Posts by V8guitar

I would add:

1) work out what you want it to do e.g. set up for live with a clean sound, crunch and solo sound with xxx effects that I can switch on and off. That was you don;t get overwhelmed with functionality

2) Use Rig manager to "audition rigs and sounds

3) If you find a good sound, save it and come back to it. Personally I prefer not to "overtweak"...if the sound isn;t right, move on. Don;t try to make a Fender twin profile sound like a Marshall JCM800

4) Check out Morph

5) For live use performance mode

6) If connecting to a mixing desk or interface, check that the output has the -12db box checked

I use it as an "amp" onstage at smaller venues where running FOH is unnecessary.

Totally disagree...I never play off the back line regardless of venue size because its about balance not volume.

First you have to overcome the drums, which dictates a certain volume, so you have to have a reasonable back line volume, which then means you turn up.

If the stage is small the sound will blast past your legs and deafen people in the front row and anyone further back will just hear cymbals and bass...

Like Wheresthedug I would go powered rack just for flexibility. Having played a few festivals I can drive any cab. The worst case scenario is you never use it and its cost you a bit more. There is no other real trade off as the functionality is the same.

With regards to monitor....my 10 year journey started with a guitar cab, which I found smoothed out all profiles so did not sound like the direct sound at all. I then went FRFR which was more "accurate" but that felt a little clinical...I moved to the kabinet and love it....but....I use it less and less as venues are so used to digital that they provide monitoring via foldback or I use IEM's.

The problem is that each monitoring solution has its own characteristics and so you tend to "tune" to that...but in fact the focus needs to be on FOH, and to that end I have never had more compliments on my sound since having my KPA.

Liquid profiles only provide more accurate tone control in relation to the original and no impact on the base sound. TBH the term is confusing because in reality, the profile is not "liquid", it is applying an amp specific tone stack to a profile - the profile itself is no different, hence the only point about old profiles is not knowing the starting settings. So old profiles will work but again slightly less accurately because you are not likely to know the tone settings when it was profiled.

I also agree with Steve5478 which is profiling hasn;t really changed since its inception. So it may still not gell for you, but it sounds like you perhaps didn;t find the sounds you wanted. For this, I tend to take the opposite approach that you might on a modeller...find a sound, minimal tweaking but if still no good, move onto another profile. I personally try not to turn a sound I don;t like into a sound I do. I find a sound that is 90% there and tweak...

Hope that helps.

I think I’ve had my toaster for 10 years now and the communication regarding updates has differed a little back and forth in that time. They either say nothing, take ages then drop something decent. Or they show something at a show, take ages then drop something decent. If they do the first, they’re being slow and secretive. If they do the other we have folks saying ‘where is it, it’s late?’.

Easier for me due to having seen it both ways and knowing that, whatever, the upgrades are always better than expected when they finally happen so it’s all good. I have been looking forward to a better tremolo for a loooooong time (it’s one of the first things I noticed was a step down from my strymon flint way back when). But since that time, my toaster has now got delays, reverbs, fuzz, overdrives that I am really happy with for free. Although I’d like it if they dropped tomorrow, I’m ok with it taking time as I have confidence my excited anticipation will be justified. This has been a ten year thing for me so a little longer really isn’t an issue.

Kemper is a victim of its own success...we know any change will be good, people just can;t wait ( which I get...its like waiting for Christmas) :)

Couple of minor comments:

1) I don't have too much issue with bottom end from my kabinet, so you sure its not the profile itself? Also I don;t look for too much else it gets lost in the mix

2) I had 2 kabinets and found no difference in sound so not sure 2 kones will help, it probably will be more linked to the cabinet itself

Just out of interest, why is this such an issue?I use mine purely for on stage and in fact Im using it less and less - I gigged on Friday and didn;t use it at all ( relied on monitors). My on stage sound is becoming less important to me and its the FOH that counts.

This is why developers despise setting anything but the most general of expectations. People start holding them responsible with no idea of what’s actually going on.

This has been the pattern here....any mention of dates and then people get over excited as its seen as a commitment. By doing this, it only reinforces why they stay tight lipped...I don;t blame them :)

Having bought a player, added a midi captain and power amp......guilty!!! Ha!

Obviously the power amp is optional, but yeah it was after buying that I missed the buttons in particular, although being able to assign them to almost anything really helps.

I did debate a stage but I did the opposite - the player was slightly cheaper and smaller even with the midi captain ( although that became an essential afterthought tbh) much more manageable. I think it depends on the use case...the player is a great backup but if I was talking about my main rig, I'd definetly choose the stage.

Thus, i think the best solution would be to purpose upgrades for free (or 50€ max (it's not an obligation ;)^^)) for higher Kemper's owner (products registration ; it's easy) and on the other hand a higher upgrade price point for only Player's owners....

As I have a rack and player...that is a fantastic idea.Maybe extra discount if you have the Kabinet ha!

With regards to the products, I recently demoed the Kemper player to a friend...he loved the sounds and so had a dilemma....player or Stage...or rack.

In the end he went Stage because it is the "full beans" version.

I think the player (which was asked for by us for many years don't forget) has the right place in the market at the right price point. I bought mine mainly as a backup that I just leave in my car after my rack had failed at a gig and I used the Blackstar amped 3 ( yuk)...it has of course not let me down since and so my player is the perfect backup in an emergency or fly rig for the occasional rehearsal.

I don;t really miss the effects that much but I do miss morph ( which they could offer) and the buttons/display ( which is obviously a physical limitation that Ive resolved with a paint audio midi captain)..

Unfortunately there is no "right" answer, just preference.

I have only used XLR and it sounds great. I also would not bother with a tube pre amp because that is the point of the Kemper, therefore my advice is to just use XLR input.

Things to watch/be aware of:

1) XLR input usually can involve Mic pre amp. line level is better

2) ensure the output from the KPA is at least -12db, otherwise its too hot and will clip your inputs

3) The KPA can now use USB audio as another alternative.

Thanks, I did all those things, and the most helpful was a post-pre-amp Studio EQ entitled, "Cut through the mix," which added a lot of high-end back.

....but.....

I went through the same journey, eventually realising that guitar cabs MASSIVELY colour the sound, way more than I ever realised. The Kemper just showed this up because it has so many options and the ability to go direct.

This is important because if you play live, you probably want to take your cab for monitoring but want to run direct - the sound will be massively different, and it took me ages to realise my guitar cab was masking a poor base sound.

I started with a 4x12, went to an FRFR speaker and now use the Kabinet and could not be happier.

I would never go back to a guitar cab unless I had to....

The simple answer is yes....because:

1) No tone suck

2) So many options to change without changing hardware like inductors

In addition, the ability to switch on and off just by moving it ( no clicking) is just brilliant.

Also I would not bother with a mission pedal...I bought a crybaby and modified it to be a controller...so sounds and feels like a crybaby and I love it. No-one believes its actually the kemper...

When I first got my in ears and the rest of the band didn't want to, this is exactly what I did. Admittedly it's less than ideal, but using a cheap pair of Sure 215s at the time game me essentially a pair of ear plugs and a level on my guitar. It's a good way to bring volume down and hear yourself in a rock or metal band playing loudly. You simply plug a Kemper output into the in ears.

I agree with you that it is way better to get a full band mix though.

I think if you don't have a band mix and rely on "bleed" to hear the rest of the band, what tends to happen is people take out 1 ear piece...which is very damaging, worse than both out apparently. Seen it quite a few times and for me defeats the point of IEMS.

Not really disagreeing, but we all have different methods. I send stereo XLR out to FOH and then use the stereo jacks to our own monitoring system.

I think that achieves the same thing which is a band mix rather than I have seen many times just using IEM's direct from the KPA and I never understand how you then hear the rest of the band. Few people have their own monitoring system so I think its more typical to take an aux from the desk (I could be wrong).