Marks special sauce for profiling, if everyone produced profiles on this level there would be no Kempers in the used market.